It's official, Steve's now on the fractal audio artist list!

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
spacebard

Steve Vai

Solo & Collaborative Artist

“The flexibility of the Axe-Fx is supreme. I did extensive tone testing with it and found it to be flawless. It's all I need now. It makes me feel like every day is Christmas. It's exceptional and I'm grateful..”

http://www.fractalaudio.com/artist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He said the Axe-Fx is all he needs now, will he ditch the G-system for the Axe Fx?
Last edited by spacebard on Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarDojo
Newcomer

:headbang

I cant wait to see what he does with it!!!
Patill

spacebard wrote: He said the Axe-Fx is all he needs now
what else do you think he should say^^????? Did you expect him to say it´s good but he´s gonna keep the G-System (which I think he will) because it is a lot more handy than having to program a rack unit to a midi controller?

Don´t take any endorsement quote too seriously.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Patill wrote:
what else do you think he should say^^????? Did you expect him to say it´s good but he´s gonna keep the G-System (which I think he will) because it is a lot more handy than having to program a rack unit to a midi controller?

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

Mikey
vai.com
spacebard

Patill wrote:

I have an Axe-Fx ultra and and programming a midi controller with that unit is not that complicated. Steve doesn't use 2 monster rack effects anymore but only one or 2 effects processors and some pedals, and I really don't think programming is trouble for Steve.
Patill

Mikey wrote: As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

Mikey
vai.com
I´m not offending Steve for writing overwhelming stuff about every single piece of his endorsement things.

It is no science to forecast that only good things will be said if you get on an endorsement list (is it? would you pay me for it?). So taking them too serious and thinking Steve will ditch all of his stuff now would be wrong.
Last edited by Patill on Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Brown

^
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Patill wrote:
Mikey wrote: As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

Mikey
vai.com

yes, Mikey, keep the people naive, as usual ;). I´m not offending Steve for writing overwhelming stuff about every single piece of his endorsement things, but I offend people who say I have no idea of what I´m talking about just trying to keep the story too real for everyone.

It is no science to forecast that only good things will be said if you get on an endorsement list (is it? would you pay me for it?). So taking them too serious and thinking Steve will ditch all of his stuff now would be wrong.

So Mikey, call me silly again without any little piece of an argument and close the thread as last time if you want to. I didn´t read anything that concerns the topics whenever you´re challenging me, everything goes just against my person. I don´t want to fight with you unless you start to come up with some information that confirms your causes for alarm.
First of all, what kind of inside knowledge do you have that puts you in a position to report accurately on any situation such as this? How can you argue that your pure speculation (based on nothing except something you just pulled out of your ass) is somehow true?

I would have no issue with you simply speculating, but that's not what you're doing. You are suggesting somehow that there's a different story than what is actually true, and then, when I correct you, you continue to push your story and accuse me of trying to create some kind of smokescreen and keep people "naive". In fact, my entire role on this message board, for many years before you even showed up, was to be a source of correct information. I have no interest in spreading rumors and incorrect information, and nothing to gain by doing so.

So don't suggest you're somehow "keeping it real" when all you're doing is imagining a scenario without any actual insight to back it up. You have no inside knowledge about anything to do with Steve or his endorsements. You have no idea what Steve is even using in his rig right now. In fact, based on your post, it's clear that you don't actually know how endorsements even work.

Steve uses the products he endorses - so if he's really impressed, he'll say something about a product he uses to indicate that. Of course he'll say good things recommending a product he likes. Otherwise why would he even use it? To get on an endorsement list? No - that's not how it works, and Steve wouldn't promote something he didn't like.

Steve is invited to check different pieces of gear out ALL THE TIME. Given that Steve only endorses a handful of products means that he's not inclined to use everything that's put under his nose.

How do I know all this? Because I've worked with Steve for the past 7 years, and we are friends and talk about this stuff. I'm at the house and the studio regularly, and I keep up on the gear he's using. Whereas you on the other hand, are not in that position.

Mikey
vai.com
Patill

Mikey wrote: Steve uses the products he endorses - so if he's really impressed, he'll say something about a product he uses to indicate that. Of course he'll say good things recommending a product he likes. Otherwise why would he even use it? To get on an endorsement list? No - that's not how it works, and Steve wouldn't promote something he didn't like.
I agree with you completely. That´s why I never said Steve only said it is good to get on this list. Of course he uses it. I´m not the one who has been speculating, someone else asked if he´s gonna ditch his G-System for it. That´s when I said that it is of course a fact that Steve will write good stuff about things he endorses, but which will not mean he´s gonna ditch something else for it.

Nothig wrong with that, is it?
Mikey wrote: You are suggesting somehow that there's a different story than what is actually true
No, the only thing I said is, that endorsing things does not mean he´s gonna stop using everything else.
spacebard

Patill wrote: No, the only thing I said is, that endorsing things does not mean he´s gonna stop using everything else.
No but the Axe-Fx is far more superior to the G-system, so why keep the G-system in his rig? Will we see the Axe in his rig anytime soon or is he bound to a endorsement contract and he can't ditch the G-sytem yet?
Patill

I think he´s gonna keep the G-System because you can step on it without hitting all knobs at once :lol:. I remember I read he uses the G-System because it´s a handy simple form of a G-Force Rack unit which is already put into a floorboard with all the knobs you need and that he likes to keep things simple as that.

What I could imagine of is, that he controls the Axe-Fx with the G-System´s midi.
Stephen Brown

Company relationships are company relationships but it's more than that, it's about people. Most people wish to get on with each other. So if product A is being used & then product B comes in, the relationship with product A doesn't de-grade. That is because of the mutual respect between both parties & in the event of any future dealings. In most cases products from an existing lines are still being used so to say...."This product is being used & the other product is obsolete." isn't realistic. It's just that the capacity/role has changed, Patill.
Patill

you realize I said exactly what you are trying to explain to me ;)?

I never said Steve would dump the G-System because of a new endorsement, I said I think he won´t. Spacebard asked the question if he´s gonna ditch it, not me :).
Ugur Dariveren

After seeing Steve and Dweezil using Axe-Fx I would love to try one so bad. :)
Samuele

All this makes me think of something Steve said in a relatively recent interview:
Did you use any new guitar gear on the DVD?

No. My guitar set up is usually good for four or five years, then I switch it up. With that setup I was using my Ibanez JEM, which is pretty standard. It’s like twenty-two years old now. I have a very simple set up. Coming out of my guitar I go into a Bad Horsie Wah or a Crybaby, then into the Ibanez Jemini distortion pedal that I designed. Then it goes in the front of my Carvin Legacy II, which has three channels. Out of the Send, I come out of the main head and I go into a volume pedal. Out of the volume pedal I go into a DigiTech Whammy pedal.

For the DVD, I was going through a TC Electronic G-System, then stereo out of that and returning to the two Legacy heads... I’m rebuilding my system right now. The G-System was very faithful to me for years. Now I’m going into a looping system again. The looping system is really the only way to create pure hard bypasses with the sound and keep it real discrete.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... spx?Page=2