VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steve making a TonePrint
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am 

Hey guys!

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuY_vTS ... r_embedded

and

http://www.tcelectronic.com/steve-vai/

Notice Steve's new 70V with sustainiac.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
Newcomer

Just watched this. Sounds cool, I think I'm gonna load his new toneprint up on my TC Trinity reverb.
I did notice the Sustainiac system in that guitar. I wonder if he is going to switch to using them instead of Fernandes? I hope he does, and here's why:
1. Sustainiac developed the system and owns the patent on the system, Fernandes pays them to use it and the version Fernandes sells is actually an older version of the system. I'm not saying that Sustainiac's system is 'better', but think about it guys, Sustainiac are the ones who put in all of the R&D on this product and the only company continuing to advance the quality of the system.
2. Ibanez is never going to sell a Jem or RG with a Fernandes Sustainer system in it because Fernandes is one of Ibanez' top competitors (esp. in Japan). If Vai switches to Sustainiac (which is an independent American company) we might finally see a Jem or RG that comes stock with a sustainer! :guitar This will be awesome!
Note, nothing against Fernandes, I installed the Fernandes FSK101 Sustainer system on my 2000 RG570 and it is very nice, it works well and is very inspiring, but as Vai himself (and other users) have noted it does have some quirks, and installing the system is labor intensive and tricky. I would love to be able to buy a Jem or RG that came stock with a sustainer! :headbang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomas has been trying to get Steve over to the Sustainiac since forever. Actually, this isn't the first guitar with a Sustainiac that Steve has, there are a few more.

But the vote isn't in yet - he very much likes the Fernandes, although they can be a bit of a hit & miss.
The Fernandes that is in the Sea Foam that he has with him right now is very good, as is the one in Flo. Flo III has had issues with it in the past (and indeed a replaced driver). Back in 2010, when he was to perform with the NNO, the sustainer in Flo III was crapping out. He ended up using one of my Jems that has an exceptionally good sustainer.

I think he likes the sound of the Fernandes more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm 

i really hope Steve Dosent switch to sustainiac- I just got my fernandes in lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:15 pm 
Newcomer

That's cool that Steve rocked your Jem at the gig. I did not know that. I gotta admit, you get to hang out with some cool dudes Jeroen. I did know that Steve had done extensive testing of the Fernandes and Sustainiac Systems. At least one of his Sustainiac equipped Jems, a burnt stained blue model I think, was sold by Steve's usual Ebay Seller. It's interesting to me that Joe Satriani is using the Sustainiac system in some of his axes and has been saying very good things about the sound and response. I am still hoping for a stock Ibanez Jem or RG with a sustainer. I really enjoy having a sustainer equipped guitar and hope that the good folks at Ibanez will do the work for me next time! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 am 

Jaymz D wrote:
That's cool that Steve rocked your Jem at the gig. I did not know that.

Steve is currently on tour and using another one of Jeroen's Jems;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTFwP2DGLk