Ibanez Evo, just accept it!!!

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
kyle am I

We all know that the limited edition EVO replica will be out, and I feel the need to personallytell soke people to please shut their faces. I have seen so many nasty comments on face book and other forums about the $10k price range. Yes, we all know that is very expensive. GET OVER IT. This jem is a LIMITED EDITION. his means that it is going to be rare and, ooohh, what comes with limeted editions, A LARGE PRICE TAG. But news flash, this guitar is not a normal jem. Just look at the other pictures on the others forum. A 100% EVO replica. Every ding scratch and cranny is included, minus a real life crack. There's tape, Velcro, pick holders, dirt and sweat. This is meant for serious collectoror investor, or anyone who is a true die hard vai fan and wants one. Limeted edition. 100 made to satisfyyl over a million fans. To keep the buying of these guitars fair, there is a high price to ensure that everyone will get equal chance to purchase. And this. Is for the entire Ibanez JEM 25 anniversary. That is a hell of an event. So anyone crying or complaining, grow up. If you think people r stupid for buying what they truly want, just don't say anything. Ever heard that it is the quality and value to the owner that is important, not the price. Yeah, I'm a little bummed to not b able to get one, but so what. Good for anyone who has saved up for a true collectibles. I'm perfectly happy with my rg350mp, modded with a white sustained, evo pickups my own tape, Velcro sweat tears and dints and drops. I feel perfeclh fine with not having one, and itbis a collectibles. Not meant to be truly played and toured with. Yes if you buy a ten k guitar you want to play it, but not touted and actually dropped and used extensively. Hope I made this clear, that. Ti's guitar ismade for only those who would sacrifice 10 g s for it. Those r the only people who deserve it.
Bryceybhoy

So, let me see, what you're saying is that I'm not allowed to complain that I can't afford it and it seems like yet another money grabbing exercise from Steve? You mean I have to shut my face about it?

Oh well, consider my face well and truly shut and that I am totally over it.
Big Bad Bill

$10k for a guitar? That's a piffling amount for me and I wouldn't even bother getting my wallet out for something that cheap-its bound to be crap.
anuj

"Money grabbing exercise" seems a bit excessive. I've fiddled with one, and it's truly fantastic. I couldn't afford one for the far foreseeable future, but as an instrument itself, it's outstanding. FWIW, a Sugi guitar goes for many thousands even when it isn't a "famous" guitar's replica.
kyle am I

No, I didn't mean anyone here at the vai.com forum. There are many people all over the Internet talking about this. I am not trying to start an argument, but just like with the universe swirl reissue. It J's a LIMITED EDITION. It is not meannt to just be bought by anyone. It J's supposed to be bought by a collector or someone who would be willing to spent that money on this. Someone who will take care of it. I take back the shut your face part, because that was very... argumentative. J am sorry for my wrongful approach. But I was just so mad people were complaining. It is a LIMITED EDITION. Only 100 made. To try to satisfy a million vai fans. The price therefore is going to be very high. And where else will you buy a GENUJNE IBANEZ JEM EVO replica like this, with the agony and tape and pickholders and scratches, dings etc of the real EVO. I prefer to make my own dings and scratches. I want my guitar to get aged by myself. But for someone who also finds this alluring and wants a part if vai history and collectible to cherish forever, go ahead. You are allowed to complain, and that is understandable. But then when you say its going into stevedores pocket, yeah he may make a profit of the hems, but dosent he fricken DESERVE it??? Tell me, when you see a wealthy person driving in a ferrari audi lambo Mercedes et, do you complain about rich snobs just buying the car just to have it? If they have worked hard in life and sacrificed and totally immersed themselves in success because of it, what is wrong with getting what you deserve. Steve deserves way much more than what he makes off the hems, and Steve is nit just about money. He is about the music. About spirit, tone life happiness sacrifice, selfelessness, guitars. Music, and fans. He was fortunate enough that uspeople of the world enjoy his creations. And the ego replica marks the 25 anniversary of the ibanez jem. Something that will go down in ibanez history. Did u also complain about the universe reissue, or 10th anniversary jem, or 20th anniversary, etc prices. Once again, Steve created the jem. If anyone deserves to make mega huge bucks on an amazing ludicrous guitar as the jem, it is Steve Vai.
Jeries

certain things are stupid...

for example THIS (the Evo guitar)
and another example is any expensive fender strat in the world...

