A New Jem????

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
musicslave
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:06 am
Location: Tejas

A New Jem????

#1 Post by musicslave » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:54 pm

If that new Jem would be a hard tail that would be great!! I hope it is. Peace

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#2 Post by Mikey » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 pm

guitarmattms wrote:I doubt Vai would release a hardtail jem. :D But I wouldn't be surprise. Satch did the same thing. However, I'm hoping it's a Jem with a sustainer and TT neck or just a TT neck. That would be great!!! Hey Mikey. How about some info!? :P
The info is already available on the Vai.com News page.

Mikey
vai.com

guitarmattms
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:59 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: A New Jem????

#3 Post by guitarmattms » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:52 pm

I doubt Vai would release a hardtail jem. :D But I wouldn't be surprise. Satch did the same thing. However, I'm hoping it's a Jem with a sustainer and TT neck or just a TT neck. That would be great!!! Hey Mikey. How about some info!? :P

teokiatuan
Member
Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Singapore

Re: A New Jem????

#4 Post by teokiatuan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:45 pm

ohh my.. the words hard tail make me get a reverse boner... :( :cry: :(

User avatar
Ekim
Member
Member
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

Re: A New Jem????

#5 Post by Ekim » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:55 pm

I love the idea. It's long overdue. I just hope it's really out there in terms of style & colour.

RickAllen
Member
Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:11 am
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick Canada
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#6 Post by RickAllen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 am

I think it's a fantastic idea. Some of us don't use a whammy bar, so it would be nice to have the option. I realize I can block it off, but if I don't have to that would be great.

Here's me in Guitar World's Defenders of the Faith column. Look at the gear I want most :D :

Image

-Rick

korbyman
Newcomer
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: A New Jem????

#7 Post by korbyman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:33 am

A new Jem hard tail? This isnt a strat and it never will be (which is why Steve uses STRATS when he wants a STRAT sound on record). How about maybe a baritone Jem, or a new Jem that Steve actually uses like a Jem with a sustainer? Or even a Jem that is a different color/paint scheme than WHITE? Its cool, but after 15 yrs, lets offer something else other than the $5000+ anniversary models that come out occasionally.

Here is an EVEN BETTER idea... are you ready...? Forget a new Jem. How about if you're going to release a guitar that Steve doesn't play anyways (like a hard tail Jem), why not release a NEW UNIVERSE!!! Brilliant isn't it?? Nothing but the same black Universe has been offered in what, 10 years or more? How about a baritone Universe like the DNA Swirl Steve added to his collection not too long ago (that we'll probably never see or here him play, but hey it LOOKS like it would sound badass.)

Ok, I'm done whining. I'm sure the new Jem will still be cool and all. Just had to vent. lol Steve still rules! Now how about that new Legacy amp? I'm guessing additional channels?? That would be cool.

Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am
Location: right in front of my screen...

Re: A New Jem????

#8 Post by Patill » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 pm

I have to find this picture...as far as I remember, it was Steve with a hard tail JEM sitting in front of a Legacy combo....

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#9 Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:47 pm

korbyman wrote: if you're going to release a guitar that Steve doesn't play anyways (like a hard tail Jem)
Just because YOU haven't seen Steve playing one doesn't mean he doesn't play them.

Mikey
vai.com

korbyman
Newcomer
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: A New Jem????

#10 Post by korbyman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Mikey wrote:
korbyman wrote: if you're going to release a guitar that Steve doesn't play anyways (like a hard tail Jem)
Just because YOU haven't seen Steve playing one doesn't mean he doesn't play them.

Mikey
vai.com
Hmm, no actually I'm quite sure it does mean that. I'm no Steve/Jem hater - he's my fav guitarist and Jem/Universes are my fav guitars (I have 3 Jem/Universes) so dont get me wrong. But I do call em like I see em. I own all of his CDs, and DVDs, seen him live on almost every tour, and I've never seen him playing a Jem hard tail, nor has he mentioned playing one on an album - only strats for that type of stuff. Surely by now he has at least a few Jem hard tails and surely there are pics that exist of him with one, but I'm willing to bet that those arent live pics or studio pics of him playing it, just a pic of him posing with it to sell it. Perhaps he played one once that was a one off or a prototype, but even then I doubt it. But surely since they are being marketed now, he will be playing one live on 1 song so that it can in fact be said that he does play one. But until then... I'd rather see/hear him do something more interesting with that Baritone Universe he's got.

User avatar
notavirtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Re: A New Jem????

