Login with a social network:

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm 
Newcomer

Based on my experience, it is mostly noobs who buy the Jem Jr. They like Steve Vai and the Jem, but they don't have the funds to buy a real jem, or even a Prestige RG. Of course, Ibanez knows their target, which is why they created the line. They knew, they would sell. The goal was to create a guitar that looks as close to a Jem, emphasis on LOOKS, regardless of hardware, and put a higher price tag on it, but still reasonable, so the fans can afford one and Ibanez can still make a profit.

I will tell you why buying one is a bad decision. The Jem Jr is simply an RG450 in disguise. It has exactly the same specs and hardware, but it costs $100 more. You are paying $100 more for the inlay, monkey grip and the Lion's claw. Basically some stickers and a bunch of holes. Everything else is the same. Not worth it. Those $100 you wasted, could've been used towards a better amp, which contributes more to the tone.

First of all, the Lion's claw is pointless with the crappy tremolo system found in the Jr and RG450. I don't need to explain why.
Second, the monkey grip doesn't serve much of a real purpose, and is more a "bonus". Nice to have, but nothing you cannot live without. It has no impact on your tone.
Third, the inlay tree of life is pointless, you can install this yourself on your guitars for cheap.

The real white Jem is overpriced at $3000. Your next best thing is the Sea Foam Green Jem at $1500. No scalloped frets. No gold hardware. Different wood. Made in Indonesia. Everything else the same. Steve Vai himself, has said in a YouTube gear video, that the Sea Foam Green Jem sounds exactly the same as the regular white Jems to him.

If you don't have $1500, then, the next best thing is an RG655 Prestige at $1200.

Buy a decent tube amp with a good attenuator, and you are set for life.

Can't afford a Prestige? Buy an RG450 and a 5 watter amp. Practice your ass off. Save money. Buy a proper guitar and amp, then.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:29 pm 

1. $100 more from an RG for all those features- inlays etc- is worth it and more than fair.

2. if you want to complain- complain about the green one- because it's a $500 guitar for $1500.
No different than the Jr.

3. It's 'have a guitar that looks like vai' for $500
Epiphone has been living off that business model the last 30 years

4. No you can't install a 'tree of life inlay' for cheap on any guitar out there

5. As someone that has spent more on amps than most people have on new cars- $100 isn't going to get you very far.

Thanks for blessing us with your opinion

This forums dead
I blame kyle
kyle i hate you

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:27 am 
Newcomer

Jeries wrote:
1. $100 more from an RG for all those features- inlays etc- is worth it and more than fair.

2. if you want to complain- complain about the green one- because it's a $500 guitar for $1500.
No different than the Jr.

3. It's 'have a guitar that looks like vai' for $500
Epiphone has been living off that business model the last 30 years

4. No you can't install a 'tree of life inlay' for cheap on any guitar out there

5. As someone that has spent more on amps than most people have on new cars- $100 isn't going to get you very far.

Thanks for blessing us with your opinion

This forums dead
I blame kyle
kyle i hate you

The sea foam green is not different from the Jem Jr? :lol: Let's see:

The green has Wizard 5pc Maple/Walnut neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM rods
The Jr has Wizard III Maple neck

The green has an American Basswood body
The Jr has mahogany

The green has Jumbo with Premium edge treatment
The Jr has no treatment.

The green has the original edge tremolo, the same found in the white Jem.
The Jr has a crappy ass tremolo, same found in the RG450.

The green has Dimarzio Evolution pickups, the same found in the white Jem
The Jr has a some crappy ass Quantum pickups, same found in the RG450

The green has chrome hardware and comes with a case
The Jr has a black hardware and no case

Yeah, you are right, they are absolutely the same :lol: :lol:

Can you upgrade the Jr? Sure, you can. I wonder if this guitar deserve this investment ? or get a new RG prestige for $1.200.- with good trem, good pickups, good neck and good case??? Makes no sense put expensive bridge on cheap laminated body, cheap paint and finish, cheap tuners machine, cheap neck, cheap frets, cheap pickups, cheap electronics. cheap everything.

I never said "$100 is going to get you far" or get you a nice amp for that matter. I said, that if you were financially smart, you would get an RG450, which has the same components as the Jem Jr, and invest those extra $100 you saved TOWARDS a better amp.

The simple fact that you are buying a Jem Jr proves that you don't have much funds, so why waste $100 more on looks, when the RG450 will perform exactly the same?

The tree of life, monkey grip, etc are nice things to have and look at, but they won't make you a better player or give you a better tone. Since, all you can afford is a $500 guitar, you have to PRIORITIZE, and make your money work for you. Squeeze every single dollar out of that budget to get the best tone possible for the least amount of money.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:49 pm 

it's all the same shit if it's made in Indonesia