VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 am 

This morning i cried of happyness when my evo arrived but later i discovered those frets, as i've paid 7.200 euros it would be kind if i could get true temperament, or is it impossible to keep this museum guitar wood if only the frets are changed? Víctor Gracia Quintana from Sabadell, Barcelona, Spain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 am 

All of the Evo replicas are labeled as #1 of 100, serial number is stamped after the last fret on the fretboard.
If you want a neck with TT system, you should contact - http://www.truetemperament.com.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm 

why get an evo replica if you want TT?

if you can afford a $10000 guitar you can probably afford $1500 for a used JEM and then get it refretted

i also wouldn't go the TT route

Vai doesn't even use it.

Although I do know the next step/evolution in his search for perfect intonation that thomas has been experimenting with since namm- we talked for 30min about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:39 am 

Jeries wrote:
why get an evo replica if you want TT?

if you can afford a $10000 guitar you can probably afford $1500 for a used JEM and then get it refretted

i also wouldn't go the TT route

Vai doesn't even use it.

Although I do know the next step/evolution in his search for perfect intonation that thomas has been experimenting with since namm- we talked for 30min about it.

And what is that step?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Antares Auto Tune.

Thomas has it built in his Evo replica. It is truly ridiculously good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:25 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
Antares Auto Tune.

I ran into him right after he spent an hour or two with Antares being shown the new system (in a Les Paul)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:38 pm 

Oh, that's a giant step forward. Can't wait too see Steve using it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:52 am 

wait, Thomas had it installed in steves evo replica or his own?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:32 am 

Jeries wrote:

Thomas's

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 pm 

I watched some videos where he shows new switching volume, where could i get the same one? what sort of tissue cloth he uses to stop noise? is that a good idea to send my guitar to get fernandes sustainer? Do he have any evo with sustainer? Is there anything new that i should do like get certain ernie ball 9-42 strings or fish oil or something i don't know? May i get one of those new light weight tremolo arms? I'd really love to use this guitar as he would do.

Thank you everyone for answering, I realized later that all photographs of evo's had the number 1. Also i discovered those changed frets 2 hours after receiving my evo. After reading the whole explaining web of those frets i won't change the originals.. If anyone wants to watch me feeling when unpacking as if i was a child on christmas, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdHF18JA1ag , you all take care. Love.

Last edited by Víctorfromspain on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm 

First I'll say- I like the intonation of the guitar
its a little off- but nothings perfect- and Rock And Roll music has been doing pretty well with guitars the last 60 years even if its off a little around a few strings/frets.

Second- Every instruments has its 'quarks' you can say
The only instrument that is relatively perfect is a synthesiser or sampler

other than that- every instrument has problems.

Trumpets have intonation issues- every time you play a D you have to move your lips to play it sharp so the note comes out right (ironically raising your eyebrows achieves this perfectly)

Violins aren't perfect- you have to use your ears and listen to others around you...

Pianos are interesting too a piano that is in tune would sound AWFUL!
And in the physics of music- for a chord (1 3 5) to sound in tune perfectly the 3rd of the chord has to be ever so slightly sharp to resonant like it should. In the case of pianos- the middle/higher keys have 3 strings per note (tuned a little flat a little sharp and right on) so it sounds in tune and plesent- the bass keys on the other hand are hell- there's one string for a note- and if they're dead on in tune they sound awful! so how are they tuned? you baically tune up the middle keys C - C and then relatively tune the bass strings by ear... so they sound in tune and sound well together- the lower you go on a piano the more far away from the natural 'in tune' frequency you are BUT it sounds the best this way.

Our ears are pretty well trained- so the little nuances aren't that big of a deal...just take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 am 

Víctorfromspain wrote:
I watched some videos where he shows new switching volume, where could i get the same one? what sort of tissue cloth he uses to stop noise? is that a good idea to send my guitar to get fernandes sustainer? Do he have any evo with sustainer? Is there anything new that i should do like get certain ernie ball 9-42 strings or fish oil or something i don't know? May i get one of those new light weight tremolo arms? I'd really love to use this guitar as he would do.

