VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rig Update
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 am 

Looks like Vai is using the Carvin Legacy 3's for his preamp tone... running that through the Axe Fx

Legacy 1's are on stage but off...

You can tell he's using it too because the lights/colors change when he switches channels

Post subject: Re: Rig Update
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 am 

next night in tucson Vai was using Legacy 1's

sounded 100000000000000000000000x better

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 am 

i noticed in some pics posted the l3`s were off and the l1`s back on!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:37 am 

Well, its tough to compare one night to the next. Our memory is just not that accurate after that much time and there are a ton of other variables in play as well.

That said, its getting a little embarrassing. How many amps are going to get released that he won't use? I get that it takes time to integrate gear in larger setups etc but these amps have been out for quite sometime. The AXE units managed to appear in record time... I can't believe Carvin is too happy about it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:50 am 

i don't necessarily think that Steve wants to keep changing his setup when it comes to amps. He's used the legacy one for like almost 15 years now, as long as I've been alive, and he seems quite happy with it. After using the L1 for so long and continuously loving it and having no problems I too would be reluctant to change. I think Vai is comfortable with the l1, so why change it? Carvin is prompted as a company because as lenient and fair and artist pleasing as they may be- they're still a company and have to try to evolve things. If Vai likes the original better that's quite alright I'm sure with carvin, as long as he brings the legacy 3 along and says good things about it (which has the same circuitry of the legacy one) I'm sure carvin is fine with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 am 

kyle am I wrote:
i don't necessarily think that Steve wants to keep changing his setup when it comes to amps. He's used the legacy one for like almost 15 years now, as long as I've been alive, and he seems quite happy with it. After using the L1 for so long and continuously loving it and having no problems I too would be reluctant to change. I think Vai is comfortable with the l1, so why change it? Carvin is prompted as a company because as lenient and fair and artist pleasing as they may be- they're still a company and have to try to evolve things. If Vai likes the original better that's quite alright I'm sure with carvin, as long as he brings the legacy 3 along and says good things about it (which has the same circuitry of the legacy one) I'm sure carvin is fine with it.

The thing is the "good things" he is saying about it don't ring entirely true. If its really the "evolution" of the amp as he has claimed why WOULDN'T he be using it? IF he prefers the L1 why would there be a need to "evolve" it other than a cash grab?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 am 

It's not him...
it's Carvin- they're a business and want to sell more amps and make more money...

All the companies evolve/put more products our/change things up- try to make more money- sell more gear.

He never used the Legacy II- he designed it with Carvin but kept using what he was using... gave them ideas/direction- but Carvin wants $$$.

And i'm not demonizing carvin that's what they're in business for-

trust me there are AWFUL examples of companies that use people and exploit far worse than others....d....e.....a..........n.

And Vai uses what he uses- Look at MegaDave and Richie Sambora- they'll use anything you pay them to use. and have 10 signature models across 6 guitar brands over years.

Legacy 1 sales were probably down because they've made them a long time- and the used market is high so they're not selling new stuff- switch it up- more sales.

EVH/Fender did it with the 5150 III- made a combo. made a mini- all great stuff too

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 am 

Jeries wrote:
It's not him...
it's Carvin- they're a business and want to sell more amps and make more money...

All the companies evolve/put more products our/change things up- try to make more money- sell more gear.

He never used the Legacy II- he designed it with Carvin but kept using what he was using... gave them ideas/direction- but Carvin wants $$$.

trust me there are AWFUL examples of companies that use people and exploit far worse than others....d....e.....a..........n.

And Vai uses what he uses- Look at MegaDave and Richie Sambora- they'll use anything you pay them to use. and have 10 signature models across 6 guitar brands over years.

Legacy 1 sales were probably down because they've made them a long time- and the used market is high so they're not selling new stuff- switch it up- more sales.

EVH/Fender did it with the 5150 III- made a combo. made a mini- all great stuff too

We can agree to disagree here I guess. If Vai is getting compensated then he cannot be excused. He is part of the deal and agreed to it.

In regards to the EVH stuff, yes he did release those items but they were not intended to replace the flagship product and he has not ever to my knowledge claimed them to be the next evolution of anything. They are just expanding the platform of the core offering.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:32 am 

TheArchitect wrote:
Jeries wrote:
It's not him...

We can agree to disagree here I guess. If Vai is getting compensated then he cannot be excused. He is part of the deal and agreed to it.

In regards to the EVH stuff, yes he did release those items but they were not intended to replace the flagship product and he has not ever to my knowledge claimed them to be the next evolution of anything. They are just expanding the platform of the core offering.

Eddie also claims the latest version of whatever he is pitching is an evolution in design that the product has been in development for decades.

