VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:12 pm 

Is there any way to convince Ibanez to do limited edition FLO? I just bought an EVO and I'd like to get one flo ,2, or any number in 1000 days from now. Please if any worker or friend read this i think it would be a good idea and i want to keep me one of the list to be bought, thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am 

a little roll playing

me- 'omg a flo clone would be awesome i'd buy one'
a few weeks later
me- 'omg ibanez is going to make a flo copy'
at namm...
me- 'omg there it is- wtf $10,000!!! $7000 street price!? i can just buy a used JEM and put a sustainer in it!!'
then a few weeks later
me- then i think of doing that and then just do it in a $300 ibanez RG because i don't want to screw up a $2000 guitar by getting it routed.

although my last sustainer install turned out perfect (my second)

i should have the guitar this week- getting a genuine floyd rose (i kind of have 1000 invested in the guitar now- the orig guitar was only $200 used- and i got a $300 bridge put in)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm 

thats ok but having a jem with a sustainer wouldn't be the I Lu reason someone would buy a flo replica. If someone wanted just a jem with sustainer then hell yeah just buy a jem and put in a sustainer. People would buy a flo replica because it is a replica of flo, and hopefully because flo Dosent have as bad of a beatup as evo it wouldn't be a retail price of $7. A flo replica could probably go for more than 100 also. The problem would be getting fernandes to ship 100+ white sustainers to ibanez to have the guitars made, and depending on how fernandes is with pricing, we could end up with the price of an evo replica.

Original flo is back routed, has a special hybrid neck joint, has a (probably highly modded) fernandes sustainer system, with a special neck to fit the hybrid neck joint. Add a few minor injuries on the front, a few more than the front on the back, and a couple scratches and stress marks and you've got a flo replica.

Evo is a front routed jem with standard neck joint, with an 2 evo bridge humbuckers. Evo has a billion cracks and smashes which would take more time and effort to replicate probably than Having a guitar with only minor injuries.

Both guitars have backstops.

Jeries wrote:
a little roll playing

me- 'omg a flo clone would be awesome i'd buy one'
a few weeks later
me- 'omg ibanez is going to make a flo copy'
at namm...
me- 'omg there it is- wtf $10,000!!! $7000 street price!? i can just buy a used JEM and put a sustainer in it!!'
then a few weeks later
me- then i think of doing that and then just do it in a $300 ibanez RG because i don't want to screw up a $2000 guitar by getting it routed.

although my last sustainer install turned out perfect (my second)

i should have the guitar this week- getting a genuine floyd rose (i kind of have 1000 invested in the guitar now- the orig guitar was only $200 used- and i got a $300 bridge put in)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 pm 

flo was a foral jem so it didn't have an AANJ- it was added when it was changed to white- thats why its back routed and you call it 'hybrid'

also- fernandes has enough trouble making enough sustainers as is and meeting the demand for the kits- they were out for a while

and there's no such thing as a modded sustainer- they're all the same and there isn't anything you can do with it- but you can do a lot of experimenting with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:46 am 

i remember reading somewhere that there was hardly anything stock with flos sustainer. I know flo was a floral pattern they sanded down the square heel and made a hybrid aanj. That's also why it's back routed. That's a shame if fernandes has a hard time making their own product. Why would they have a hard time making white sustainers? What makes them hard to make?
Jeries wrote:
flo was a foral jem so it didn't have an AANJ- it was added when it was changed to white- thats why its back routed and you call it 'hybrid'

also- fernandes has enough trouble making enough sustainers as is and meeting the demand for the kits- they were out for a while

and there's no such thing as a modded sustainer- they're all the same and there isn't anything you can do with it- but you can do a lot of experimenting with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am 
Newcomer

Sorry dudes, but Ibanez are very unlikely to make any guitars that come with a Fernandes Sustainer ever. Ibanez and Fernandes are independent and competing Japanese guitar manufacturing companies. That would be like Fender and Gibson working together to make a guitar. Probably not gonna happen...ever. Unless Ibanez buys Fernandes...
If Ibanez ever sells a stock guitar with a Sustainer system, it's going to be a Sustainiac since they are an independent company and not a guitar manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flo's sustainer is a stock fs-401 sustainer. Noting modded about it. Matter of fact, the rest of the setup is as you would expect from any Jem.

J