Why does Steve use a Distortion Pedal

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Jemfever

#61 Post by Jemfever » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm

joebot wrote:
I have to be honest, the amount of ppl that have gone out and bought a jem and a legacy on here really amuse me, fair cop if you have tried them and you just love them and they work for your sound, but anyone trying to just sound like VAI, ..........can't help but have to say this.........get your own tone?

:roll:

Sorry if that sounded obnoxious, but who cares what satch uses or what VAI uses, unless it works for you, I suspect there are a hell of a lot of ppl that seer VAI with a jem or satch with a JS and just have to go and buy one from that alone.

Again, if that's your thing then OK, personally I want my gear to cater for MY playing and MY sound. I don't care about imitating anyone else!, never have and I never will.
AMEN!! :D

Jimi182

#62 Post by Jimi182 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:25 am

It just depends on why you play guitar.

I know plenty of people who have Brian May Guitars and Vox AC 30's.
They play purely because they love BM and his tone and love seeking out the tone.

I like the idea of having a Jem and Legacy amp. I don't have the money to buy either, but if I did, I would have long time ago.

Its also interesting to discuss who uses what gear and why. Its cool reading how it works for one player and not another.

Jimi182

Jemfever

#63 Post by Jemfever » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 am

First of all it's not about "bashing" people who play Jems through Legacy amps. For shure this is a great combination.
I think the point here is, that a lot of people go out and simply buy equipment without having tried other guitar/amp combinations. They just buy the stuff because their hero plays it and they want to sound like him. It has often been said, that tone is in your fingers and in your head, rather then in your equipment. Which also explains why there are a lot of guys with a "similar" tone to SV who don't use his amp and guitar of choice.
Signature equipment is tailored along the needs of the one that gives away his name. Why should his/ her needs fit my style of playing and music I want to make?
Look for your own "signature sound".

joebot

#64 Post by joebot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 am

Jemfever wrote:First of all it's not about "bashing" people who play Jems through Legacy amps. For shure this is a great combination.
I think the point here is, that a lot of people go out and simply buy equipment without having tried other guitar/amp combinations. They just buy the stuff because their hero plays it and they want to sound like him. It has often been said, that tone is in your fingers and in your head, rather then in your equipment. Which also explains why there are a lot of guys with a "similar" tone to SV who don't use his amp and guitar of choice.
Signature equipment is tailored along the needs of the one that gives away his name. Why should his/ her needs fit my style of playing and music I want to make?
Look for your own "signature sound".
what he said!!!

:lol:

Jimi182

#65 Post by Jimi182 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:12 pm

Last night I played my Wesley Flying V (bought off ebay brand new for £58) through my Vox AD 30VT.

I was getting some tones that were so close to Vai, then adding my own style, then creating my own tone.
It was brilliant!

Jimi182

joebot

#66 Post by joebot » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Jimi182 wrote:Last night I played my Wesley Flying V (bought off ebay brand new for £58) through my Vox AD 30VT.

I was getting some tones that were so close to Vai, then adding my own style, then creating my own tone.
It was brilliant!

Jimi182
surly thats what it is all about?, maybe not, for me it is.

I have never wanted to sound like VAI even though I really love the guys playing and his tone!.

I just play different and would like to be recognised for my own sound!

Jimi182

#67 Post by Jimi182 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:18 pm

I think that is what it is about.

Finding something you like, whether it be a tone close to your favourite guitarists and taking it to the next level. Trying to find new things and make it your own!

And its fun.

Jimi182

vaimeat
Newcomer

Re: Why does Steve use a Distortion Pedal

#68 Post by vaimeat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:55 am

Darth Vader II wrote:I am a little confused about distortion, Vai has such an awesome sound with his valve amps, so why does he use a distortion pedal?

I would have thought a distortion pedal would ruin the sound of a really nice sounding valve amp by giving it a nasty fizzy transistor distortion, I just imagine a really nice valve distortion and I would have thought if you used a distortion pedal it would have turned the sound from a nice warm valve distortion sound to a fizzy transistor distortion from the pedal, but Vai's sound never sounds like a transistor amp at all, it has an amazing distortion. Its hard to explain my question and I probably sound like an idiot and a noob but it has always foxed me why he would even NEED a distortion pedal when he has such an amazing sound from his amp.

And for the record I am not a noob at all lol, I am a grade 8 guitarist and I also teach and have an Ibanez RG550 and a Floral Jem, I just never understood a person with such an amazing tone like Steve to use a BOSS DS-1.

Someone please help me because this question has haunted me for ages and I have never been able to get an answer from anyone.

That question was so incredibly stupid I am going to rip off my dong and throw it against the wall. Then play it like a flute.

Dude :(

Devon8822
Newcomer

#69 Post by Devon8822 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 am

Oh my.... ok, he DOES NOT use a distortion pedal with his legacy, only with his fender, that he uses with the legacy in the mix.

resha

#70 Post by resha » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:18 am

Devon8822 wrote:Oh my.... ok, he DOES NOT use a distortion pedal with his legacy, only with his fender, that he uses with the legacy in the mix.
What?!

He's always used a dist pedal in front of his amps!

Actually (during the last tour) He had:

- DS-1 for the Fender
- Jemini for the Legacy

:wink:

8bigtubes

#71 Post by 8bigtubes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Devon8822 wrote:Oh my.... ok, he DOES NOT use a distortion pedal with his legacy, only with his fender, that he uses with the legacy in the mix.
Please get your info straight before you start posting misinformed opinions here. Whoever told you that Vai doesn't use a distortion pedal in front of his Legacy amps should be shot.

moesmiey
Newcomer

#72 Post by moesmiey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:48 pm

I'm looking to sell a Brian May Guitars that I picked up from my uncle...please shoot me an IM if your interested, thanks!

Shade

#73 Post by Shade » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 pm

moesmiey wrote:please shoot me, thanks!

:lol: Sorry, just had to.

To address one of the topics in this thread..

Sustain really is in the fingers, that's a fact that I'd argue with anyone. However, what guitar you're playing and what amp you're playing on also has a big factor.

My cousin has a behringer amp and he was wanting to get a Vai-like tone. He had tried turning the gain really high and messing with all these different settings but he just couldn't get it to sustain like he wanted. I backed the gain to around 6-7, messed with some other settings, added a touch of reverb and just a hint of delay and boom, violin like sustain and warmth. He was shocked to see anything other than the buzzy-mess he had been getting up to that point.

It varies from amp to amp, but there are definitely settings that maximize sustain or rather, make it easier to bring that sustain out.

Big Bad Bill

#74 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 am

What do you actually do with all that sustain? Is it really necessary or is it just 'Hey look what I can do'? Are there any songs where it goes longer than say 10 seconds or so? I can only think of 'Parisenne Walkways'. Even Steve uses a sustainer to get his long notes holding for ages.

boswell

#75 Post by boswell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:54 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:What do you actually do with all that sustain? Is it really necessary or is it just 'Hey look what I can do'? Are there any songs where it goes longer than say 10 seconds or so? I can only think of 'Parisenne Walkways'. Even Steve uses a sustainer to get his long notes holding for ages.
We need to have a sustain contest next time I'm round at yours :wink: