The Death Of EVO?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
ChickenScratch

As much as you guys are gonna hate this idea I think Steve should retire Evo to the recording studio because road wear will kill the damn thing really soon. As for replacments there is no such thing but in a live setting he certainly can play another white Jem and it would be pretty good, it's not like live tone is ever perfect enough to need Evo specifically.
SS

Ah, but it's not just tone, is it? It's the feel, too.
It's that exact familiarity, and the dependability; every guitar has its sweet spots and such, and you come to know them, and to count on them...
JEMavenger

I think Steve should have a farewell concert for EVO, and burn it at the end, then eat the ashes...muahaha

...That or sell them on ebay :mrgreen:
wireman24

I actually got in touch with Steve through his management about helping fix Evo and he said that Ibanez will be taking another look at fixing it but that he might keep me in mind. I have repaired antique furniture for many years and I believe that I could fix the problem using a technique that has worked for me in much worse situations then what I can see from the pictures of Evo. The cool thing is that the techniques used would not be noticed after it was done. I e-mailed Steve a brief description of the technique that I could use. Maybe Ibanez can use some of these ideas the next time they look at it for Steve.
SinTrade
Newcomer

Insert A Nickname wrote:To slug: I don't think it would be the same. You know, i have like the same feeling with my guitar. What you're saying is like making a clone. I'ts not the same, but let's say that your grandpa is near the end of his life, you have like the best memories of him, and you decide you want to clone him. It wouldn't be the same person. It would be just the same look, but the moments that you lived with him wouldn't be there. Remember it's not the same!!! I'ts stupid to compare your grandpa to your guitar!!! But I just needed an example.

Peace
haha ..that example was great :D
ChickenScratch

wireman24 wrote:I actually got in touch with Steve through his management about helping fix Evo and he said that Ibanez will be taking another look at fixing it but that he might keep me in mind. I have repaired antique furniture for many years and I believe that I could fix the problem using a technique that has worked for me in much worse situations then what I can see from the pictures of Evo. The cool thing is that the techniques used would not be noticed after it was done. I e-mailed Steve a brief description of the technique that I could use. Maybe Ibanez can use some of these ideas the next time they look at it for Steve.
Mind telling us a little about what you'll be doing to Evo? I'm not questioning your skills or anything just interested seeing as Evo's so much apart of being a Vai fan and we all want to look out for it's well being.

BTW, I have an interesting Evo story. Last year Steve played a little thing in NY called "Night Of 100 Guitars" where he gave a little domonstration and talked for a while. Anyways, he had Flo with him and when it was time to play it would not work, the battery was dead or something and he had to go backstage for a minute. He came back and everything was working and I shouted from the audience, "Where's Evo?" Then Steve replies, "Yeah, I shoulda braught Evo."
wireman24

I didn't say that I was actually going to try and fix EVO Mr. Vai just said he would keep me in mind. Like I said he is going to have Ibanez look at it again. What I purposed could be done was to use a two step process. The first step is to inject a strong wood adhesive into the cracks that are going through the body with a special syringe that I have. Then the body would be clamped so the crack would be closed back together. That alone should hold pretty good. The second step to make sure it would be very strong would to be to use a series of dowels matched to the wood that is in EVO's body. What I would do is drill from the back of the guitar through the crack but not all the way through the front. the dowels would be inserted and also glued into place. This would insure that the crack could not move from side to side because the dowel would be going through the crack holding the two sides together. The couple of small spots on the back of the guitar from the dowels would then be refinished to match the existing paint on EVO. I have done this on some pretty expensive pieces of antique furniture and it works beautifully. If Steve did not want to go the route of the dowels like I said earlier injecting the crack with adhesive with my syringe would more then likely hold pretty good
Reaper

I would think that a wood adhesive being injected into the body (particularly the necessary volume to fix that crack), would significantly affect the tone. It's an entirely sound idea (no pun intended) for other wood products, but on a guitar... Keep in mind how anal Steve is about his tone. being anal about tone is good, though
jmchambers5

well there are certain types of glue that are made for instruments, like violins and cellos and upright basses and such that supposedly don't screw up tone on those instruments, and i'd think that'd probably work for old evo.
fyrie

All good things come to the end - and usually for the better. I think Vai can recover ;)
calos

I know of the injection process too, it once save a guitar a bus ran over :shock: I kid you not, the body was in two peices, but still plays and sounds the same, it was a furniture maker/guitar builder that did if for me and he discribes something very like the process your discribing.

