It's official, Steve's now on the fractal audio artist list!

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Andrew J Dampier

I was waiting for this to happen, (Vai getting an Axe-FX, not the debate that has come of it...).

There's so much you can do with the Axe, it'll be hard to tell what he's going to do with it. Vai was digesting gear manuals back in the day while other guys were getting their rigs set up by Mr. Bradshaw and leaving the dirty work to him. He understands pretty much everything he needs to in order to get exactly what he wants out of any particular unit. If not, he has the drive to do so....(speculation based on the past 20 years of reading every interview/listening to every bit of music I could)....

Do I think Vai would ditch the Legacy's? Absolutely not. He's spent the past 10+ years with that amp and it really is the key to the Vai tone. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he were doing a fly date, like an Alien Guitar seminar overseas and instead of dealing with the logistics of getting a Legacy to the venue, he could simply use an Axe-FX as a carry-on with maybe a power amp and a couple guitars.

Ultimately, this was the nail in the coffin for me to get an Axe-FX. I've been debating it since I first heard about them years ago on another forum. I don't buy everything Vai uses, (just the guitars these days), but this is a bit different because of it's uses.

As for Vai's up-coming Axe-FX rig........Axe-FX with the 4-cable method, prolly a Ground Control Pro, a JEMINI, Bad Horsie and Little Alligator, 2 Legacy heads (one slaved), 2 Legacy 4x12's. (Speculating, of course...based off no inside info...)

This could be a good time for him and Carvin to get in on some kind of Legacy-based tube power amp....same power section from a Legacy, but without the pre-amp. Gettin' two birds stoned at once, keeping the Legacy line alive while incorporating it with the ever-changing gear world.

I just can't wait to HEAR what he does with it more than anything else.
Brick_top
Newcomer

Andrew J Dampier wrote:I was waiting for this to happen, (Vai getting an Axe-FX, not the debate that has come of it...).

There's so much you can do with the Axe, it'll be hard to tell what he's going to do with it. Vai was digesting gear manuals back in the day while other guys were getting their rigs set up by Mr. Bradshaw and leaving the dirty work to him. He understands pretty much everything he needs to in order to get exactly what he wants out of any particular unit. If not, he has the drive to do so....(speculation based on the past 20 years of reading every interview/listening to every bit of music I could)....

Do I think Vai would ditch the Legacy's? Absolutely not. He's spent the past 10+ years with that amp and it really is the key to the Vai tone. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he were doing a fly date, like an Alien Guitar seminar overseas and instead of dealing with the logistics of getting a Legacy to the venue, he could simply use an Axe-FX as a carry-on with maybe a power amp and a couple guitars.

Ultimately, this was the nail in the coffin for me to get an Axe-FX. I've been debating it since I first heard about them years ago on another forum. I don't buy everything Vai uses, (just the guitars these days), but this is a bit different because of it's uses.

As for Vai's up-coming Axe-FX rig........Axe-FX with the 4-cable method, prolly a Ground Control Pro, a JEMINI, Bad Horsie and Little Alligator, 2 Legacy heads (one slaved), 2 Legacy 4x12's. (Speculating, of course...based off no inside info...)

This could be a good time for him and Carvin to get in on some kind of Legacy-based tube power amp....same power section from a Legacy, but without the pre-amp. Gettin' two birds stoned at once, keeping the Legacy line alive while incorporating it with the ever-changing gear world.

I just can't wait to HEAR what he does with it more than anything else.
That would probably be a very reasonable future.

I haven't even thought about that seminar issue. Maybe if there is to appear a Legacy simulation on next axe-fx firmware releases we could get a good hint.
Spoons
Newcomer

No matter what anyone's opinion is of the Axe-Fx, I think that Steve Vai's allowing his photo and a quote about the Axe-Fx to be used on the Fractal Audio site says something really good about the product. Steve doesn't seem to "blow sunshine" towards things he doesn't think are worthy, and I commend him for that!! All the other modeling devices just took a back seat with this quote, "The flexibility of the Axe-Fx is supreme. I did extensive tone testing and I found it to be flawless."

Will Steve use the Axe-Fx on the road, only time will tell. I'm sure he is going to have to experiment with it in the studio a LOT before that would ever happen. I gonna guess the Axe-Fx will be a studio box for a while before it makes a Vai stage debut. Completely replace the Legacy's and the Fender amp - I would seriously doubt it!

:)
cosmic ape

From Steve's Facebook page:
My new amp rig... I'm running the send out of the back of my Carvin Legacy II into the Axe-FX and then back out of that return[ing two] two Carvin Legacy heads. Amazing Flexibility. It's a powerful combination.
...maybe he meant out of that return into two Carvin Legacy heads??? IDK, it 3:30 in the morning and I should be in bed... Anyway, I guess you guys can keep your Legacy amps after all! :wink:
Andrew J Dampier

Could be a W/D/W set up if he's running that first head into a cabinet as well. That would essentially be using the 2 other Legacy heads as slaves.....