See 1:30ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU7WHAAPi6A

He has said the same thing about the 5150 amp in videos too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 am 

what do you mean excused? He's not breaching some agreement that says he must use the legacy 3 as his main amp for the indefinite future. If Vai does not want to use it, he dosent have to. Vais tastes may be more suited to the l1 which he dosent have a problem with, that won't stop people from buying a L3, it's not hurting carvin. He's not denouncing it like he did with the legacy 2, which he said he didn't like years after the l2 came out. AT LEAST Vai isn't just a figurehead, he'll actually SAY if he didn't like something. . Vai hasn't used the bad horsie wah as his main wah since before 2005 (except for the Orchestra project) if you don't believe me watch the km pee do wee video from 05', on tour he uses he Dunlop. I'm pretty sure Vai uses the lava cable, not his signature dimarzio. Steve dosent and dosent have to use everything, he's experimenting and evoluting things, and he HAS used he l3 for at least parts of the tour as per what others have said. What disagreement is there? That Vai endorses something and HAS to use it at least, say, half the time? Except for his guitars, everything on his board has changed except the digit each whammy pedal, which has gone through many different product models. What's, amps, cables, distortion a, effects, volume pedals- all that changes except for the main bodies of his guitars.
TheArchitect wrote:
Jeries wrote:
It's not him...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am 

The fanbois have arrived... I guess the actual discussion is over. See ya' at the next one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:roll:

Quote:
If Vai is getting compensated then he cannot be excused. He is part of the deal and agreed to it.

Yeah, that's not the way endorsements work, really.

J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 pm 

mr architect, dear sir, I simply did not understand what you disagreed with. My response is a long one- THATS HOW I GET A WELL THOUGHT OUT IDEA TO ADD TO A D-I-S-C-U-S-S-I-O-N. I generally give long responses. If you were trying to have a discussion, you would have answered what I had asked. Also, my writing style is sometimes interpreted wrong- I write sometimes in a way that appears hostile to who I'm talking to. That must have been the case here.

What didn't make sense to me is you never said what you disagreed with- you said that the good things Vai says are not necessarily true about the L3- what does that mean? That he's lying? And then you said that if the L3 WAS the evolution of the amp, then Vai would be using it. And I said he's been using the amp he loves for 15 years- things have to evolve for Carvins sake but he's comfortable with the original L1 and he dosent NEED to replace the L1 with the L3. Jeries said that carvin is a company- pretty sure that checks out- and that they need to make money. Makes sense. L1 was old, people buy it used for $400 on ebay and craigslist, so carvin needed something new to bring in some more revenue. So Vai didn't necessarily pitch an idea for a new amp- I'm sure there was prompting from carvin and plus it's exciting to do something new- Steve wouldn't exactly just say no. And maybe Steve wanted a new amp. For all you or I know Steve could have asked them himself. He's very much an artist to listens to his fans and tries to deliver what his fans want. Maybe it was more for Carvin, and for his fans who WANT an evolution, and maybe some for himself. And you said "let's agree to disagree". Sorry if I have no idea what that means, because you never said what you disagreed with.

And yeah, I know about vais rigs past and present. His tones change, and the history of his tone and what changes it is interesting. Sue me. So go ahead- let's have a discussion.
TheArchitect wrote:
The fanbois have arrived... I guess the actual discussion is over. See ya' at the next one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
[color=#FF0000]I'm pretty sure Vai uses the lava cable, not his signature dimarzio.

The cables he uses are not his 'signature' cables- but almost all of them are custom made DiMarzio cables... different colors/shapes/sizes that they make for him from scratch.

I'd also say in general I have some room to talk in all this because...

I am an endorsed artist from many of the brands mentioned above...

DiMarzio, Morley Pedals, TC Electronic, Fernandes Guitars, Fractal Audio Systems...So I know how things work. (although I'd use all of the stuff even if Vai didn't use them- I still only use the Bad Horsie- not because of Vai but because it is the closest pedal to an EMB Audio remote wah)

I've also passed on several endorsements and no longer use many companies I've once endorsed/got stuff from... For example N-Tune guitar tuners that are built into the vol pot- i know longer use/endorse.

D'Addario for example hit me at artist pricing before tax and extremely expensive fedex shipping- more than what musiciansfriend sells 10 packs for on electrics.

I'd use carvin guitars- they're very underrated and the best set up instruments out of a factory- I like their amps but all the free carvins in the world wouldn't make me get rid of a boogie.

I also have many other endorsement deals, InTuneGP for guitar picks and a few others... I also have relationships with people at many other companies that I wouldn't call and endorsement but they take care of me...even guitar center

...so I know how things work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 am 

Endorsement deals vary wildly. Some get discounted gear, some get free gear, some get free gear and travel expenses for doing clinics, some get portions of items sold, etc.

I'm sure guys like Jeries, who is apparently endorsed by TC Electronic, have a completely different arrangement than say a Petrucci who may have a completely different deal than Morse.

I've had endorsement deals from small town shops and beer companies over the years and no two agreements are the same. To say anyone knows what anyone's deal is may be a bit of a stretch unless you seen the signed papers.