Problems with EVO on this tour?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
matic22

Problems with EVO on this tour?

#1 Post by matic22 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:52 am

I've watched quite a few videos from this tour and I noticed that Steve is often switching Evo for Xavia (which is now a general backup guitar) in the middle of the song. Also it's evident that Flo III is now the main guitar (used on more songs). There was also the picture of Evo being shipped to Ibanez.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with EVO on this tour?

#2 Post by Jeroen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:30 am

The only thing I know is that Steve requested a new neck, this time without volute.
The True Temperament neck is going to be rebuild and there was a pretty much standard factory neck mounted on EVO, which Steve liked except for the volute.
I'm not aware of any other issues.
Steve uses a backup if a guitar goes out of tune or a string breaks. Haven't seen it happen a lot though.

matic22

#3 Post by matic22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HmdenswGM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I got answer to my question from Greg's Vai Rig Rundown video. It seems that Evo's crack is getting bigger again.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm

So it seems. I'm going to see if I can get some details on this.

matic22

#5 Post by matic22 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:36 am

Another question for you Jeroen. Is the original Flo also suffering from cracks an is it one of the reasons why it was retired? Also next year is anniversary of Steve's 3 main guitars. Flo turns 30, Evo 25 and Flo III 10 years old. Could we get a special feature about those 3 next year?

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by Jeroen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:35 am

I sure would love to do a feature on Flo III, I just need to get my hands on the guitar for a while to document it correctly. Was planning on doing so during the last tour, but it didn't fit the timetable. There are a few more guitars I want to document in similar fashion.

We do have features on Evo and Flo, and besides a few small mods on Evo, there is not much new to tell on either.

I think at this point Steve just simply prefers Flo III over Flo, with a slightly scalloped neck.
There is plenty wear on Flo, but it's not broken.

matic22

#7 Post by matic22 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi again.

In the Youtube comments of the rig walkthrough, Greg commented that FLO has a huge crack and is in bad shape.

@Jeroen Is that true, or did Greg simply mistake FLO for EVO?

P.S. Will you be able do a feature on FLO III in the forseeable future?

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Jeroen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Flo has a crack as well, but not so bad as Evo. At this point Steve just prefers Flo III with its slightly scalloped board.
I'd love to do a feature on Flo III, but I don't have a schedule for that one. We're currently working on some other cool stuff first.

Cheers,
J