A New Jem????

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

korbyman wrote:Steve has already has a use for a hard tail for years with songs like Sisters, Boy From Seattle, etc... so surely he would use one, and would likely write something new inspired by the new Jem, but for stuff like that in the past, he used strats. :wink:
Not quite correct. Steve has used strats from time to time, but has also used Jem hardtails, he also also used Jems with blocked trems. He has also used a 7 string hardtail, and owns one, and has used a 7 string with a blocked trem (as he did on "Under It All".)

When on tour, there is limited space for guitars, so Steve only takes what he needs - therefore it's not likely (though not impossible) that you'll see him with a hardtail on the road - because he has to bring two. The same goes for a 7 string. Dave performed most 7-string parts, so Steve hasn't brought any on the road in many years. If Steve moves more toward 7 strings again, and writes pieces that require one to perform the lead parts, then you'll see him tour with them.

And again, just because YOU haven't seen him playing a certain guitar, doesn't mean he doesn't, or hasn't recorded with it.

Mikey
vai.com
korbyman
Newcomer

RAI wrote:Of course I have heard (I don't need to be brought up to speed), that the next JEM might be a hard tail.
But it's not out yet, and there's still a few months before it will even be announced. Steve has been seen with hard tail versions, but when was the last time? When was the last time he was seen playing a Strat?

Steve has hard tail JEMs as well as Strats, and uses whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
If you don't think he actually uses one, and don't want one, then don't buy it.

Easy, eh?

:guitar
Well, you needing to be brought up to speed is just my opinion, and again I'll bring you up to speed since Steve basically announced it on his news page that there is a new Jem coming out and ALMOST spelled out the fact its a hard tail. Good enough for me. Yes, Steve has owned at least 3 hard tail Jems for years (one only needs to look in the guitar section of this website to see the pics of them) but I've never seen or heard him play one. It just seems the next Jem would reflect something he's already been using that hasn't yet been available (like sustainer, etc...), or something he will use a lot in the future. I havent seen him with a strat since the Zappa days, but he has said on several occasions where he has used a strat in the studio for certain songs/parts over the years, so thats how i know he uses strats - cuz the man says so. My whole point is that there are way cooler things to explore in producing a new Jem. Its like throwing a V6 into a Ferrari and selling it for likely close to the same price. lol And hey, if the new Jem is in fact NOT a hard tail - I will be eternally grateful for being wrong. I would think this was much cooler if there was more than the same white Jem available. (What happened to the good ol days where they were available in several different color schemes at least so everyone wouldnt have be walking around with the same white guitar?) lol

Thank you for telling me not to buy one if I dont want one. Solves that mystery for me... as if that was quite a dilemma to sort out. lol

Cheers and peace brothers, its just a whammy bar! :guitar
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Well, it's good to know we have "Mr. 5 Posts" to bring us all "up to speed"... :roll:

Mikey
vai.com
korbyman
Newcomer

Mikey wrote:Well, it's good to know we have "Mr. 5 Posts" to bring us all "up to speed"... :roll:

Mikey
vai.com
Hey anytime Mike, but I think you mean "Mr. 6 Posts" (woohoo I'm that much closer to being a REAL forum member!) - but surely not everyone needed to be brought up to speed. Give yourselves some credit. Ha ha ha totally kidding! But hey if people wanna ask silly questions, I'm bored enough at the moment to entertain them.

Peace and love and good whammy bar stuff! :?:
Samuele

korbyman wrote:I've never seen him playing a Jem hard tail, nor has he mentioned playing one on an album - only strats for that type of stuff.

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar021.html
korbyman
Newcomer

Hey congrats! You found one of the hard tails I already mentioned was in the guitars (the machines) section of the website! ha ha ha... oh look! He played one live once! Lets see... hmm dreadlocks, musta been around 1993? Wow. Thanks for proving my point - why a hard tail now at this point when he's done way cooler things with them? (how about the trem-setter system? sustainer? or at least some interesting non-white options?) But I digress...

Patill

Mikey knows, what he´s talking about, he is on tours with Steve, shoots photos while recording etc.

You never know, what Steve is recording with, or if he maybe even needs this Hard Tail JEM in the future. Maybe he is going to play it on tour in certain pieces he is going to write, maybe he´s going to use a Piezo effect, that may be included in the bridge.

And maybe it´s not a Hard Tail anyway......
GYiakoumi

Mikey probably knows more about Steve's gear than Steve himself does... (Yes I've been listening to the commentary track on the Visual Sound Theories DVD)
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

korbyman wrote:Hey congrats! You found one of the hard tails I already mentioned was in the guitars (the machines) section of the website! ha ha ha... oh look! He played one live once! Lets see... hmm dreadlocks, musta been around 1993? Wow. Thanks for proving my point - why a hard tail now at this point when he's done way cooler things with them? (how about the trem-setter system? sustainer? or at least some interesting non-white options?) But I digress...

Kindly lose the attitude - it's not welcome here.

J
korbyman
Newcomer

Jeroen wrote:
korbyman wrote:Hey congrats! You found one of the hard tails I already mentioned was in the guitars (the machines) section of the website! ha ha ha... oh look! He played one live once! Lets see... hmm dreadlocks, musta been around 1993? Wow. Thanks for proving my point - why a hard tail now at this point when he's done way cooler things with them? (how about the trem-setter system? sustainer? or at least some interesting non-white options?) But I digress...

Kindly lose the attitude - it's not welcome here.

J
But without 'Attitude', its just "The Song" - what fun would that be?? Haha jk - No worries J, I can take the superpowers down a notch for the mere mortals...

Peace and love and good whammy bar stuff! :mrgreen:
Danny777
Newcomer

Well im going to go with what alot of people say and expect a hard tail, my initial guess started going along the tangent of a "half twin", like that half acoustic / electric twin neck.

Just curious if it is a hard tail, what people would expect the pricing range to be. Maybe high end stuff or would it slot in abouve the JEM 555 series guitars. If so, I would seriously consider upgrading from my 555. Im not one to use the whammy bar that often so the hard tail would appeal tremendously to me.
guitarmattms

Hi, Mikey.

I'm not good with word games.. especially around 1am. :oops: But I would deft. be interested in trying this out. At least it won't be such a pain when you detune the guitar. It would really be cool though if it had a TT. It'll prob be relased next summer wouldn't it?

:headbang

ooo and how about a crystal ball style finish? lol jk.
EyE

Haven't been much online these last few weeks and when I logged in you get an update on upcoming new things. As always when time is there we get the news right here on Vai.com. No need for endless threads on why it's taking so long. Oh well, back to topic.
Exciting news about a new Jem!! Can waite for it to come. :)
Mytonezucs
Newcomer

I know nothing can be done but it would sure be nice if the winter namm show would happen like before Christmas. Why put products on the market after everyone's spent their cash?
calos

I'm very confident Mickey knows what he's talking about when it comes to what he does for a living wich is being TALL and working for Steve, and Steve being so exacting would expect nothing less from anyone he "hires".
Steve has already dropped a MASSIVE hint.
Mikey is in the "know"
Seriousley what more do you need ?

Hardtail Jem why not ? Joe experimented with a few over the years too I seem to remember a pic of a very young Steve playing a Gibson semi somewhere on the forums once.

Peace
Cal