How to reproduce this beautiful sound in Steve Vai video?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
wdkwang
Newcomer

To cut it short, I'm just starting to get into guitars and I'm thinking of getting the Ibanez RG1570 with a Marshall 50 watt. In this Youtube video of Steve Vai demonstrating his signature pedal, he plays this nice melody through a clean passage for a few seconds at 5:15 before using the distortion pedal. From what I understand, he's using chorus and delay but other videos I watch from other people with similar settings sound nothing like his. Is there anyway to go about producing that exact sound of his with, let's say another Ibanez, or do you need his exact guitar in the video? Also, what guitar is that? I know the white one is the JEM7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y
teokiatuan

Carvin Legacy
and evos

Legacy is more important

Teo
MikeB7070

wdkwang wrote: From what I understand, he's using chorus and delay but other videos I watch from other people with similar settings sound nothing like his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBLnB3ze5Y
I think you answered your own question there. Steve's playing, so I wouldn't expect to sound exactly the same, it's in the fingers. Frustrating but true, especially for someone just starting out.

That being said, the equipment you listed will get you close, though a 50 watt Marshall is going to be really loud and may be overkill. A smaller amp will get you close as well. Have fun.
8bigtubes

I know my response may seem overly simplistic but if you really want to emulate a particular tone from a particular guitarist, in this case Vai, then I would get the guitar and amp he uses.

You're still not gonna get his exact tone though. Close but not exact cos' simply put, you don't have his fingers 8)
MikeB7070

I don't think it matters if you get a Jem or not. A basswood or alder body with evolution humbuckers will get you most of the way there.

If you are just starting out learning guitar, I would not suggest spending $2k on a guitar, unless of course you have the cash to blow.

Are you looking for bedroom volume sound or stage volume sound. Big difference, and will dictate the amp, unless you spring for an attenuator as well. :)
Patill

MikeB7070 wrote: I think you answered your own question there. Steve's playing, so I wouldn't expect to sound exactly the same, it's in the fingers.

no it´s not, it´s in the amp, the pickups, the wood, the strings, the rig.

We´re talking about sound here, not melody or phrasing.
MikeB7070

Patill wrote:
MikeB7070 wrote: I think you answered your own question there. Steve's playing, so I wouldn't expect to sound exactly the same, it's in the fingers.

No it's not. An expensive "rig" will get you half way there, the rest us is up to you. Even simple things like fretting a chord and how you pick will have an impact on your tone. That has nothing to do with "phrasing". :D
tom1325

ok, i know im going to seem abit ignorant saying this, but i think people take the "tone is all in the fingers" statement a bit too far. yes, the way you play affects the tone, ie how hard you play, how you fret etc, but its not like if someone else plays the same equipment as you its going to sound completely different, the tone will still be the same, but the way that other person plays something will sound a little different.
Patill

MikeB7070 wrote:
Patill wrote:

No it's not. An expensive "rig" will get you half way there, the rest us is up to you. Even simple things like fretting a chord and how you pick will have an impact on your tone. That has nothing to do with "phrasing". :D
this would then be 5% of the overall. Some people will never learn that you can´t fool electricity with your fingers.....tom1325 is completely right.

Some people even come with a satch video with him using a strat and playing surfing with the alien. If somebody can´t hear it´s a strat (with singlecoils and no Hombuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), he has to take serious lessons in hearing and listening. The sound is diffrent, the melody is the same. Some people can´t hear that, but they shouldn´t say their answer is absolute, since it is not. Sound isn´t in the fingers. You can hear it on that video (still, they take this video as their advantage :x)

This "sound is in the fingers" thing starts to annoy. I got a Legacy and I have the same sound as Steve does. Why? Beause it´s the same damn unit. Do I play the same thing he does? No! And that makes you say the sound is diffrent? Every child with a little experience could say it´s the same sound coming out of the same gear, same amp, same speakers.
DigitalSkull
Newcomer

wdkwang

I think you need a seven string to reproduce the sound at 5:15 in the video. Steve is playing his multi color 7 string there that was burn't to resemble Zappa's strat he got from Hendrix.

He hits the low b string several times in that. I am guessing this is what you hear. Though you can get a similar sound detuning a 6 string.

Good luck.