Wiring schematic for Flo

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
n4eanm
Newcomer

I bought a new JEM and a fernandes sustainer anybody know how steve has his wired? pickups used? does the the middle single coil work? the only thing I know for sure is that the neck pickup is just a cover next to the sustainer thanks...
Stephen Brown

Good question.
bazman1uk
Newcomer

Hiya,

I've got a Jem and had my Sustainer fitted this summer. Here's how it
was connected.

The Neck Evolution pickup has to be removed completely and replaced with the Sustainer pickup and, in this case, a blank flat top pickup. As there are effectively 2 "pickups" now sitting next to eachother, you will have to drill 2 holes each side of the existing pickup screw hole for the new ones. The orginal centre screw hole is left open.

The single coil is kept as it is and not touched.

As the bridge Evolution is a DiMarzio, it has to be rotated 180deg round and wired slightly differently. See the Sustainer instructions.

The existing volume and tone controls are removed and replaced with the ones in the kit. Replace the black control knobs that come with the kit with your orignal ones. You will, however, need to buy one matching one to go on the Sustainer control pot.

Its entirely up to you, but the 5 way selector can stay as it's the same as comes in the kit.

The Sustainer control pot needs to be installed just off the scratchplate next to the tone pot.

The Sustainer board goes next to that, after some extensive routing at the back with the 2 control switches poking through the front.

All of the wiring attaches to the Sustainer board.

USAGE
When the Sustainer is OFF, the Sustainer pickup just works as a regular pickup and the 5 way selector works as per before.

When the Sustainer is ON, the 5 way selector is disabled. Changing selection has absolutely no effect to the sound.

NOTE: Unless you are a qualified luthier, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF. If you screw this up you will ruin the guitar and you'll never forgive yourself.

Once installed it is great fun and you will now be able to impress your friends and family with Vai's famous tongue trick.

Enjoy

bazman
n4eanm
Newcomer

thanks for your input. the middle pickup is the one im having trouble with, its simple really, I cant find a clip to go on the circuit board. I was thiking of just soldering it on. what are your thoughts? also do u have any pics of the rear of your instrument Thanks again
ps was looking at the rear of flo there is alot of routing more than needs, do u think he has more mods in his??
bazman1uk
Newcomer

I'll have a word with the guy who fitted my Sustainer and ask him how he dealt with the single coil.

I'll sort out a pic of the back of mine for you, however mine is a lot neater than Flo and I had a custom cover made to exactly fit the routed out area. If you've seen the back of Flo it does look a little rushed.

Regarding extra bits Steve has on Flo, well no. It's just how its been routed. On Mojo however, the mirrored Bad Horsie Jem, Steve has a black Sustainer and LEDs made/installed by Martin Sims of Sims LED in Kent,UK. Here he needs a second battery compartment to power the LEDs and a separate on/off toggle switch next to the Sustainer controls.

baz
aerocol

Hi,

The bridge pickup has to be wired differently?

I'm using a bare knuckles pickup here and my sustainer will not work on the notes on the 24th fret....

could that be because the pickup is not rotated?

Col
n4eanm
Newcomer

bazman1uk wrote:I'll have a word with the guy who fitted my Sustainer and ask him how he dealt with the single coil.

I'll sort out a pic of the back of mine for you, however mine is a lot neater than Flo and I had a custom cover made to exactly fit the routed out area. If you've seen the back of Flo it does look a little rushed.

Regarding extra bits Steve has on Flo, well no. It's just how its been routed. On Mojo however, the mirrored Bad Horsie Jem, Steve has a black Sustainer and LEDs made/installed by Martin Sims of Sims LED in Kent,UK. Here he needs a second battery compartment to power the LEDs and a separate on/off toggle switch next to the Sustainer controls.

baz
Got mine finished works and looks perfect Ill get some shots, do u think steve is using the ibanez five way switch?? I dont see how it could make much of a diff. at the moment im using the bridge pickup that came with the kit sounds good but Im going to put the original in soon its prob better thanks for your input
scottinomaha

I want a Sustainer but use my neck pickup for most of my solos, Is there a way to put the sustainer in the middle pickup?
Symphon

scottinomaha wrote:I want a Sustainer but use my neck pickup for most of my solos, Is there a way to put the sustainer in the middle pickup?
as it is a "humbucking" pickup, i dont think you could fit it in the single coil slot
mhikopeks
Newcomer

I INSTALL A FSK 401 ON MY RG,IF YOU WANT A PICTURE SAMPE ICAN GIVE IT TO YOU :lol:
scottinomaha

lets see it
LinFilouX

When the sustainer is off, the neck pickup becomes the single coil just under the driver coil, right ?

Is this one hum free ( stacked coils ) or is it just a generic single coil ?
Symphon

ive seen on my friends JEM. he has a sustainer fitted but as the one half ot he sustainer is just a cover he has put half an evo with it. not sure how he did that but it works.

i shall try and get some pictures of that
bucketbot

Used to have one on a Fernandes Guitar.
Didn't like it much! :(