VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steve and US
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:47 am 
Newcomer

I have been looking thru these pages of vai fans and i have gone to hell .. You all want to play and sound like steve and this pick up or that pick up in what guitar and pedals and racks and what guitars and why... I have met him several times in my life and he is the nicest guy you will meet but he is a master for a reason. yes tears of learning his notes and scales and phrases and sounds butt he will not tell you all of his tricks .at this rate you better be born with a silver spoon in your mouth you want his tricks under your sound. Yes he has a Legacy but what about the bogner he uses also and all the effects , he is not like the 80's where everyone was over processed he is gifted with his ears training..Unless you have the right wood in your guitar these pickups mean nothing to anyone. Ok get the G system or the axe fx 2 or a legacy amp or better yet save your money and have a jem HOTRODDED FOR YOU YOU WONT GET IT..
i SAW THE PICTURE SOME OF YOU CALLED A FAKE!!!!!! yes the is a JEM hardtail but the hardtail is more than a lo flo trem but you all think a trem is the only way to play, this is why I am having my own Jem built my way NO TREM just the evertune bridge and since its basswood body I will go with either my favorites PAF Pro or I have a full set of Evo's ready with a Evo 2 bridge ... i have enjoyed listening and watching for years but i liked his sound in alcatraz and with Roth... I have seen another great guitar player play back up for him for years and then release one of the greatest albums of 2011.. People learn from Steve and admire what he has done to music, I cant play like him but i have taken what i have learned and gone my own way even down to the way I like my JEM. I teach children all the time and tell them the notes are how you play not by your mom and dad's checkbook or credit cards. I have gone to my kids schools and played and talked about the music and NOT the machines. I told those kids that when they learn the notes and the modes and keys then anything any guitar will be a million dollars to them if they want more after they have made the cheap guitar sing then they know they earned the next one and i doubt it wil be a bunch of rich people with JEMs it might be a knock of that sounds good .. I will tell most of you this and i hope even steve himself sees this But I have a Frankenstein guitar that was a Ibanez body we fit with a Fernandes blues neck have some PAF Pro 's in it and I will put its sound against any of you rich kids JEMs.

I joined to learn some stuff that maybe steve or his tech put up as a lesson or something new about a guitar trick a wirirng diagram but i see everyone on here seems to know more than the next guy..I know this much the upgrades to EVO and FLO I think you people better go get a bank loan if want the NEW JEM sound Steve's JEM "Flo II" for the upcoming tour. Apart from the standard JEM features (the Sustainer and Vai's pickup configuration) it will incorporate a Line 6 wireless, a Roland GK with 13 -pin output, Thidell Formula True Temperament frets, a Wilkinson roller nut, Steinberger gearless tuners, a killswitch, an onboard tuner driving the LED's by Martin Sims in the neck ( the lights moving one way for sharp, the other for flat, still for pitch), a Don Ramsay Linear tremolo and sunken Dunlop Straplocks.

SOMEBODY BETTER ASK FOR MORE MONEY FROM MOMMMY AND DADDY OR GET 2 MORE JOBS AND FIND ONE HELL OF A GUITAR TECH LIKE MINE HERE IN Virginia that i have had for 20 years you will never get all this put in and working for 10 years or have a JEM to do it to. The neck is about $500 alone the sustainer is $400 if he uses the 401 but my thing is the 401 has 3 inline knobs on a plate already made up and why do this to a HSH body when Ibanez will make him anything he wants and just ordered a HSS body but again only Steve and his Guitar builder/Tech know the truth of WHY...

Just a side note anyone that thought EVO copy was up there in price better hope Ibanez doesnt add these necks to the premium or JEM series for the public if so again get you bank on the phone and look for a medium loan for at least 6-$8000.00 guitar with it all listed above and then you have to buy the rack and the G-system to push it all that almost as much as one of my houses...

