VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm 

Jaymz D wrote:
Thanks for the info Jeroen! I know this next question might seem like heresy, :wink: , but I often wonder, does EVO still have the original Evolution pickups from back in the day? (or have they secretly been changed....) :lol:

I often wonder that too :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's probably taped or glued.

Re: Evo: not quite sure. They look different, but it could be that they have been rebuild/restored by Dimarzio.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
It's probably taped or glued.

Re: Evo: not quite sure. They look different, but it could be that they have been rebuild/restored by Dimarzio.

I read somwhere that they were restored by DiMarzio around 2006/2007 - changed pickup covers, polepieces. But it's somehow weird, because if you watch the video of the Crossroads festival, Evo has a different bridge pickup in there (with gold polepieces).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 pm 

yeah, i wondered that too. ive had my guitar for 1 and a half, and my pickups have like worn and scratched and have cracks all over them.the pickup covers for the humbuckers would get yellow, the single coils do but you can easily change the covers. and does anyone anywhere have any pictures of evo with the pickguard off? i want to see if the yellowed aged paint is carried on under the pickguard. plus, its just interesting. any pictures of original flo like that? anything like that is much apreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 pm 
Newcomer

kyle am I wrote:
does anyone anywhere have any pictures of evo with the pickguard off?
Word.
Maybe Steve is secretly rocking the Gravity Storm Pickups in EVO! :shock: I can't remember where it was, but I remember reading that Steve used them on Racing the World, then in a video interview I was watching a few days ago, (from that online guitar mag, can't remember the name, IGuitar I think, with a British fellow, chillin' at the Harmony Hut) Steve said that 'Racing' was real easy and fun to record, "just EVO right to the Legacy". :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:46 pm 

he didnt in the neck position. the tape over the pickup had been the same since 2007. maybe the bridge, but i think thats highly unlikley. if he did, probably temporarily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:50 pm 
Newcomer

:D I agree, I think EVO always sounds like EVO. Maybe one of the replicas has the Gravity Storm set in it?... :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:12 am 

Jaymz D wrote:
kyle am I wrote:
Word.
Maybe Steve is secretly rocking the Gravity Storm Pickups in EVO! :shock: I can't remember where it was, but I remember reading that Steve used them on Racing the World, then in a video interview I was watching a few days ago, (from that online guitar mag, can't remember the name, IGuitar I think, with a British fellow, chillin' at the Harmony Hut) Steve said that 'Racing' was real easy and fun to record, "just EVO right to the Legacy". :)

That was for the Sunshine Electric Raindrops :wink:
kyle am I wrote:
he didnt in the neck position. the tape over the pickup had been the same since 2007. maybe the bridge, but i think thats highly unlikley. if he did, probably temporarily

You can still see the piece of tape (big, rounded one) which was put in 2005, when Evo had pickups with black polepieces. I think they left the tape there.

BTW, what would be that new green tape on Evo? It's lighter green than the tape that's on FLO. (neon green)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 am 

ocxcxd wrote:
Jaymz D wrote:
kyle am I wrote:
Word.

That was for the Sunshine Electric Raindrops :wink:
kyle am I wrote:

You can still see the piece of tape (big, rounded one) which was put in 2005, when Evo had pickups with black polepieces. I think they left the tape there.

BTW, what would be that new green tape on Evo? It's lighter green than the tape that's on FLO. (neon green)

the big rounded tape has been on since 2005. the piece over that on the pickup has been there since 2007. so he didnt change the neck pickup. the new tape is flourescent yellow, not green. but i dont understand why they dont just pull off the old tape and put new stuff on, why keep the old stuff there? it looks real bad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 am 

oh, and i asked spalt guitars on facebook what was used to hold the dummy coil in, he said it was just doublesided tape.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:27 am 

Thanks for clearing that up :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 am 

Look what I've found. It looks like the double sided tape has worn out, so they had to fix the problem without putting off the pickguard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am 

Remember Everyone-

The most important aspect of guitar playing is the tape on the pickups...

it's not going to Berklee School of Music....

it's not practice....

It's really just the tape on pickups.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:11 pm 

Jeries wrote:
Remember Everyone-

The most important aspect of guitar playing is the tape on the pickups...

it's not going to Berklee School of Music....

it's not practice....

It's really just the tape on pickups.

well, as long as you say so ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:57 pm 

Jeroen,

what about the caps on highpass filter?331 alone or a combination of caps?

Also is there a coil tap on the push pull?talkin about bridge pickup coil tap?

thank you so much in advance for the info
Alex