If i wanted a replica of evo bad enough to spend 10k- i would spend 2k and get a regular one- beat it up and make every detail of it like evo...OR if you wanna be super cheap buy a chinese knockoff jem, and then EVO it up... and it's $8000=9700 cheaper.

Whenever i see a nice fender strat (particularly new custom shop strats) for like $2000, 3000, 5000 etc...

For about $500 you can build the same guitar from scratch (and it actually be better than the real thing)

Anything Fender makes you can get custom made, made by warmoth, or made by mightymite and put it together for $300-700. So spending $5000 for a strat you like it stupid.

"BUT AN IBANEZ YOU MAKE TO BE LIKE EVO ISN'T THE REAL THING" -hate to break it to you- but this copy of evo isn't the real thing....

And quality wise of a decent lutheir or warmoth+a damn good guitar tech blows away fender custom shop.

I wanted a blue thinline tele... i got the guitar body+neck+bridge+wiring+etc in a guitar for $150...sold the orig neck on it for $60... got a neck i wanted for $100... new dimarzio pickups... $25 set of locking tuners and a $200 install job putting the whole guitar together from a box of parts= a guitar that BLOWS away anything fender has ever made.

Hell... Fenders EVH $25,000 Frankeinstein guitar models a guitar that EVH paid $180 for all the parts...
and you can build your own for less than $1000.
avianoguitarist

If this isn't aimed at anyone here--why create a rant thread here? Some will like it while some won't. It's called freedom of choice.
That said, it's not 10G--that's list price. Rich is selling them for $7777.00
I agree with most, and won't shell out that much bacon for a guitar, especially a reliced one. However, it's much less that the Frankenstein replica.
I'd rather buy a few old Jemsite for that money: BFP, another LNG, PMC, or a PAW.
guitar74
Newcomer

10k? WWOOOOWWW!!! Still, it's less than half what the EVH Frankenstein replica sold for. I actually saw a review of the Frankenstein where the doctor who bought it complained about the pickups not being screwed to the rings and just flopping and sticking to the strings. Then, one sentence later, bragged about mounting it in his office.These are collector's items, as well as being in the price range for people who have money to buy, brag about how much they spent on it, etc. If I had 10k just to drop on something, it would be finishing my project car, I have too many guitars as it is (from having played for 28 yrs., and collecting them one at a time).

If I had my choice, I would go back in time and buy all of the first run Jems my bud had from the mid eighties. His room looked like a rainbow of fruit flavors (albeit in guitar form) with all of those Jems, and the wall full of vintage orange cabinets.
Blake Dunford

I would buy this if i had the cash.

I would play it every day too.
guitar74
Newcomer

While I love the Jem series, I believe I would buy The $2400.00 version, and if it ends up battle scarred (which I go to great lengths to keep from happening with all of my axes), it has scars from MY experiences. Love Steve, love his signature line, but not enough to drop that kind of coin on a beaten up guitar that's reliced to copy the one that has touring scars.
anuj

It's worth pointing out that the Evo doesn't start life out as an regular 7vWH.
paulh123

if not a jem7v then what was it?
anuj

It's built by Sugi - they're a small craft builder, not the Fugijen factory. They're also built to be this way, as opposed to "broken" like the real Evo. A bit more about it: http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/jemevo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
guitar74
Newcomer

I think where and who it's made by is splitting hairs. The fact remains, just as it was pointed out earlier, that this and many other guitars such as Frankenstein (which was built from spare parts), is just a copy of a guitar that has had the hell beat out of it from being used on the road. If I want something cutom made I will go the Warmoth route, and have exactly what I NEED/WANT. If someone has enough spare dough to buy it, then more power to them.

All things being said, I will drop MY dough on the guitar of my dreams, which isn't a copy of ANYONE'S axe. I'm thinking of calling it the "Buck Wilde Signature".
anuj

Well, that's like saying pointing out the difference between who builds a Tom Anderson strat v. a Fender strat is just splitting hairs. :)