Thank you everyone for answering, I realized later that all photographs of evo's had the number 1. Also i discovered those changed frets 2 hours after receiving my evo. After reading the whole explaining web of those frets i won't change the originals.. If anyone wants to watch me feeling when unpacking as if i was a child on christmas, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdHF18JA1ag , you all take care. Love.

I would tell you not to change anything on the guitar, as far as hardware and stuff. That way you won't ruin it's collectors value. Steve hasn't got a sustainer built in Evo, because it changes the sound completely. Tremolo arms are exchangable, so go get the lightweight one. Take care of the guitar, and you're good to rock :guitar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 am 

I would tell you not to change anything on the guitar, as far as hardware and stuff. That way you won't ruin it's collectors value. Steve hasn't got a sustainer built in Evo, because it changes the sound completely. Tremolo arms are exchangable, so go get the lightweight one. Take care of the guitar, and you're good to rock :guitar[/quote]

Thank you, i better make changes in my cheap version rg350dxz, they're quite similar so i'm used to the shape, but first test on evo sounded very profesional with my hendrix digitech pedal and easier to be played, if i had this marvellous when i started playing i would have improved my playing, noone could win the tour de France with an old BH bike or expose in Louvre with for kids paint instead of oil. I will take care not exposing to sun, i'll use other guitars when i just feel need of gimnastics so i won't worn the frets. My father was dissapointed when saw the scratches, It took me a long to explain is real new very little touched and that is artistic to have made it look old and used. Here in Spain when I say i have bought the best guitar in the world, most people disagree for heart musical tastes but i know this clever machine instrument is better than a spanish guitar used by Paco de Lucía. I appreciate the work by developing new and better guitars, i like the stick, the backpacker and strumstick, the switch of tom morello, the solid slide of battacharya, i'd like to try that fernandes sustainer because holding a single string for with a EBow isn't that playable, i use my left foot thumb to the screen of a kaoss pad 3 and now i'll also use a mini kp up on the guitar, i heard bellamy got a built inside touchscreen, i guess someday there will be a perfect guitar with all these and other complements such as the tuning robot for a floyd rose and the dumper by j.batten all at once, i feel sorry for not sharing my new music rules but nowadays copyrights, patents, intellectual property and authour rights are jokes because of free sharing global knowledgement movement on internet so music teachers wouldn't give me half they earn by teaching with my new information so the harmony developments i did '94-'98 won't be published in some generations until the respect to inventions change, i fight myself in contradiction. Does people deserve? Einstein was just a thief of patents. Was it Tesla, Edison or an unknown person like me who invented lamp lights? When i think of musicians i enjoy i feel sorry to couldn't share them my work to make them even better because i can't trust and could be sparse worldwide mouth to mouth or copy&pasted, so i have to let people do freely play with the antique information they have but i do learn from world as we are a community as ants speciallized. I do paid for this useful windows netbook and i download to enjoy things that should have been protected. Life is a game to enjoy and we all die, i heard last week an inventor here not only was stolen but got to unjustice jail sued by thieves and did a lot of inventings winning each year the spanish price but used friends as owners. In these 15 years since i finished my music theory noone has invented the same, maybe that would be the finish of my nightmare but also i want to be remembered for this contribution since all developments comes from remixed things as jems are a better strato. The inventors should be protected as kings for they (we) are the engines of culture. Now i have this EVO guitar and feel as grateful as poor for a year long. Thanks for reading, love, Víctor Gracia Quintana.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 am 

Dude, congrats with your Evo! And my advice would be the same, don't change a thing. Enjoy playing it. ;)

Post subject: I bought evo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 pm 

my evo flying case looks like dracula's coffin, anyway, hope someday they release FLO III to be bought, i'll keep money waiting.