"Thomas"

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Samuele

In one word: Wow...

Only Thomas could have built such an instrument. The name is a good choice.
And it's good to finally see it finished - and properly photographed. :)

Thank you J!!
Bryceybhoy

Absolutely not got a clue what any of that shit does, but looks awesome anyway.

Nice to get an update of what's going on too. :guitar
kyle am I

Very very cool.

He talked about this guitar a lot. I think he said it was in 2000 when steve commissioned a state of the art JEM after he was impressed by the signature strat guitar Thomas has (that VAI used on little alligator, with some high tech features if I recall correctly)

Also cool to see FLO and FLOIII with my yellow tape on them.

Can't wait to see the DVD whenever it will be released... ;)
EyE

Looks awesome! Would love to hear what it sounds like and what more sounds it can produce.
guitars911

That is too insane.. wow!

I've got a 7V that would be a doner for the auto tune hardware. Already has the 401 sustainer in black installed.

Is the auto tune gear really what it seems to be? Looks amazing after a few minutes of research.

What would this $400 kit add or deduct to the value of my 7V though? I guess when you go custom its all in the eye of the one building it. I've got a new luthier friend too that may love the challenge. He's currently building a twin neck guitar, squire bass and 6-string electric combined. He will use it as a tool for teaching music so its easier to swich between both during lessons.

Check out his work on facebook at ( backstage guitar lab ). I'm not on facebook so cant tell you how to get there otherwise. He's built a bunch of killer custom guitars from scrap parts he has had though.

Back to the auto tune unit, does any one here have any real experiance with this and if so please share your opinions...

Would I be killing my older 7V by installing this?
kyle am I

guitars911 wrote:That is too insane.. wow!

I've got a 7V that would be a doner for the auto tune hardware. Already has the 401 sustainer in black installed.

Is the auto tune gear really what it seems to be? Looks amazing after a few minutes of research.

What would this $400 kit add or deduct to the value of my 7V though? I guess when you go custom its all in the eye of the one building it. I've got a new luthier friend too that may love the challenge. He's currently building a twin neck guitar, squire bass and 6-string electric combined. He will use it as a tool for teaching music so its easier to swich between both during lessons.

Check out his work on facebook at ( backstage guitar lab ). I'm not on facebook so cant tell you how to get there otherwise. He's built a bunch of killer custom guitars from scrap parts he has had though.

Back to the auto tune unit, does any one here have any real experiance with this and if so please share your opinions...

Would I be killing my older 7V by installing this?
First off- I've been searching everywhere for the kit- how did you find one with a price since Antares only sells to authorized luthiers

Second- yes it does everything. http://youtu.be/PPnIIbj-9eE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just inquiring about one last night.

Killing your 7v? Hell no.
guitars911

Well I didn't actually see a site selling them when I Googled it the other night. I just watched a video and read some stuff from a random web site.

After much more research today, I can't even seem to find that site again today. Maybe the Peavy AT200 guitar that has it pre-installed for $400 in what I read.. dunno now.

I also found the luthier only catch that you mentioned on the antares web site. The become an installer application doesn't look to be to hard to complete. I guess they just want to do their own research to see if a luthier is really in fact a true skilled guitar tech / artist. Doesn't look like that costs anything either.

I did just find this from a random 2014 Namm thread about pricing. I guess we can take it as a ballpark range since there are no other sites listing the cost of luthier kits alone?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many ... -kits.html
guitars911

My luthier friend applied to be an authorized dealer for the auto tune gear. No word back yet.

Just thinking from the company side, they may also ask for some form of a non-disclouser agreement to be signed. May limit items such as cost, tech, etc. To not be discussed with anyone. Hope not though.

I have a question though as this tech was released to approved luthiers in 2012 yet there are not any web sites, forums, etc., where anyone has posted talking about installing this in any other guitar than the Peavy? (Thomas seems to be the exception) Seems like something is a miss in that reguard. Even if this installer kit does cost $700 (top end kit) thats peanuts to all the guitar players out in the world that can afford this and have a great players guitar as a donor. Any one think the same?

I'm in for one if it shakes out for me locally, just find it strange with all the time thats past more talk isn't out there about having it installed in more guitar models.
loran333

Hello :)

I 've tried the peavey at 200 from a friend who buy it.

I was very impressed with the concept and the video of Thomas.
And as I"m looking all the demo's videos my interest goes stronger. But a question appears in my head. Why all (or some one) famous (and rich) guitar player don't used it.

So this is my "review" ;-) Forgive my syntaxe, my orthographe and my grammar, I don't speak english very well... But I don't find a review with the pros and cons on the web , only the miracles of the machine, so I want to share my trying of the autotune.

Just like the backstop this is an hard to discribe device. You have to try it to really feel the device.
I tried it with my tuner on.
For the chords and riff it's really cool. All notes are perfectly in tune (+\- 2 cents)
The "problems" is for the bends and all kind of playing where you have to distord the notes.
The bends are automatically bring to the right pitch, even if it's smoothly you loose some control.
Some shapes of chords works good with the autotune but some others not.
Example ;a D chords (a, d , f# on the 3 high strings) past 12th fret, need some "twist" and micro bends to sound pleasant with distortion. Because the nature of the tempered scale.

So this is a great unit but I definitively feel a loosing amount of my control on the guitar.
The best image I have is a car with a manual transmission vs a automatic transmission ;-)

The alternate tunings are very great , a good tool and half a second to change when you used to.

So this is MY expérience with the autotune.

Keep in mind that you can turn it off when you want and back to a normal guitare ;-) So you don't care about my "review" ;-)

When the systeme is on the real pickup are bypassed. This is the piezo that take the sound of the strings. I'm an Evo user and the modelisation pickup is good but not like a real Evo.

Hope it helps :-)
bobz1b

Hi

does anybody know if the Thomas ultra Jem will go into production? Its one cool guitar I want one

Regards

Bob
Jeries

It's cool and all- but it's not like any of us are ever going to play it or see it in person
Jeries

Jeries wrote:It's cool and all- but it's not like any of us are ever going to play it or see it in person
Wait, nevermind

Jeries

Jeries wrote:It's cool and all- but it's not like any of us are ever going to play it or see it in person
Wait, nevermind

guitars911

Thomas doesn't seem to happy with you holding that guitar.. :P

Did you get to play it? What were your thoughts if so?