Fire Strings Jem

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
ocxcxd

Fire Strings Jem

#1 Post by ocxcxd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:27 am

Hello people,

I have spotted a Jem that Steve used on Fire Strings project back in 2002. It might be interesting for some of you folks here. I have opened a new thread, because all the others about this guitar are locked and have plenty of dead links from the old phpBB forum (which is no longer accessible for years). Also, I did this for the purpose of better clarity. So if you want to learn anything about Fire Strings guitar, there ya have it!

Jeroen please don't kill me! :roll:

So here it is! While watching this "Making of JEM" video, I was completely surprised. When Mace tilted towards the 30th Anniversary Jems, he revealed this very interesting guitar at the back. I thought the guitar was "buried" long ago... :!:

I also thought it would be a good idea to collect some info:
Mikey wrote: Here's a bit of info on the guitar from Steve himself:
Ahh,
This was a prototype guitar I was working on with Ibanez. The idea was to create the Ultra Guitar with many features that you would never see on a guitar.
It has a built in tuner, headphone system, and complete FX built into it. Actually it has a Pandora's box built into it! A sustainer; built in wireless system; all sorts of phase switches and a ton of other stuff I can't remember. Two years of work went into this guitar and the plan was to make it a commercial item but the cost would have been very expensive, and as a result we scrapped it. I don't even know where this guitar is right now but it's around here somewhere it's it is Ultra Cooool.

s.
I'll dig it up, and when I do, I'll take a bunch of photos and put them on Vai.com for your viewing pleasure.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Happy Digging, VaiFans!

J

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fire Strings Jem

#2 Post by Jeroen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 am

Now why would I kill you?

I might actually able to fix those links, since the only thing in the URL that changed was /phpbb2 to /forum.

Anyway, nice catch. Not quite sure if that actually is that specific guitar, but let me check with Thomas.

J

ocxcxd

#3 Post by ocxcxd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Hey Jeroen, it's just a joke. Nothing serious :wink: I really appreciate your fast response!

When you're looking for something or just digging around and you find all the information neatly organized... how good can that be! I hope we can do that for every piece of Steve's gear in this forum section.

Thanks.

J

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 pm

I think all old phpBB2 links now should direct to the correct forum links... try it out :)

And how dare you joking with me. I should kill you..... :lol:
J

ocxcxd

#5 Post by ocxcxd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Hahaha, Jeroen you're the best! :) We should collaborate :wink:

Regards.

J

Carakas09
Newcomer

#6 Post by Carakas09 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 am

ocxcxd wrote:Hello people,

I have spotted a Jem that Steve used on Fire Strings project back in 2002. It might be interesting for some of you folks here. I have opened a new thread, because all the others about this guitar are locked and have plenty of dead links from the old phpBB forum (which is no longer accessible for years). Also, I did this for the purpose of better clarity. So if you want to learn anything about Fire Strings guitar, there ya have it!

Jeroen please don't kill me! :roll:

So here it is! While watching this "Making of JEM" video, I was completely surprised. When Mace tilted towards the 30th Anniversary Jems, he revealed this very interesting guitar at the back. I thought the guitar was "buried" long ago... :!:

I also thought it would be a good idea to collect some info:
Mikey wrote: Here's a bit of info on the guitar from Steve himself:
Ahh,
This was a prototype guitar I was working on with Ibanez. The idea was to create the Ultra Guitar with many features that you would never see on a guitar.
It has a built in tuner, headphone system, and complete FX built into it. Actually it has a Pandora's box built into it! A sustainer; built in wireless system;Rachat prêt all sorts of phase switches and a ton of other stuff I can't remember. Two years of work went into this guitar and the plan was to make it a commercial item but the cost would have been very expensive, and as a result we scrapped it. I don't even know where this guitar is right now but it's around here somewhere it's it is Ultra Cooool.

s.
I'll dig it up, and when I do, I'll take a bunch of photos and put them on Vai.com for your viewing pleasure.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Happy Digging, VaiFans!

J
Cool , c'est toujours bon à savoir