Save the music .....Make a noise ................But you don't have to spend all this money to do it.. If you have all the money to keep up with Steve then donate to me your JUNK so I can save some schools around here maybe i can build some more cheap guitars for kids who dont care about what Steve has and just want to learn or be able to have a guitar. And I am dead serious about this last part because this is more important to me than reading who knows more than the next guy, I have been trying to help kids in my community alone for a few years now and if we get donatons of equiptment then it goes to a future shredder with the understanding that this is serious and if one kid is not serious or can truly afford one from mom and dad we go to who that can not afford it and they dont care what it is.. good day or good night ..

contact about donations for kids to donadams70@gmail.com

enjoy Steve ,learn from Steve but we will never be Steve so i just practice soloing of my own over naked tracks and he told me that was why he released it was for us to learn from not to be him..

Post subject: Re: Steve and US
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:48 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 am 

i think he may have actually beaten me in the longest responses on the message board.i uh... Didn't understand this very we'll at all. We'll you bought a Jem with a trem- most jems DO have them, and the Jem is the Steve Vai Signature model a or one time you felt the need to "copy".

I DO copy Steve- gear wise. That's how most musicians start out- if you told me you just picked up a guitar and never bought a pedl based on anyone else's tone than that's a lie- if I hadn't heard of and researched some more famous band when I was younger I wouldn't even KNOW what a pedal is.

I want a Jem, yes, and I want one with a trem- here's WHY. The most standard thing in the Jem is the floating bridge- it's the only thing that hasn't changed- frets, monkey grip shapes, pickups, neck heels, neck profiles, colors, and materials have changed but the ibanez Edge lines of tremolos have been stock in every Jem commercially except the hard tail jem- that never made it out of the crib. You don't buy a Jem JUST to take the bridg put- most people buy a Jem for the addition of the floating trem.

I have wanted a trem before I even knew vai existed. I saw an ibanez gio one day when I was around nine years old and fell in love with the whammy bar- I actually went to the ibanez site during the designer a Jem contest and I thought the Jem was hideous because it wasn't a les Paul. While all you guys were designing jems, I thought vai was just an unknown wannabe player because I thought ibanez was a small wannabe cheap knockoff company. I was nine, that's acceptable. But see- I don't use the bar because of vai, I used it because I liked it. Next-

The Jem is the best guitar in the world. The end. For me, it fits what I want to do perfectly and it's beautiful.

I don't have $1000000000000 like other people to experiment with high end amps- you know what I play through? A peavey solid state 50 watt. It's a Piece of shit. But I like vais tone, more than other guitar players of his time, and legacies are dirt cheap so for my first amp that's what I'm getting- I don't have $5000 to buy and mod out a bongner. Sorry. And I've always liked all of vais tones, I just like his legacy tone the beat.
Jeroen wrote:
Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 pm 

At a pawn shop today I said
"I'll buy anything that says Steve Vai on it" and that's pretty much true...

Same with Metallica, and a few others.

I like Vai,

I don't want to be Vai

I want to be me.

I hope ME can be successful- but I work hard.

I use an Axe Fx II-
I haven't mic'd up an amp in 2-3 yrs (Ultra then II)
Do I use it because Vai does? NO
BUT- in order to spend $2200 on something you've never played or seen in person- it has to be good knowing big guys replace tons of gear just for one unit

I used a G-System, because on paper it seamed like the perfect rig- in real life i didn't like it

I LOVE the Morley Bad Horsie wah pedal... I've endorsed them for years- it's the best wah out there- best tone and cleanest, doesn't kill tone and always sounds like the first day you got it. I use mine more than Vai uses his.

I'd never use another wah- to me I'm always looking for that Early Slash Vai Hammett EMB wah- and the closest i've found to the real thing- is the Bad Horsie.... EMB is putting out some new cool stuff- great guys there.

Vai uses a Jemini- i own one right now- bought it to sell

I currently own a mint legacy half stack- bought it for $400 to sell- i don't like it- its not my thing.

I use Mesa Boogie Road King- the road king head alone costs more than 2 legacy half stacks
I love Mesa boogie...

I like Vai's playing but when I hear the tone in my head that's what i want to play and hear- its Metallica... best recorded guitar tones ever

There was one guy on the forum Luke? idk- he was a douche
Wanna get annoyed- look for his old posts of bragging stupidity...

