What strings and string gauge does Steve use?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
scottinomaha

What strings and string gauge does Steve use?

#1 Post by scottinomaha » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:49 am

I am sure its on here but i will ask anyway i was wondering what size strings he uses and what brand. :?:

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#2 Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:02 pm

On most of Steve's guitars, he uses Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s - 42s, (with the hot pink packaging.)

Every once in a while, Steve puts 10s on a guitar or two, especially when he wants a lower tuning. 10s are on one or two of his Universe guitars right now because they are tuned down a whole step, and the low B string is tuned another whole step further.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

shader

#3 Post by shader » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:35 pm

So thats what, Drop-G? isn't htat a bit... much...

davester1234

#4 Post by davester1234 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:49 pm

not if you know how to play it right :wink:

Grandor

#5 Post by Grandor » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:06 am

Thats right.

on his universes does he use 9-42?
I would think he would have a thicker B string.

Henrique Henriques

#6 Post by Henrique Henriques » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:44 am

That is why I am having such a hard time doing the Attitude song double stop (or it short stop?) bends...I use Dean Markley 10-52 (the Hybrid LTHB)...Wow I have stronger strings then Steve!!! :shock: But then again he is a much³³³³³³³³³ Better³³³³³ Player!! heheheheheh :oops: :roll:

Henrique Henriques

#7 Post by Henrique Henriques » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:50 am

I forgot to ask... I know he used back in '96 (I guess) dean Markley's Blue Steel. But why did he change? And did he use any other brand before Dean Markley and Ernie Ball?

Thanx...and Rock on!!! :P

Aardvark
Newcomer

Vai's strings

#8 Post by Aardvark » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:20 pm

He used D'addario in his earlier days.

Henrique Henriques

#9 Post by Henrique Henriques » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:04 pm

Just Love this forum...Everyone has something to share!!

Thanx a bunch, but my other question wasn't answered!

But thanx anyway! :)

motogod
Newcomer

#10 Post by motogod » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:22 pm

When you endorse a product like strings, it really doesnt matter what brand you are playing cuz you dont need them to last long cuz you have all you want at you're disposal and you get to have a fresh set every night. Plus you get paid to play them. Thats why steve at one point used evry string out there. It's who ever pays the most. Steve dont buy strings. I need a set of strings that will last at least a month. If i buy a set of d'addarios, i will break one every day without fail (usually the e string). I also play about 4 hrs. a day. But if i'm satriani i can use d'addarios and get my guitar tech to put a fresh set on everyday. Dean markeys are the only strings that hold up for me. I've used d'addarios for 10 years cuz i figured if satriani used them they have to be good. Wrong!!

Virulent

#11 Post by Virulent » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:38 pm

Might have something to do with your playing too...

:roll:

RAI

#12 Post by RAI » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:08 pm

motogod wrote:If i buy a set of d'addarios, i will break one every day without fail. I've used d'addarios for 10 years cuz i figured if satriani used them they have to be good. Wrong!!
You broke a string every day for 10 years, yet you continued to buy the product??????

I had a Fender Strat that snapped strings like crazy.
After two months that guitar was gone.
Even though that guitar was a major investment for me (at the time I was 16), I couldn't stand it.
Strings are cheap...
You could switch brand every week, until you find something you like.
10 years is a long, long time..........
:shock:

Matwey

#13 Post by Matwey » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:48 pm

motogod wrote:If i buy a set of d'addarios, i will break one every day without fail (usually the e string). I also play about 4 hrs. a day.
FINALLY! Someone, who's breaking D'Addarios broken one E a day! :P When i had four high E D'Addario's four days in row, i thought that has something wrong to do with the pick and/or me :) "Bad luck" you say? :?: Now i replaced 'em with seperate D'Aquisto (B- and A- D'Addario's been broken too btw :roll: :P) -- and they seem to be fine :)

justcartilage

#14 Post by justcartilage » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:05 am

Isn't it strange how opinions differ?? I tried Dean Markleys because Vai used them, and I must say I wasn't very impressed, and went back to D'Addario of which I've used for all of my 13 years of playing (except when I tried Markleys). Love D'Addarios. It's very surprising to see that you guys have so much trouble with them. Haven't tried Ernie Ball strings. What are your opinions on those?

Thats why steve at one point used evry string out there. It's who ever pays the most.

I doubt that was the total reasoning of his choice. At a guess I'd say since Mr Vai is so partial to tone and how his intstrument sounds the quality of the sound from the strings would have to be a huge consideration. Not how much they pay or how many of them break.

Reaper

#15 Post by Reaper » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:40 am

justcartilage wrote:Isn't it strange how opinions differ?? I tried Dean Markleys because Vai used them, and I must say I wasn't very impressed, and went back to D'Addario of which I've used for all of my 13 years of playing (except when I tried Markleys). Love D'Addarios. It's very surprising to see that you guys have so much trouble with them. Haven't tried Ernie Ball strings. What are your opinions on those?
I'm the same way. I heard about these godly "blue steels", tried 'em out, and hated them. I'm going on about 4 months on the D'Addarios on my SG right now, with no breakage...