Stickered Strat? (New Harmony Hut photo)

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
greg

So, Itake it that that is the "beat up strat" Zappa's engineer was referrig to, talking about Steve's first meeting with Frank.
jem777
Newcomer

does anyone know what kind of modifications he made to it such as the pickups or bridge...etc...
The Animal
Newcomer

I wish Steve would go back to using the 'Green Meanie' again. That had some mean sounds out in it!
Blue_Powder

I think one of the great things about Steves setup now is that he's very consistent from song to song and record to record and you can really listen and hear how he's evolved as a musician and become more farmiliar with the gear and what it's capable of.

The DLR days are a great example. The guitars on each song sound like they're a totally different rig. Musically things are there and Steves talents and ability come through, but the potential to be so much more is also there with it.

Once he started playing Ibanez' you saw things smooth out a bit, you got a better idea of what it seems like he was going for. Once he started playing the Legacy amps it really got to making alot of sense. I'm real excited about seeing the evolution (no pun intended) as a player and musician with this gear.
FinnJ

we all know that the sticker strat was steves first proper guitar
but how come on the ALS dvd commentary he tells a story about going out to buy a proper strat for that album, is the sticker strat a mexican or jap guitar? did steve just wanna get a usa model
what do you guys think?
Ugur Dariveren

I want need a more info this strat :)
What is it pickups?
And i seen some switches. What is it?
Igor

i dont think they made mexican or japanese fenders in the 70's, which is when steve got the sticker strat.

and i too would like to see the green meanie get back into action :D
RAR!

FinnJ wrote:we all know that the sticker strat was steves first proper guitar
but how come on the ALS dvd commentary he tells a story about going out to buy a proper strat for that album, is the sticker strat a mexican or jap guitar? did steve just wanna get a usa model
what do you guys think?
I dont know about the ALS commentary.

His strat is a 70's strat. That means its an American made strat. They didn't have all the different outsourced strat hierarchy nonsense then. . . If you had a Fender strat, you had a FENDER AMERICAN STRAT, and theyre was no question about it. :)

His strat was a "proper strat" at one time. But, he's hacked at it, covered it in stickers, put a DiMarzio X2N and a Floyd Rose on it, which has dramatically altered the sound to a more versatle instrument, but. . takes away the stratish sounds.

If he said he wanted a "proper strat" for the ALS commentary, he was probably referring to an un-modded one. ;)
Ugur Dariveren

RAR! wrote:
what do you guys think?
I dont know about the ALS commentary.

His strat is a 70's strat. That means its an American made strat. They didn't have all the different outsourced strat hierarchy nonsense then. . . If you had a Fender strat, you had a FENDER AMERICAN STRAT, and theyre was no question about it. :)

His strat was a "proper strat" at one time. But, he's hacked at it, covered it in stickers, put a DiMarzio X2N and a Floyd Rose on it, which has dramatically altered the sound to a more versatle instrument, but. . takes away the stratish sounds.

If he said he wanted a "proper strat" for the ALS commentary, he was probably referring to an un-modded one. ;)
Hey RAR!
Are you sure it bridge pickup is X2N? It looks like X2N but i'm not sure.
Anyone know is about Switches? And middle and neck pickup? (I need Mikey's helps :P)
Splish

Leading on from what werehere said... Are those switches for a sustainer? I noticed it's had it's input jacck moved slightly... Anyone/Mikey ?

Splish
Samuele

what do you guys think?
I'm pretty sure Steve said in an interview back in '95 that he had a specific, "stratty" sound in his mind that he wanted to achieve for the song "The Boy From Seattle". He therefore tried out various models, like vintage 50s strats, but nothing excited him, until he came across this cheap japanese strat "that sounded the best". :)
Lucky

Mikey wrote:To quote Steve:

"I'd burn EVO before I got rid of this guitar."

- Mikey ;)
Must be one hell of a strat. :shock:
slash89

Lucky wrote:
Mikey wrote:To quote Steve:

- Mikey ;)
Must be one hell of a strat. :shock:
It's not just because it's a great guitar, but because he obviously loves it very deeply.
Stringking
Newcomer

Mikey wrote:
To quote Steve:

Mikey,

Can you post a link to anywhere where Steve made that quote?
TomSawyer
Newcomer

sorry for the uber-bump, but ive researched a bit about the guitar, and found out that it has a Hs-3 in the neck, the stock middle pickup and definatly a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge, the reason i know that is on the ' Alcatrazz Live' video, you can see the metal sheild on it, which Bill puts on all his humbuckers.

also, i was randomly scanning the net, and found out what the weird jack input is.

Its a device by 'Alembic', most probably the strat-o-blaster

just thought a couple of you would find it interesting 8)