3-4 yrs ago I didn't have the kind of gear I had today

OH i had a $7000 20th anniversary JEM- sold it 45min after I bought it
$$$

I don't know the point of your post- and i really don't know the point of my post either

OH i also use exclusively Dimarzio pickups/straps/cables because they're the absolute fucking best- emgs suck/duncans suck/bareknuckles suck- dimarzio is the best... the cables are great (i'm very lucky to have tons of cables i can't afford)
and the straps are the best- they're guitar seatbelts
i bought my first used for $5 at 'noteworks music' and it's been my fav straps since- i have them on ALL my guitars- i haven't dropped a guitar since...they're comfortable - they're stable - i think i got them before i even knew who Vai was or that he used them.

Everyone rips of everyone else-
I rip off Vai- and bring it to an audience of people who haven't seen the same tricks.

I played in bands alternative rock pop rock etc

I've played baseball stadiums-

I do stupid sustainer tricks or Vai stuff- and i'm playing it in front of people who aren't familiar with his music or techniques- and it works for me

but i rip off as much from him as tons of other guitarists... that's what it's about becomeing a 'greatest hits' of guitar...

My parents bought me a $99 Rok-Axe guitar- other than that everything i've paid for myself

Oh and about your last paragraph- i may have a jem now and an axe fx-
but you DO NOT KNOW what i have done for kids, or the community when it comes to guitars...

and you'll never know- because i don't really tell people or brag about it...

i also help dogs too but i never really tell anyone about that either

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 am 

what some people forget is, successful artists probably spend nothing if maybe production/material prices for the gear they're endorsing.. so what you guys will spend say $2000-3000 on retail, the artist is probably getting for free. And the pedals/strings/amps etc they're using (if it's not signature series collaborated) is usually trial/error based spending hours going through tons of different brands (that are pretty much thrown at them in the hope that they will endorse their gear) and modes until they find that piece of gear which 'connects' so to speak with the guitar and other components that they use... it's practically a jigsaw puzzle for them to find what works well with what. so when someone upgrades their gear to something else... it doesn't mean it's the bomb, it just means that for their current scenario be it tour/new record/performing etc.. it works for them.

There's no such thing as the perfect rig, what works for one player wont for another unless you dedicate your whole guitar playing route to emulating someone else's sound.

So if you wish to buy gear based on what your favourite guitarist is using at the time.. you better be prepared to spend $$$$ because that road has no stop sign :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am 

for the record if you guys might think other wise- I have no intention of copying vais rig- I just like the legacy tone, and I want to try it for myself. Legacies are dirt cheap- you can set out and find heads for $450-600, sometimes with cabs in Jeries' case.
Jems on the other hand are obnoxiously expensive stock- I'd probably get a used Jem- good used ones I see can be anywhere from $700-1800, not as bad as the stock $3000 so you can win out by buying a used one. I'm not looking to buy an axefx, find vais patches and use them, I just like vais tone- I like it more than other guitar players tones with their $4000 Marshall's, I want to try the vai amp, I'll always use the Jem and rg guitars- there's no going back to a les Paul or stray after... I'd say I've already playing wise have a few different interests than Steve, and playing is really what matters- but it's hard to do what you want to make into your style with a guitar that won't stay in tune, or an amp that sounds like it only has a volume and treble knob ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:22 pm 

Considering I have everything in Vai's old rig- i got it essentially hella cheap

(i'm selling the gsystem because its awful with my axefxii, and selling the legacy- i only bought it to sell/make money on)

Legacy head/cab= 400
jem7vwhite- 900
gsystem- traded a guitar i paid 120 for

so a million dollar rig for 1400 ain't bad

new that shits 6000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 pm 

Ok.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am 
Newcomer

Gear is important but to put it like Steve did about Jimi Hendrix: It is impossible to mimic because the sound was in his hands.
That said, I think that learning by listening to the best will allow you to find new ways to express your own ideas. For me it is all about being able to get the music out of my head and into my fingers. I collect sounds I love from every artist that moves my soul. What Steve Vai does for me is always leaving me with a positive mood and showing new ways of using the instument. I have been listening a lot to blues music of old and they had home made instruments but they made them sing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:28 am 
Newcomer

