Jem7v tomorrow?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jeries

Jem7v tomorrow?

#1 Post by Jeries » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 pm

2-3 weeks ago a guy posted on craigslist a mint 2000 or 2003 Jem7v

he was asking like $2400

he paid 2800 a few years ago...

i brought him back down to earth- telling him they sell for 1200-1500

and i've passed on them at 1200.

I told him i'd do $900 cash right now...
he said he'd think about it and wouldn't do anything til he talked to me

i then had friends call him lowballing him $500

He then took the guitar off craigslist- i thought it was sold...for 1200 - because i told him to take it if someone offered him that high.

Today I get a call while i'm at a pawn shop buying a vintage plexi that i randomly came across...

he still has the guitar- took it off craigslist- and will take $900

i told him i don't have that much (this is what i call STUPID TAX- if you don't take my offer and wait for others- my offer becomes less)

But i'll do what it takes to make a deal- i told him i wanna check it out in person- maybe even have my guitar guy give it a good look over first

but it looks like i'll get a white jem dead mint for 900 cash

i really want a prestige like a RG3120tw- but i'd be stupid not to get a white jem- even though id rather have something more playable, more me...less Vai/someone else- but its a great guitar for the money....

on top of that- having access to a white sustainer wont hurt either...

just wanted to share- we'll see what happens

guitars911

Re: Jem7v tomorrow?

#2 Post by guitars911 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 am

Darn dude, another great find. So did you seal that deal? Was it a pre 2003?

Jeries

#3 Post by Jeries » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I'll post pics shortly...

I spent the day in Tucson hitting up pawn shops (forget the jem how about an musicman stringray bass for $375 thats 2k new and 12 used)

Got to bed at 3 am- really wanted to sleep in.

you'd think i'd be up early wanting to bang the guys door down to buy the jem for 900 but i wanted to sleep in and did...

he called me at 9 in the morning 'hey do you want the jem' and i'm like 'yeah' and he's like 'when you wanna meet' and i'm like 'fine now'

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

i told him- i need to make one condition....
I've gotten fucked on the last 20 or so guitars i've bought... from craigslist, from guitar center- 90% of them have had severe neck problems, needed refrets, or were warped beyond my repair. If i didn't wanna keep it- i'd buy it for 900 and sell it-

IN FACT the week before i bought from a friend for $700 a Jem 7dbk... took it to my guitar guy- the bass side of the fretboard was warped and the neck was flimsy as hell and bent like rubber (his views) and not worth putting the money in- so i sold it right away for 700.

so i said 'hey i wanna see first if the guitars real- then i want to meet at my guitar guys shop to see if its bent/warped/destroyed/etc because i've been screwed lately- AND if i say no i'll give you $20 for your time'

all the other times i just bought the guitar first then told they were messed up- this time- at that kind of money- needed it looked at first...

so he's cool with it- i get the- the jem is clearly real- made in 2000, good bridge, ebony board- just a little bit of wear of the gold off the bottom 3 saddles but not bad at all- there were 2 small dings on the back, maybe the size of a pen tip.

he drives me to the guitar shop

oh- holding it in my hand because he has no case for it...

the guitars pots were loose and crappy- the output jack was OUT of the guitar and messed up...

guitar guy looks it over- says 'necks perfect, great shape, tons of life in the frets and with a setup and fretdress it will be PERFECT' got back to his place and said 'lets talk business'

i said 'you don't have the case or paperwork and other than the set up i need to get the pots and jacked fixed how about 800'

he said 'no- i need 900'

i say 'ok- here's 900'

took it home- fixed the pots in 2 seconds by tightening them- fixed the jack in 2 seconds by tighening the nut from the back...

the bridge is so good on this thing- i set the thing up pretty damn good myself- and for the first time in 7 years- I"M PLAYING IN TUNE
the guitar GETS in tune- the guitar stays in tune... so much better than the indonesian rgs

While restringing i noticed SEVERE denting in frets 1-4, but i tried bending and playing them there and they didn't get stuck or buzz- called my guitar guy- he said he noticed it and knew of it- and that he can take care of it with a fret dress.

before i bought the guitar- i had him write a ticket on it...

NOW
if there's anything to be jealous about it's this...
guess what i ordered today...

Fernandes FSK 401
WITH BRAND NEW

WHITE DRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAUHHHHHHHHHHHAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

guitars911

#4 Post by guitars911 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 am

That's cool, good deal(s) too. I don't play much bass guitar. Sounds like you will do good flipping that one.

I got $800 in the 7DBK + case I recently found. It was a close to closet queen condition. I love the neck on that one. After playing it for a while now and not touching my other guitars I picked up my 7V and was like wow these necks are really different. Not in a bad way though.. Both feel great.

Rub it in, rub it in why don't cha. White driver... Black ones sound better any way.. :D

Jeries

#5 Post by Jeries » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

a week before i got the jem

a friend calling saying
'hey i need to buy me and my wife new phones and i need a gun i wanna sell my jem'

it's a 7dbk
in MINT condition

sam ash i thought would offer him 400-500 and i'd match/beat it
but they offered him 650/700

i told him i'd do 700

i LOVED the neck on it- it was super thing awesome i loved it

the neck on as i said above- looked fine on one side but bad on the other- took it to my guitar guy- he told me to sell it asap... so i did for 700

i didn't loose anything i had a wah pedal and amp with it that i sold for $40 and the pedal i still have- so even if i made 40 on the deal it def wasn't worth the effort- but i planned to keep it

i think the 7dkb is going to be the next big collector jem