A New Jem????

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
LinFilouX

Re: A New Jem????

#31 Post by LinFilouX » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 am

Sure it is surprising if Steve Releases a Hard tail version of the JEM, considering the floating and blocking bridge and the deep route of the JEM hare one of their trademarks has well has Steve's wammy bar work.

But we have to admit that hard tail guitars have some advantages that a Floating bridge guitar hasn't :

- Ease of tuning change ( Drop-D and various open tunings )
- Stability in case strings breaking
- Improved sustain
- Reaction to string bending ( String independence )

If we look in Steve's guitar gallery ( at least the one of vai.com ) We can see there have been a JEM hard tail prototype since quite a long time.

Paul Gilbert made this choice to switch to hard tail after being a user of both Kahler ( Racer-X days ) And Ibanez Edge ( Early Mr BIG ).

Patill

#32 Post by Patill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:00 am

you can also see the advantages, that you don´t really have to tune a FR guitar that often and that it stays in tune for some days. My old ESP KH stayed in tune for a month (strings don´t hold longer :D), it was at all a PERFECT Floyd Rose, with NO detuning, no matter what you did with the Trem. The only guitar I´ve seen so far, that could do that ;). Also I think the gain of sustain is not really significant.

And what do you mean with Stability in case?

RAI

#33 Post by RAI » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:06 am

Patill wrote:
And what do you mean with Stability in case?

Tuning stability when other strings break...

Patill

#34 Post by Patill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 am

ah ok :lol: , I thought he meant the guitarcase
Last edited by Patill on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

resha

#35 Post by resha » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am

The real question is about the wood I think.

If it'll a hardtail, no problems at all... but which wood(s) will Ibanez use?

This would dramatically change the tonal response of the guitar :wink:

7mixeduplydian7

#36 Post by 7mixeduplydian7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:45 pm

It will be interesting to see a hard tail version of this guitar though I like many others here don't see an advantage for the consumer. Let's face it the typical Jem owner is a dive bombing whang bar fiend and the hard tail will need to offer something a little more than tuning stability to make it a viable model for Ibanez sales... That said though my first real guitar... you know what I mean the one after the sears models and garage sale frankensteins.. was a hardtail strat that I lost in a pawn shop years and years ago... guitar food guitar food lol... I loved that guitar for the massive tone it put out. Hopefully they will select a few good tonewoods to take full advantage of the one thing most Jems have been lacking hich is tonal character. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic guitars and I cherish mine but they are not exactly tone monsters

Patill

#37 Post by Patill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 pm

7mixeduplydian7 wrote:Don't get me wrong they are fantastic guitars and I cherish mine but they are not exactly tone monsters
well, I think that´s because they´re Ibanez :lol:. I never really had a guitar of them in my hands, that I can call a sound monster.

By the way, Ibanez also invented some new tuning technology for Floyd Rose guitars, something like the backstop I think. What, if the T--- stands for Tune ;)?? Is there a H--- word that fits?

scottinomaha

#38 Post by scottinomaha » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Patill wrote:
7mixeduplydian7 wrote:Don't get me wrong they are fantastic guitars and I cherish mine but they are not exactly tone monsters
well, I think that´s because they´re Ibanez :lol:. I never really had a guitar of them in my hands, that I can call a sound monster.

By the way, Ibanez also invented some new tuning technology for Floyd Rose guitars, something like the backstop I think. What, if the T--- stands for Tune ;)?? Is there a H--- word that fits?
I have had a few Jems in my day and tone was ok, my latest Jem (2001 Whitey) just rings and oozes tone. I don't know if I got lucky with some really resonant alder or what but all my guitar friends love the tone and always want to use it in the studio. I think the reason Vai stayed with EVO so long is it is a magical piece of wood.

nato101010

#39 Post by nato101010 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:43 am

RickAllan, what Guitar World is that from? I think I've seen it before....

RickAllen

#40 Post by RickAllen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:12 am

nato101010 wrote:RickAllan, what Guitar World is that from? I think I've seen it before....
Hey there,

It was the September 2008 issue with Jimi Hendrix on the cover. Page 28. Thanks.

-Rick :guitar

nato101010

#41 Post by nato101010 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:15 am

Found it! I have the mag. beside me :P

RickAllen

#42 Post by RickAllen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:19 am

Cool. You can hear me play here:

http://www.myspace.com/attemptedmusician" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to derail this thread.

-Rick

tom1325

#43 Post by tom1325 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 pm

i personally wouldnt buy a hardtail jem, mainly because, because my hands are so corrosive to the strings,
they get really rusty, and with a guitar witha tremolo, as soon as the string breaks, i can simply use the string again
whereas with a hardtail, it means buying a new string

Desert_Runner

#44 Post by Desert_Runner » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Sorry, I really don't get that. On a guitar with a locking tremolo, if you break a string, the whole guitar goes out of tune, whereas on a hard tail it stays in tune. Also, to be honest, you should keep a spare set of strings with you anyway, and its a lot quicker to restring a hardtail than a locking trem.
tom1325 wrote:and with a guitar witha tremolo, as soon as the string breaks, i can simply use the string again
???

djhollowman

#45 Post by djhollowman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Desert_Runner wrote:Sorry, I really don't get that. On a guitar with a locking tremolo, if you break a string, the whole guitar goes out of tune, whereas on a hard tail it stays in tune. Also, to be honest, you should keep a spare set of strings with you anyway, and its a lot quicker to restring a hardtail than a locking trem.
tom1325 wrote:and with a guitar witha tremolo, as soon as the string breaks, i can simply use the string again
???
If the string breaks at the trem you can unlock the nut, take a wind or so back out of the string, and reclamp it in the saddle. I've seen me doing that in an emergency, like if I have no spare strings (which is pretty unusual I admit, but it has happened!)

DJ