Flo's Neck

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
SRVoodoo

A while back I was fortunate enough to check out EVO before a show.
Seemed as though she had a Wizard neck... very flat & thin (depth-wise)
I wonder does Flo sport the same type neck? Also is that Wizard neck Steve's usual preference?

I have an RG with a Wizard & a 7v with...whatever an '03 7v comes with & there is a big difference between the two.

Sometimes it's nice to switch between them for certain songs or hand cramping issues. So I ask Do EVO & FLO have different style necks?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

They are standard Jem necks that are shaved down slightly. Now they both have True Temperament frets on them (and new necks).

Mikey
vai.com
SRVoodoo

Thanks Mikey!
DEVIL82

Wheres me plane :twisted:
SRVoodoo

I forgot to ask...
What is shaved down?
Is it the fretboard? The part of the neck where the fretboard attaches to?
or the back of the neck?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The back of the neck.

Mikey
vai.com
SRVoodoo

Thanks Mikey.
as always YOU ROCK!
Patill

Mikey wrote:They are standard Jem necks that are shaved down slightly. Now they both have True Temperament frets on them (and new necks).

Mikey
vai.com
Does that mean Steve gets his JEM necks with 19mm (1st fret) and gets it shaved down to let´s say 18mm after recieving them???
Why does he do that? I mean the necks could be produced like that before. Does that also mean he doesn´t have any finish on the back of the neck? So is it only the pure wood?

Sometimes you get a little confused by artist and their behaviours :lol:
lukevo

True Temperament ... COOOL

PERFECT TUNE AND AMAZING SUSTAIN^^

in the Jemini video, Evo already has True Temperament frets am i right?

cool^^
nato101010

How would you bend a string on a True Temperment neck? Wouldn't it go all weird?
Breeder

why fingers do of a beginner guitarists hurt when tries he to bend string??
hmmm yes...strange indeed, very...the dark force is strong in those...
...because of the tension needed apply to so that string bended pitch change...yes...frets move do not...young padawan ! it is only yourself that moves...yes... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nato101010

Alrighty then
Patill

Breeder wrote:frets move do not
hmm, of course they do! That´s the reason why playing the guitar with diffrent notes is possible...because you shorten the string by pushing behind a fret. and the more a fret moves to the bride when bending a note, the higher the tone will sound.

I only think, that true temperament works with so small nuances, that you are able to hold the pitch anyway when you bend. I, for example, never go for "distance", when bending, I´m listening to the note itself and hold it on pitch :).

Anybody has an answer for my question about the neck???
pagliai

well patill ,i think the reason Steve takes away the wood is the comfortably position of his hand,i think ibanez let 19mm 'cause a jem can be played by everyone so the neck is thin at 19mm,at 18 it is too too thin,anyway when the neck is big you can take away the wood but when it is thin you can't add wood.
About neck paint well ,it is oil finish and i like it so so very much.
SRVoodoo

I think what Breeder was saying (in Yoda Speak) is that
it doesn't matter what "shape" the fretwire is in because it's not your finger that changes the pitch of your notes...
It's where the STRING meets the Fretwire that makes the difference. The Tru-Temperment frets have little or no effect when you are BENDING the string. Their primary purpose is to make every non-bent, fretted note "speak" the correct pitch.