Steve's Delay

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
lydian7

I'm curious as to what Steve's source of delay effect is these days. I know he used to run two Roland SDE 3000s in tandem back in the Fire Garden days, does he still use them? Or does his delay effect come from his TC Electronics gear? Does Steve use the same delay effects in the studio as he does live? And does he add them in pre or post production, in other words does he record the guitar dry and then add the delay, or does he record the guitars with a wet signal, delay and all?
Zeds.Ded

i thnik he uses a TC rack mounted delay unit, not sure what its called, but he could have changed for the last tour. i didnt see the latest guitar world issue
resha

G System!
Andrew J Dampier

It's all the G-System now. It was a G-Force before that. I remember on the Ultra Zone tour he had an SDE-3000 in the rack, but it wasn't turned on.

On his G-Force the billboard was streaming "VAI CHORUS AND DELAY" (Or maybe 'delay and chorus', I can't remember), but that was on most of the show back then.
lydian7

Andrew J Dampier wrote:It's all the G-System now. It was a G-Force before that. I remember on the Ultra Zone tour he had an SDE-3000 in the rack, but it wasn't turned on.

On his G-Force the billboard was streaming "VAI CHORUS AND DELAY" (Or maybe 'delay and chorus', I can't remember), but that was on most of the show back then.
Cheers, I had a feeling that was the case. I don't suppose anyone knows if he records his delayed guitar parts dry or wet?
Andrew J Dampier

I'd assume he records dry and then adds his effects through plug-ins or outboard gear. Unless he's got a certain sound going on already and wants to capture that. It's just so much easier when it comes to mixing to have complete control over every aspect of every instrument.

Especially when ya think about how many instruments he has going in many of his songs.
TheRocKsTaR777

His G-system is his source for delay for live performances.I think he probably gets some of his effects mixed in str8 thru the software when theyre mixing his sound.I have a delay on a effects processor and it sounds decent when playing live.But I noticed when I recorded a track the other day,I mic'ed my amp pretty much went straight into the amp using the distorted channel didnt use any effects other than a tube screamer,and then added some effects thru my program (Adobe Audition),and its not even funny how much of a true vai tone I had on that track.I basically added my delay from the software,so it didnt affect my tone they way a pedal normally would.So it sounded very clean.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

lydian7 wrote: Cheers, I had a feeling that was the case. I don't suppose anyone knows if he records his delayed guitar parts dry or wet?
If he needs delay in his recording (or any effect really) he usually records it when performing rather than adding it later, if that is what you mean.

The terms wet/dry is more of a ratio figure, so a 'delayed guitar part' by definition has a wet component.

hth,
J
Stephen Brown

^
Confirmation that it is cool to work like that. :D

Have always worked like that but some book made me feel I was doing things wrong.

I really wasn't getting that re-amping type deal. Dry/add this or that or this or that. Your stuck with what you've recorded & that a bad thing.<What the book said.

That's a boost in confidence, as it's the only way I've done it. :headbang

Thanks J.
TheRocKsTaR777

very good info here! Thanks J!
Andrew J Dampier

Re-amping is slightly different than adding effects to a pre-existing mix.
Re-amping is when ya take a sound, track, recorded piece, whatever it may be and send it back out to an amp and capture that recorded sound.

So say I'm recording a rhythm part, I might open up a couple different tracks, one will have a basic sound I'm using while the other would probably just be a clean guitar sound. After I record it, if I wanted to get a slightly different sound, I could send that clean track out to an amp and mic that amp up.

I've never actually done it, but could definitely see where it could help in the future.

When recording in my last band, my bassist usually split my guitar signal in two, one running to my amp and another running to a PODXT. The POD would allow you to go in and change tones after they were recorded. Again, we never used it, but a cool option that's essentially like re-amping without as much hassle.