Ibanez Evo Replica Unveiling - Skunk Stripe

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
kyle am I

On the video for the Ibanez JEM Evo , if you pause it in the beginning they have all the pictures they took of the guitar to make the replica, there is a picture of evo with a skunk stripe neck. If these pictures are recent why does EVO have a skunkstripe neck? But then in the video evo is back to her regular neck. Any speculation?
Jeries

i did see that

evo has had maybe a dozen necks i think- maybe half a dozen but SEVERAL

i see the photo you speak of

idk

looks like a basic late 90s early 2000s Japan neck skunk stripe - idk

but at 2 points in the video- taking it out of the case and sitting on the couch- no skunk stripe

idk
kyle am I

maybe he was just... experimenting?
Jeries

btw

on my two main guitars i had the finish taken off the neck professionally by my guitar guy...

FUCKING AMAZING

incredible...
everyone buy sandpaper and take the finish off your necks now!

amazing feel
best thing thats happened to my guitar playing

feel...comfort...playability...perfection

do it now
ocxcxd

At some point Evo had TT neck, which is no longer on her.... I guess that the TT neck had bubinga stripe. From what I've known, firstly, there was the original Evo neck and then there came the famous Red Lace neck, which had black headstock, and was later customized along with FLO's 555 and BO's neck with leds. RL neck had green LEDs, FLO and BO necks had blue LEDs. After the RL neck, Evo had a neck with the bubinga stripe, and this neck was on the guitar around the Astoria performance. After that, I guess there were two regular necks, without the bubinga stripe. And then TT came, but now, there's another neck, or maybe even the pre-TT neck. From these pictures, I can see that Evo's neck has very thick fretboard.

EDIT: Forgot to notice.... I belive these pictures that you can see on special website and in the video, weren't taken in recent. Because if you look carefully, you'll see that the mark on the side of the guitar is more intensive green. Also, the strap isn't that much worn out. I guess they were taken around two or three years ago.
Last edited by ocxcxd on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
kyle am I

is it possible the fretboard just looks thick because Steve wore the nek down so much?
tommyd48

kyle am I wrote:is it possible the fretboard just looks thick because Steve wore the nek down so much?
I think you have it in one there Kyle . :wink:
avianoguitarist

Jeries wrote:btw

on my two main guitars i had the finish taken off the neck professionally by my guitar guy...

FUCKING AMAZING

incredible...
everyone buy sandpaper and take the finish off your necks now!

amazing feel
best thing thats happened to my guitar playing

feel...comfort...playability...perfection

do it now

Yeah--some of us have been doing that for decades.
One thing to keep in mind though--rub some Tung oil over the unfinished neck to help preserve it.

Ever since I put an unfinished Warmoth neck on a Kramer Pacer Deluxe back in 1987, I've sanded the finish off every other neck I've acquired over the years. They feel great!
R1FSR

Thought id add this to your neck sanding info ...not really about sanding as such but maybe usefull in cleaning raw wood :wink:

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... t=BFP+NECK