speed70 wrote:
I have been looking thru these pages of vai fans and i have gone to hell .. You all want to play and sound like steve and this pick up or that pick up in what guitar and pedals and racks and what guitars and why... I have met him several times in my life and he is the nicest guy you will meet but he is a master for a reason. yes tears of learning his notes and scales and phrases and sounds butt he will not tell you all of his tricks .at this rate you better be born with a silver spoon in your mouth you want his tricks under your sound. Yes he has a Legacy but what about the bogner he uses also and all the effects , he is not like the 80's where everyone was over processed he is gifted with his ears training..Unless you have the right wood in your guitar these pickups mean nothing to anyone. Ok get the G system or the axe fx 2 or a legacy amp or better yet save your money and have a jem HOTRODDED FOR YOU YOU WONT GET IT..
i SAW THE PICTURE SOME OF YOU CALLED A FAKE!!!!!! yes the is a JEM hardtail but the hardtail is more than a lo flo trem but you all think a trem is the only way to play, this is why I am having my own Jem built my way NO TREM just the evertune bridge and since its basswood body I will go with either my favorites PAF Pro or I have a full set of Evo's ready with a Evo 2 bridge ... i have enjoyed listening and watching for years but i liked his sound in alcatraz and with Roth... I have seen another great guitar player play back up for him for years and then release one of the greatest albums of 2011.. People learn from Steve and admire what he has done to music, I cant play like him but i have taken what i have learned and gone my own way even down to the way I like my JEM. I teach children all the time and tell them the notes are how you play not by your mom and dad's checkbook or credit cards. I have gone to my kids schools and played and talked about the music and NOT the machines. I told those kids that when they learn the notes and the modes and keys then anything any guitar will be a million dollars to them if they want more after they have made the cheap guitar sing then they know they earned the next one and i doubt it wil be a bunch of rich people with JEMs it might be a knock of that sounds good .. I will tell most of you this and i hope even steve himself sees this But I have a Frankenstein guitar that was a Ibanez body we fit with a Fernandes blues neck have some PAF Pro 's in it and I will put its sound against any of you rich kids JEMs.

I joined to learn some stuff that maybe steve or his tech put up as a lesson or something new about a guitar trick a wirirng diagram but i see everyone on here seems to know more than the next guy..I know this much the upgrades to EVO and FLO I think you people better go get a bank loan if want the NEW JEM sound Steve's JEM "Flo II" for the upcoming tour. Apart from the standard JEM features (the Sustainer and Vai's pickup configuration) it will incorporate a Line 6 wireless, a Roland GK with 13 -pin output, Thidell Formula True Temperament frets, a Wilkinson roller nut, Steinberger gearless tuners, a killswitch, an onboard tuner driving the
led light by Martin Sims in the neck ( the lights moving one way for sharp, the other for flat, still for pitch), a Don Ramsay Linear tremolo and sunken Dunlop Straplocks.

SOMEBODY BETTER ASK FOR MORE MONEY FROM MOMMMY AND DADDY OR GET 2 MORE JOBS AND FIND ONE HELL OF A GUITAR TECH LIKE MINE HERE IN Virginia that i have had for 20 years you will never get all this put in and working for 10 years or have a JEM to do it to. The neck is about $500 alone the sustainer is $400 if he uses the 401 but my thing is the 401 has 3 inline knobs on a plate already made up and why do this to a HSH body when Ibanez will make him anything he wants and just ordered a HSS body but again only Steve and his Guitar builder/Tech know the truth of WHY...

Just a side note anyone that thought EVO copy was up there in price better hope Ibanez doesnt add these necks to the premium or JEM series for the public if so again get you bank on the phone and look for a medium loan for at least 6-$8000.00 guitar with it all listed above and then you have to buy the rack and the G-system to push it all that almost as much as one of my houses...