#11 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:09 pm

korbyman wrote:
Mikey wrote:
korbyman wrote: if you're going to release a guitar that Steve doesn't play anyways (like a hard tail Jem)
Just because YOU haven't seen Steve playing one doesn't mean he doesn't play them.

Mikey
vai.com
Hmm, no actually I'm quite sure it does mean that. I'm no Steve/Jem hater - he's my fav guitarist and Jem/Universes are my fav guitars (I have 3 Jem/Universes) so dont get me wrong. But I do call em like I see em. I own all of his CDs, and DVDs, seen him live on almost every tour, and I've never seen him playing a Jem hard tail, nor has he mentioned playing one on an album - only strats for that type of stuff. Surely by now he has at least a few Jem hard tails and surely there are pics that exist of him with one, but I'm willing to bet that those arent live pics or studio pics of him playing it, just a pic of him posing with it to sell it. Perhaps he played one once that was a one off or a prototype, but even then I doubt it. But surely since they are being marketed now, he will be playing one live on 1 song so that it can in fact be said that he does play one. But until then... I'd rather see/hear him do something more interesting with that Baritone Universe he's got.
I'm guessing that what Mikey's getting at is that he has seen Steve playing them.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#12 Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:47 pm

korbyman wrote:
Mikey wrote:
korbyman wrote: if you're going to release a guitar that Steve doesn't play anyways (like a hard tail Jem)
Just because YOU haven't seen Steve playing one doesn't mean he doesn't play them.

Mikey
vai.com
Hmm, no actually I'm quite sure it does mean that. I'm no Steve/Jem hater - he's my fav guitarist and Jem/Universes are my fav guitars (I have 3 Jem/Universes) so dont get me wrong. But I do call em like I see em. I own all of his CDs, and DVDs, seen him live on almost every tour, and I've never seen him playing a Jem hard tail, nor has he mentioned playing one on an album - only strats for that type of stuff. Surely by now he has at least a few Jem hard tails and surely there are pics that exist of him with one, but I'm willing to bet that those arent live pics or studio pics of him playing it, just a pic of him posing with it to sell it. Perhaps he played one once that was a one off or a prototype, but even then I doubt it. But surely since they are being marketed now, he will be playing one live on 1 song so that it can in fact be said that he does play one. But until then... I'd rather see/hear him do something more interesting with that Baritone Universe he's got.
Okay then dude.

Whatever you think.

Mikey :)
vai.com

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#13 Post by RAI » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:35 pm

korbyman wrote:surely there are pics that exist of him with one, but I'm willing to bet that those arent live pics or studio pics of him playing it, just a pic of him posing with it to sell it.
If a hard tail JEM doesn't exist for the consumer to buy, why would Steve pose with one for marketing purposes?
If you know Steve, you would know that he just doesn't push stuff for the sake of selling it, because if that was the case, you would see a ton of Vai merchandise (and Steve staring back at you in excessive advertising) at every GC in sight.

What item that Steve endorses, can you say that he doesn't use?

korbyman
Newcomer
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: A New Jem????

#14 Post by korbyman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:03 pm

RAI wrote:
korbyman wrote:surely there are pics that exist of him with one, but I'm willing to bet that those arent live pics or studio pics of him playing it, just a pic of him posing with it to sell it.
If a hard tail JEM doesn't exist for the consumer to buy, why would Steve pose with one for marketing purposes?
If you know Steve, you would know that he just doesn't push stuff for the sake of selling it, because if that was the case, you would see a ton of Vai merchandise (and Steve staring back at you in excessive advertising) at every GC in sight.

What item that Steve endorses, can you say that he doesn't use?
You misunderstood. I did not say Steve endorses things he doesn't use. Steve is a class act and would never do that or pull a Gene Simmons in any way. But to get you up to speed, the next new Jem is a hard tail apparently, therefore Steve would be having promo shots taken with it, would he not? I never said he endorses anything he doesnt use. Steve has already has a use for a hard tail for years with songs like Sisters, Boy From Seattle, etc... so surely he would use one, and would likely write something new inspired by the new Jem, but for stuff like that in the past, he used strats. :wink:

User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: A New Jem????

#15 Post by RAI » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Of course I have heard (I don't need to be brought up to speed), that the next JEM might be a hard tail.
But it's not out yet, and there's still a few months before it will even be announced. Steve has been seen with hard tail versions, but when was the last time? When was the last time he was seen playing a Strat?

Steve has hard tail JEMs as well as Strats, and uses whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
If you don't think he actually uses one, and don't want one, then don't buy it.

Easy, eh?

:guitar

Post Reply