The Death Of EVO?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Slug Balancer

Steve, what will you do when EVO can no longer be patched up? Have you tried reproducing EVO to the Nth degree? I've read that when Eddie Van Halen was developing his Music Man guitar, things like neck wear on his Jackson were laser read and painstakingly reproduced onto his new axe. Have you tried this sort of thing out with EVO?
The neck is an entirely new(ish) one, right? But you was able to find a satisfactory replacement. Surely the same trial & error process of replacement can be applied to the body. Even if it takes you a thousand different bodies, it has to be worth it, surely? (Don't call me Shirley)
I guess that this already crossed your mind when EVO first started cracking up. But persevere! It has to be worth it with as much "emotional investment" as you have in EVO.

:mrgreen:
Rich7620

not to be stickiler for details but Eddies neck for the music man was digitized off his 5150 kramer i can never remember him playing a Jackson
Slug Balancer

You're quite right. I stand corrected. :oops:

What's a stickiler? :D
Reaper

I get the feeling Steve will either start rotating some new axes in, using the lesser-used backups. Or perhaps have Ibanez "replace" it, and start playing vwhs until he finds one he loves...
Insert A Nickname

To slug: I don't think it would be the same. You know, i have like the same feeling with my guitar. What you're saying is like making a clone. I'ts not the same, but let's say that your grandpa is near the end of his life, you have like the best memories of him, and you decide you want to clone him. It wouldn't be the same person. It would be just the same look, but the moments that you lived with him wouldn't be there. Remember it's not the same!!! I'ts stupid to compare your grandpa to your guitar!!! But I just needed an example.

Peace
Texter

Evo actually looks more beat up than his first ever strat :shock:
Word

Eddie Van Halen's "VH1" guitar, or the guitar that appears on the VH1 album cover art, and was later striped red, white, and black and became the "Frankenstrat" was made from Charvel Mfg. parts, which later became Charvel. They used Grover Jackson's name on the pickups and other parts until Randy Rhoads wanted a freakish shape(or it was then anyway), and that's when the first Jackson was made. They put Jackson on the headstock so that just in case the guitar's design takes a flop(or doesn't go very well in the market) they can drop the line whenever. But the guitar became popular and the design is now loved and cherished by Jackson fans and many companies have copied it(Music Yo Kramers, Epiphone, Fernandes, etc.). So now the Jackson AND the Charvel name is used.

Many think Jackson/Charvel is the same as Gibson/Epiphone when they are entirely wrong.

Eddie's Frankenstrat later recieved a Kramer neck and then I lost track. ;) :D

If a guitar is your main guitar, then of course it's going to get beat up. My Jem 7VWH is my main guitar as well and it's gotten a little beat up. Dings here and there, headstock is dinged up at the very tip, gold wearing on the bridge. But I'm ok with it because guitars aren't for show and to be looked at. They're here to be played, AND PLAYED HARD!!! Steve has many guitars so I'm sure finding a replacement wouldn't be a problem. ;)
Rich7620

webster defintion of sticker. one who insists on exactness or completeness in the observance of something
Slug Balancer

Sigh... I was in fact teasing your spelling.

A. There's no such thing as "stickiler" - look it up properly.
B. Your Websters definition of "sticker" is also wrong. Again, look it up properly.

I know you meant "stickler" - Jeez! :roll:
Moderator10th

If folks know what each other mean when they type something a little incorrect, please, let it slide guys :)

Otherwise it'll only be a matter of time before there's a huge bust up over something completely trivial that could lead to suspensions and bans. Something that none of us want to see happen
Andrew J Dampier

I recall seeing on the Guitar Galleries a while back on certain 7VWH pics, that some were being made 'in a desperate attempt to recreate EVO' (something like that).

I remember wondering the same thing about using lasers and everything to make an identical match of the neck. I'm sure both parties did everything fully possible to try to come up with something.

I know if I ever lost the neck on my 7V (and came EXTREMELY close to at point .....luckily, it was possible to re-attatch the headstock....plays great now..), I'd be extremely angry....that guitar now has 6 years of being broken in....and believe me...it's broken in.
Insert A Nickname

Guys!!! EVO's problem is not on the neck, it's on the body. It's got a "scratch" (sorry my english sucks!) that goes through the body of the guitar.

And even with the lasers and stuff, i think the guitar has a sentimental value for Steve, that no laser can reproduce. I mean, you can re-make the body, but you'll never be able to 'fill' it with the experiences of tours and of the life Steve has filled the guitar with. It sounds weird, but it's true, guitar players are in love of their guitars.

Peace 8)
Word

The huge *CRACK* in the body is certainly no scratch! hehe :D

What I want to know, is how not even Ibanez could fix it... :cry:
davester1234

too badly damaged.

I too doubt that a laser cloning would do the trick. Steve's ear is just too sensitive and discriminating.

I have a feeling we'll still be seeing a lot more of evo, however.
:mrgreen:
greg

Remember, no two instruments are the same, because no two pieces of wood are the same. This is more pronounced on acoustic instruments, but on an electric guitar, its still impossible to make two exactly the same as each other. I'd sort of think (am probably talking out of my a***, that with evo dying, steve would feel like moving on to something slightly new, he's had it for something like 10 years hasn't he?)

BTW stickler=pedant. (well sort of anyway)