Save the music .....Make a noise ................But you don't have to spend all this money to do it.. If you have all the money to keep up with Steve then donate to me your JUNK so I can save some schools around here maybe i can build some more cheap guitars for kids who dont care about what Steve has and just want to learn or be able to have a guitar. And I am dead serious about this last part because this is more important to me than reading who knows more than the next guy, I have been trying to help kids in my community alone for a few years now and if we get donatons of equiptment then it goes to a future shredder with the understanding that this is serious and if one kid is not serious or can truly afford one from mom and dad we go to who that can not afford it and they dont care what it is.. good day or good night ..

contact about donations for kids to donadams70@gmail.com

enjoy Steve ,learn from Steve but we will never be Steve so i just practice soloing of my own over naked tracks and he told me that was why he released it was for us to learn from not to be him.

That is just awesome information.. Glad you shared it.. i would love to give some donations very soon..

Last edited by MarvinBaker on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:42 am 
Newcomer

Some people here either want to complicate what I wrote or want to take a poke at it some for or another .The point i put up here is yes the Jem is a nice guitar but not everyone can have one, but then the next stab is the sound or equipment and this is my point I go to the store get a Jem hooked up to a Legacy and a G system and Axe Fx and what ever else and I am not going to be Vai. I pick up a Jem and play thru a Marshall and I wont sound like Steve and your sound is in your fingers then hell I would be able to replace Petrucci in a minute but i don't own one baritone guitar but hey its in the fingers..
The biggest part of what i wrote was in my words I should of said it slower or with less words is Steve said be YOU, when he released the Naked Tracks those were his first words take my tracks and add your twist to them see if you can play in key or in the mode to keep the song together not his notes so this means no one read the 10 hours or the improved 30 hour workout by Mr. Vai..
Anyway the second part was Vai is Vai for many reason and his styles and sounds will always be his and for a reason, now I personally like the early sounds both live in theaters and on stage in arena's and the studio so when he left Zappa he had learned secrets that none of of us will ever learn unless he tells us but his studio sound.. WOW Desert Diamonds he proved Yngwie could only play one way FAST and had no elegance or grace, He re created Diamond Dave and that wasn't a Jem I believe then it was Charvel,Marshall and Bogner with like 3 rack effects and alot of pedals we all owned like the Ibanez Distortion and the Eddie Van Halen MXR pedal and a few others. Then with all the endorsements the Jem , The H3000 was born and many other of his tricks but it was still those beat up Marshall cabs that took over Whitesnake and then he keeps re inventing himself. All I have said was I read thru the boards and peole ask what does he own how can i sound like that or my favorite was if i plug my guitar into a Legacy like he did for the commercial will I sound just like him.. These are just hard to swallow when as someone said i saw its easy when you get that far up you dont have to buy anything so you keep getting and getting until you sound like whatever you want...
Now my first part was is I am tired of the everyday Jem fan and needing a tremolo half of us cant set up a floating trem unless we have a guitar tech it is all we did but if you have a trem stop yes it would be very easy to set up so that is why I am building with Ibanez my own versions of the Jem just for me and this is the only string through body JEM ever !! and the second is one that was made only for a short time which is the hard tail version of the Jem someone posted that even Steve has one of.. because I hate a trem!!! besides if you know how to use a whammy pedal you dont need a trem. My guitar design was simple Ibanez builds no string through metal guitars and I was trained in a blues manner so my palm mute is too heavy for a trem so I took a Jem body stripped it down to nothing filled some cavity's put a evertune in it and got a good sound and then i contacted Ibanez and explained what i did and what i was after and now I have a string thru Jem body with a sweet low action using neck Evo 2 and bridge Evo and single coil center Breed which is a PAF single ( basically ) so it is Ceramic bridge an Alnico single and Ceramic Neck pick up and it plays and sounds like a dream ... The ONLY JEM string thru ......Thanks Ibanez..

The last part is I teach kids how to play guitar and a lot of them cant afford a guitar so I buy cheap guitars and rework them or I get donations of parts and body's of all kinds to give kids to learn on and keep but with all the stories i have read in this blog about you guys replacing this or getting rid of that I could use some of those junk parts to keep music alive so again anyone with a stock pile of parts or items you wish to get rid of and think a child in need could use please notify and i can try and buy or I can help ship but i have a lot of children who could be the next genius or virtuoso so I would like to do anything to make a child's dream come true... again contact me donadams70@gmail.com save the music

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 am 
Newcomer

Wow! thanks for sharing.