VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steves Acoustic set up ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 am 

Hey folks I was just curious if anyone knows Steves signal chain for his acoustic set up ? I know he is using the G-force with it.

He hasn't talked much about his acoustic set up in all the interviews iv seen. Is the G-force going into a direct box of some sort ?

I guess he has some delays and maybe chorus going on from the G-force ?

lets talk acoustic :)

Has anyone played his EP-10 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am 

honestly I've been wondering the same thing. In the video where he debued the orchestration of the fire garden suite he has a separate cable for the acoustic, so does his acoustic go through his cabs? Probably not, they're direct from the axe fx fx loop In the amp. He probably has a desperate mp, OR his acoustic goes through the PA but that seems very unlikely too. A while back he posted a pic of him and the audience and you could see the whole back of his rig, I'll look at that and see if I can find anything. I'll post it if I can, but Jeroens image size limit is inhibiting me, with a rather annoyingly mobile device, to do so ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 am 

99% sure...

Guitar>gforce>PA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 am 

Yeah, I've been wondering that too. But as you mentioned, there is a separated cable for the Acoustic (purple one), as it was on WTWTA Tour (blue one). You can see on some videos (with orcestra), that he turns a knob on his Carvin TS 100, when the Acoustic set comes on.

Also, a funny thing though.....on that picture that Kyle was talking about - both Legacies 3 are plugged only for the power.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm 

HOLY SHIT we must be the same person, that legacy III thing. I was going to say something but I didn't want to.

Somehow I knew he didn't really use it to "pop into for occasional sounds" (is it wierd I can quote gear runthrough tours :) ) and I'm completley fine with that. He just likes the Legacy I the best, it's what he's most familiar with and if be worried it he just threw away his legacy I. To the best of my inference knowledge, Steve didn't really feel the need to improve on the amp. I think it was more a Carvin thing because they ARE a company and need a new product and what not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 am 

kyle am I wrote:
HOLY SHIT we must be the same person, that legacy III thing. I was going to say something but I didn't want to.

Somehow I knew he didn't really use it to "pop into for occasional sounds" (is it wierd I can quote gear runthrough tours :) ) and I'm completley fine with that. He just likes the Legacy I the best, it's what he's most familiar with and if be worried it he just threw away his legacy I. To the best of my inference knowledge, Steve didn't really feel the need to improve on the amp. I think it was more a Carvin thing because they ARE a company and need a new product and what not.

I was having this on my mind for a long time. They were constantly on standby, or even turned off (when he had problems with the amp, at the show in Ljubljana). Also what caught my attention were knobs, you can't keep all of them at 12 o'clock on a single channel, with a green light inside...

Now when he's down under, he's using Marsh... cabs, with a Legacy badge put on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 am 

wait he's using Marshall cabs? I thought that was just a new design from carvin
ocxcxd wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

I was having this on my mind for a long time. They were constantly on standby, or even turned off (when he had problems with the amp, at the show in Ljubljana). Also what caught my attention were knobs, you can't keep all of them at 12 o'clock on a single channel, with a green light inside...

Now when he's down under, he's using Marsh... cabs, with a Legacy badge put on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 am 

kyle am I wrote:
wait he's using Marshall cabs? I thought that was just a new design from carvin
ocxcxd wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

With a white stripe around the mesh, and a golden badge in the left lower corner?? :D No way, i thought the same at one point, but this idea was too weird. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 am 

lol NO, the new "legacy" design on the front, I haven't seen a single detailed picture with the white line and the golden thing. I've only seen the new legacy design that I'm guessing is covering the Marshall name. It probably is just a problem with shipping the legacy cabs or some shit, it's a ton of money to ship that stuff and probably a lot to ship it to Australia.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 am 

It's not the first time done this way :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:37 am 

I found Vai using two DSL's

http://youtu.be/32Wn6rGCZiw

great amp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 am 

Nice amp, noticable brighter sound than his usual. I think I've seen this before.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:56 am 

Steve could play through a Line 6 combo and still would sound awesome.