Some old-world skills just arn't taught anymore, I'm sure Mr Vai will look at every possibility, but outside of computer science I think this method has the best chance of saving Evo, where tech fails, enter the craftsman.

peace
cal

fingers crossed for Evo
Anthony
VIP
VIP

Unfortunately, Evo is beyond repair. It's a great sounding and playing guitar, but it probably couldn't stand another world tour. That poor girl has been used and abused. A few people have made suggestions as to how to stop the cracking in the body, like drilling a hole at the end of the crack and putting some sort of special screw in there, or using a different kind of wood glue to keep it from cracking, etc, but it's probably not worth it. It'll be a good recording guitar due to its tone, but it keeps going out of tune and getting out of whack with changing weather. Steve will probably have to use other guitars as "replacements," like use FLO or EVO II or something. Who knows? We'll see what he decides on the next tour, I suppose!!

Anthony
Andrew J Dampier

Hahaha Anthony-

I remember upon your 2nd visit to the Mothership, when you had the chance of playing EVO, you weren't pleased with the back of the neck...saying it felt very rough.

Good to see you've made some great advances man!

Andy Dampier-EVO V-"The Next Steve Vai" :wink:
Junebughunter

EVO, will not be replaced, and next time I go to a Vai concert I am bringing a post that says "you will be missed EVO"...

I have touched EVO once...and pogo (or is it page?) too....

EVO will not be reproduced or recreated I am sure steve will have no choice but to move on and find another baby
sniperfrommars1
Newcomer

Word wrote:Eddie Van Halen's "VH1" guitar, or the guitar that appears on the VH1 album cover art, and was later striped red, white, and black and became the "Frankenstrat" was made from Charvel Mfg. parts, which later became Charvel. They used Grover Jackson's name on the pickups and other parts until Randy Rhoads wanted a freakish shape(or it was then anyway), and that's when the first Jackson was made. They put Jackson on the headstock so that just in case the guitar's design takes a flop(or doesn't go very well in the market) they can drop the line whenever. But the guitar became popular and the design is now loved and cherished by Jackson fans and many companies have copied it(Music Yo Kramers, Epiphone, Fernandes, etc.). So now the Jackson AND the Charvel name is used.

Many think Jackson/Charvel is the same as Gibson/Epiphone when they are entirely wrong.

Eddie's Frankenstrat later recieved a Kramer neck and then I lost track. ;) :D

If a guitar is your main guitar, then of course it's going to get beat up. My Jem 7VWH is my main guitar as well and it's gotten a little beat up. Dings here and there, headstock is dinged up at the very tip, gold wearing on the bridge. But I'm ok with it because guitars aren't for show and to be looked at. They're here to be played, AND PLAYED HARD!!! Steve has many guitars so I'm sure finding a replacement wouldn't be a problem. ;)
Thats incorrect actually. THe guitar on the cover of van halen 2 was made in the charvel factory, but cobbled basically by eddie. Says so in one of his biographies I own. His original frankenstein which is on the cover of van halen one, was an old strat he had been using for quite some time. An actual original strat. He later bought a body from Linn Elsworth I beleive is the guys name, who knows runs boogie body or ellsworth guitars. THe claim from ed is that it was a second grade body, meant to be thrown out. This would become the frankenstein we know. That is if im correct. He later collaborated with Floyd Rose himself and installed a prototype of this onto that very guitar. I also beleive, although am not positive that he was then using a Paf pickup taken from his Gibson es-355. THis may or may not have been rewound by Seymour duncan *not just the company but seymour himself as legend has it*. He then later added multiple strat necks and so forth as he broke or mangled them, even at one point using a danelectro neck *never seen pictures, but this is eddies claim*. He then added a kramer neck during his endorsement deal. This is not however the neck that was digitized. It was eds kramer designed, baretta, which has 5150 painted on it. THis guitar is distinguished by having a seventh tuning key on it, and a little star painted on the headstock. Ive got an archive of info on these guitars ive been collecting and I beleive this to be true. In the old days, he fairly regularly used schaller tuners, original floyds, 500k pots, and virtually always maple necks with teeny frets like his wolfgangs now. Very bright sounding if you ask me, but I still dig his tone