Login with a social network:

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The crossroads guitar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:14 pm 

I was just wondering if any one knows the story behind the red guitar steve used for the movie crossroads.

rumour has it that guitar went on to become the coveted Green Meanie, but I don't know if thats true or not.

Any one know anything about the origin of this guitar, and whats become of it? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:58 am 

A normal Jackson Dinky, or Charvel from the 80s in a red finish with a maple board.

For some reason the headstock was either painted over, or has tape on it. I've heard millions and millions of rumours like these as to why that was done:

"Michael Jackson didn't want his last name to be a associated with the devil or anything satanic." Because Steve Vai was playing the Devil's guitar player. This is BS if you ask me. :lol: :wink:

How do I know it's a Jackson or Charvel? Well, of course the guys over at the Jackson/Charvel forum got into a big dispute over it, and finally someone came in and had a screenshot of the neckplate in one scene where Steve Vai lifts the guitar up.

No it did not go on to be come the Green Meanie. The Green Meanie was at one time a Charvel with a sunburst finish.

I don't know where that guitar is, but I do know where the guitar is that was in the backround of the scene. It's for sale somewhere on the internet. I think it's at www.jcguitars.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:46 am 

Word's correct. Green Meanine and the red "Crossroads" Jackson are two entirely different guitars. Last I heard (or did I see a pic of it somewhere?), that red Jackson was in a HardRock restaurant somewhere on the planet.

Better question- Where's that Carvin amp setup? If you watch the movie you'll see that, while Steve's busy intimidating the undies off Ralph Macchio and making Walter Hill's week, he gets awesome wah without ever touching a pedal.
Gotta love that. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:44 am 

I wanna know where the eventide was too, for the last note in Ralph's solo LOL!!!!!! that nice big harmony, wow, what a deal.

I always thought it was a Jackson just from the shape of body and headstock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:52 pm 

The Crossroads guitar was at the Houston Hardrock Cafe when the cafe was on Kirby Blvd. The Hardrock has moved downtown and I have not seen it up on the walls. They do have a Jem 10 on the wall.
Out,
GP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:58 pm 

pri0531 wrote:
The Crossroads guitar was at the Houston Hardrock Cafe when the cafe was on Kirby Blvd. The Hardrock has moved downtown and I have not seen it up on the walls. They do have a Jem 10 on the wall.
Out,
GP

How can you not put up such a guitar on your wall???? :?: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:44 am 
Newcomer

Word wrote:
"Michael Jackson didn't want his last name to be a associated with the devil or anything satanic." Because Steve Vai was playing the Devil's guitar player. This is BS if you ask me. :lol: :wink:

hehe that crazy ! some people just have too much time in their hands :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:29 am 

The tone Vai uses in that film is quite heavy. I find the accuracy he plays without hearing the over distorted plings and scrapes that you sometimes hear with a heavy sound is a true art.
Back to the question. I heard that the green meanie was stolen at a show. I have a book by hard rock cafe's that features most of their prized possessions in. They have one of the heart ibanez's in it but no 'crossroads' charvel. The plot thickens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:35 am 

I think the 'Jackson' logo is covered for the usual copyright BS reasons. How many marshall amp cabs have I seen wirth famous artists but the logo is covered by black tape.
Here is food for thought tho. Michael Jackson has had some good songs with some good guitarists. EVH, STEVENS, SLASH. What if he were to do one with our man VAI. Maybe Vai could be what MJ needs to save his sinkin career.
:idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:14 am 

harmonicminor wrote:
I heard that the green meanie was stolen at a show.

naahhh, Green Meanie is safely locked away.
For more info go here

ilia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:18 pm 

If Steve did something with MJ, I doubt very much if I would buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:59 pm 

dex wrote:
harmonicminor wrote:
I heard that the green meanie was stolen at a show.

naahhh, Green Meanie is safely locked away.
For more info go here

ilia

about a year ago or so on the last page in guitar world it showed the green meanie and said steve gave it away to the rock n roll hall of fame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:42 am 
Newcomer

I don't think Steve would ever give the green meanie away. They haven't invented a worthy place for it to go yet. Someday there will be the equivalent of the guitar's hall of fame or smithsonian, and they should get it, not a burger franchise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:52 am 

Actually come to think of it Green Meanie IS on display

vaijem777 wrote:
I stood 3 inches from the REAL Green Meanie this weekend........at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, OH. Yup. The REAL, original Green Meanie. Hand-chiseled-out trem cavity, skate stickers and all. Right there, 3 inches from my face, behind glass. But, guess what?

NO PICTURES ALLOWED!

Chris posted this on Jemsite only about 6 months ago.

ilia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:46 am 

Yup! The Green Meanie is safe & sound, locked away in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Ground Level, right in front of the Coat Check counter. :)

Gotta admit...it was more than a little disappointing that I couldn't take a photo of it. I did get to be within 6 inches of it though (damned Plexiglass case!).