Vai about the True-Temperament System and his new Doubleneck

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
EyE

Doesn't Frank Gambale Yamaha's have True Temperament set ups? Can't waite to try one out. Would be cool if all future Jem's have these set ups.
resha

EyE wrote:Doesn't Frank Gambale Yamaha's have True Temperament set ups? Can't waite to try one out. Would be cool if all future Jem's have these set ups.
No I think it only has fret wave. Steve had it on an earlier version of FLO
EyE

oh yeah, Fret Wave is what he has, I forgot. Thanks for the heads up. :wink:
<Mike>

I can't rly explain just how Friggin (!!) excited I am about this new neck. I've started saving money again for a new guitar and my new guitar will defenitly have that neck!

Does anyone know if it's available for purchase yet? And also, does anyone know if it'll be a lot more expensive? It shouldn't affect the price so much, at least I think not.
lastmohican

And what about the day that you must change the frets.....

:roll:
Breeder

<Mike> wrote: Does anyone know if it's available for purchase yet? And also, does anyone know if it'll be a lot more expensive? It shouldn't affect the price so much, at least I think not.
OMG
http://www.truetemperament.com/main.php?go=4&lan=1
you are so lucky...the people that do that are from your country...right in Stockholm...I can`t afford to do it just yet cause trip alone from Croatia to there is too damn expensive
:cry: :cry:
Ekim

But if you get that neck and your band mates don't, then you're going to be out of tune with them. You'll be "more right" but won't it sound bad overall?

Great idea, but I don't see it being widely accepted until more people accept it. (I meant to hurt your brain with that sentence, BTW.)
calos

Ekim wrote:But if you get that neck and your band mates don't, then you're going to be out of tune with them. You'll be "more right" but won't it sound bad overall?

Great idea, but I don't see it being widely accepted until more people accept it. (I meant to hurt your brain with that sentence, BTW.)
I don't one instrument being more in tune would make the others sound worse, except by comparison I guess.
If you think of say a keyboard player in a band, he doesn't make the rest of the band sound out of tune just by his instrument being perfectly in tune.
In fact over all I think it makes the band sound more in tune.

By percentages it would have to, but thinking of tracks with keyboards and guitars together one doesn't make the other sound worse in terms of tuning.

peace
cal
Surtr

Actually, if you tune a piano perfectly by a digital tuner, it will sound out of tune, something because of the intervals... That's why lot's of people like their pianos tuned by the hear of a good professional. So, I don't think that by having all the instruments in tune the band will sound better...
Breeder

Surtr wrote:Actually, if you tune a piano perfectly by a digital tuner, it will sound out of tune, something because of the intervals... That's why lot's of people like their pianos tuned by the hear of a good professional. So, I don't think that by having all the instruments in tune the band will sound better...
we talked about it
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
you have a point...but still,there doesn`t exist an ear that can shape laws of universe and human ears :mrgreen:
calos

Surtr wrote:Actually, if you tune a piano perfectly by a digital tuner, it will sound out of tune, something because of the intervals... That's why lot's of people like their pianos tuned by the hear of a good professional. So, I don't think that by having all the instruments in tune the band will sound better...
True temperment necks are "fine tuned" by ear, in the same way a piano is, but your quite right all the same.

peace
cal
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Has Vai or anyone else for that matter always known that a guitar could never "really" be in tune or has he just recently been convinced that the guitar can never really be in tune? Im just curious because Steve has been a guitar player for over 20+ years now. And he has helped design guitars. If it has been known that the guitar can never be perfectly in tune with itself why has it taken so long to come up with a design like this. And why does a really badly tuned guitar sound terrible but a properly tuned guitar sound pretty good. Im not doubting that true temperment guitar necks may sound better than a traditional non-true-temperment guitar neck but I just find it odd that this information is coming out now in the evolution of the guitar. I mean AC/DC has sold millions of records with the A,D,G chord based songs and no one has ever said, "HMMM, something just doesnt sound quite right". Steve said he is skeptical of these kind of gimmicks and myself have to wonder about it at least somewhat as well. Thats why the initial question I asked I feel to be important. Did the people who make guitars and play guitars known something was wrong already or was it like, "Hey, now that you pointed that out it does sound a little off?".
Breeder

Well most musicians over time start noticing something is "wrong" cause ear wants to hear beatless intervals
Surtr

Musicians and guitar makers always knew this, however, it was accepted as inherited flaw to the instrument... Only a few year back this weird frets started appearing.