Vai's choice of tubes.

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

A couple of other posts in this forum have asked the question of what valves Steve Vai uses in his personal Legacy amps,i hope this helps. I own a Legacy head that was used by Steve down here in oz,and in it were the following tubes....

VX-1 Sovtek 12AX7LPS
VX-2 Groove Tube 12AX7R
VX-3 Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH
VX-4 Groove Tube 12AX7C
VX-5 Groove Tube 12AX7C

Power Amp- Groove Tube EL34R's

The head has a few "battle scars" that is expected after being thrown around by the roadies. The dealer informed me that the amp came back to them,after the concert, with these valves in it. The amp has since "died",and I don't know what the service with Carvin products/dealers in other countries is like,but here in oz....simply terrible! I was told by the dealer to sell the amp,whilst it was under warranty! :? When it was working,great amp!!! Now it's a piece of rock history that doesn't work. The concert was great though :guitar :headbang
Last edited by PVAIJEM on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patill

PVAIJEM wrote: The dealer informed me that the amp came back to them,after the concert, with these valves in it.
well, I think this is very questionable. Maybe they broke 2 tubes and just replaced them with random...

It´s hard to believe that Steve changes tubes froms borrowed amps (and leaves them in when giving it back), of course it makes a difference in sound, but would he really need it that much? I think on a live show this would not change anything noticable. You have all the mics and the mics going into a mixer with EQ and stuff, so those small tubes should not make a difference, so why should he change them (and leave them there in the end?)?
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

Hey there Patill,I understand where you are coming from,I had the same doubts myself,but the dealer had 2 heads that were used at the concert,and sure enough,they both had the same set up. I replaced the valves with stock Groove Tubes,and there was a slight difference in sound. The Sovtek 12AX7LWS in the VX-1 position makes a difference. I have since been using this tube in the VX-1 position,even in my other amps. My tech was part of the road crew/techs at the concert and confirmed this. If you yourself own a Legacy,try it out. I think you will like the sound,it brings out a real nice tone.
Patill

PVAIJEM wrote:Hey there Patill,I understand where you are coming from,I had the same doubts myself,but the dealer had 2 heads that were used at the concert,and sure enough,they both had the same set up.
well that pushes me back somewhat :mrgreen:.

Any chance to record this difference? Would like to hear it and I have no tubes here^^. Still, I think if he changed it that way this year, next year it may be diffrent again. Always a changing guy.
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

Hey Patill, sorry but the amp is still sitting at my tech's workshop. The dealer has sent a second circuit board,the first was a dud,and we've only just received a third one a couple of days ago-I had to get a bit verbal with the dealer,as the amp is out of warranty,but I made the complaint whilst it was still under warranty.At least they are now sort of helping. And yes,most likely Vai would use different valves now. You will find that most Groove Tubes are just re-labelled Sovteks,but a bit more expensive as they sort through and test all stock they receive.
Last edited by PVAIJEM on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Brown

Patill
^
What pre-amp & power tube valves are in you Leg II? Do you know?

I'm guessing that it's sold as a "This is what S.Vai uses/ The standard"

Doesn't matter to me. I only have a floor effects unit with one 12ax7. :lol:
Stephen Brown

PVAIJEM wrote: VX-1 Sovtek 12AX7LWS
VX-2 Groove Tube 12AX7R
VX-3 Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH
VX-4 Groove Tube 12AX7C
VX-5 Groove Tube 12AX7C

Power Amp- Groove Tube EL34R's
Does/has Steve picked 'em or are they a tech's choice?

Could this of been some random valve collaboration?

I like the sound of that. :lol:
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

Hey there Fretpick,
"A random collaboration of valves" is highly unlikely. As i stated above,both the amps used by Vai had the same set up. Each pre-amp valve in a tube amp is for a separate circuit,thus you can change them to achieve a different sound/tone. The first two valves are the most critical for the gain stage. Same as if you change pups in a guitar,the tonal qualities of the instrument are altered.
Rock on. :guitar
Patill

PVAIJEM wrote:Hey there Fretpick,
"A random collaboration of valves" is highly unlikely. As i stated above,both the amps used by Vai had the same set up.
well, it is possible what Fretpick says. Usually you use a special preamp tube in the V1 position, they are often marked with V1 on the box. Maybe they just bought random V1 and random normal tubes like the V3 is. Maybe the V3 needs to be noiseless/balanced, which woud also be a reason for the changes.

Maybe the Groove Tubes that are stock are not measured and tested to noise production....this could be the reason why they changed them to reduce noise etc..

Fretpick, I don´t have a Legacy II :). But I think it´s Groove Tubes again. I don´t think they put diffrent types of tubes in it.
Last edited by Patill on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Brown

PVAIJEM wrote:Hey there Fretpick,
"A random collaboration of valves" is highly unlikely. As i stated above,both the amps used by Vai had the same set up. Each pre-amp valve in a tube amp is for a separate circuit,thus you can change them to achieve a different sound/tone. The first two valves are the most critical for the gain stage. Same as if you change pups in a guitar,the tonal qualities of the instrument are altered.
Rock on. :guitar
well if both amps had them in then it's prob not a fluke.

Thanks. I find this all very interesting.

Another one for my little black book. :)
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

Sorry people,I had to correct the Sovtek tube model that i wrote for the VX-1 position. It actually was a 12AX7LPS. The Groove Tube 12AX7R's that come standard in the Legacy amps are just re-labelled Sovtek 12AX7WC's. They are now designated as GT12AX7-A. I went past my tech's shop to check on the progress of my amp and saw the mistake I made about the model number of the VX-1 tube. My bad :?
12AX7LPS; Long Plate-Spiral Filament
jonnyboy mills

I answered the same type of post years ago. I owned one of steves G3 uk tour amps and surprise surprise my answer was the same. I bet in another year or so some bright spark will start the same subject again.
pagliai

PVAIJEM i wanna know a simple thing:
In the powertubes GTel34-R there is a little number on the tube,it gives you the tube distortion,it is in the left of the tube on the plastic,it goes from 1 to 10 ,can you tell us how much is this number so the info 'll be complete?

thanks in advance and yes the LPS 's got a totally different tone and yes i seem a good tube setup ,i don't seem strange.....
LPS is used in the phase inverter stage too.....so in the vx5 .......the first 12ax7 tube on the right it is a great inverter tube ,are u sure it is not there instead first tube on the left?

sorry for this question,just an info for everyone here.

I wanna let you a couple of links where there are some explanations about tubes etc etc,maybe ....it works.
http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/12ax7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://thetubestore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PVAIJEM
Newcomer

Greetings Pagliai,
The rating of the power tubes is 3. I have since replaced the GTEL34-R's with GTEL34-M's.
As for the Sovtek 12AX7LPS,it was in the VX-1 position. I never thought of putting one in the phase inverter stage,thanks for the tip,I'll try it out.
I A/B the LPS with a standard GT12AX7,and found that the Sovtek LPS cleaned up the sound,whereas the GT12AX7 gave a more "fuzzy" tone.
Thanks for the links.
Tanti belli cosi.
Ciao
pagliai

ahahahaahhaha great pvaijem,great!!!

tanti belli così

thank you so really much for the info