Why does Steve use a Distortion Pedal

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
lydian7

^

Yes, I agree with you there. The TS9 gives your tone a bit more sustain, and to by ears it also beefs the tone up a little more.
Pluto
Newcomer

I have an partial tube amp (just the preamp is tubed), and that has quite nice tones compared to transistor amps. I do not exactly like the distortion that much, however I use both overdrive from the amp and my Digitech RP80 to get my lead sound.
The RP80 is used to model a marshal, and the output of that goes to the clean channel of my amp with the gain all the way up. This way, if I plug my guitar straight into this channel with this configuration, it would be reletively clean, overdriving only when I, say, strum a chord.
With the gain set to normal, and my RP80 going into the clean channel, higher volumes gives this disgusting raspy #### sound and its just annoying to listen to.
However, once the already-distorted signal from the pedal goes into the very-slightly overdriven chanel on my amp, the whole tone just smooths out, and I can get excellent, liquid tones at any volume.
jun_gats
Newcomer

the ds1 sounds great i think it depends on your setup :D it works for me

Evai

^What's the unmodded DS-1 for? A less/more distorted sound or does it do something the modded one can't do :?:
resha

Evai wrote:^What's the unmodded DS-1 for? A less/more distorted sound or does it do something the modded one can't do :?:
It's probably because of the Keeley's DS1 sound. It's really really far from the stock one (more overall distortion, more harmonics, more bass... more more more!)

:roll:
mr_vai777

where do you get a board like that?
TheRocKsTaR777

I dont really use my DS1 on my legacy either..I find it changes up my tone a bit,If I use it,I use it on my clean channel for a different sound.My TS808 sounds just perfect with the legacy,just the perfect touch,Like icing on a cake ya know ? I've found that my DS1 sounds much better on hybrid type amps..I also have a little 15 watt Vox Valvetronix amp with 1 preamp tube.Great sounding little amp,very clean.But the distortion isnt very good on it,it just lacks the warmth and balls of power tubes,so I use my keeley modded DS1 to push it a little more and its perfect with that setup.I use this alot for different type stuff like pink floyd,etc.Anyway I guess it all boils down to your setup,the type of music you play and the way you have you stuff eq'd
boswell

mr_vai777 wrote:where do you get a board like that?
Boss: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/BCB-60/index.html[/url]
mr_vai777

awesome work, thanks!
bumfluff
Newcomer

Correct me if im wrong, but hasnt steve said the DS-1 has always been an important factor in his sound?
meandmrvai

Zeds.Ded wrote:wah pedals with modeled sounds for particular songs of a particular artist are for noobs

sorry :wink:
That is why I have an original Crybaby wah, cause it sounds exactly like the Hendrix wah to me, I can play Voodoo Child and the wah sounds almost exactly like Hendrix's even with a crappy guitar.

Vai hardly uses the DS-1 for anything more then a boost, although I would imagine for a song like Giant Balls of Gold he does use it to get a slightly heavier sound. It's strange though, I use a TS7 and when tweaked properly on my Fender tube amp, the distortion is just as smooth as when Vai plays Liberty or For the Love of God. It also depends on how you play as well.
TonyMacalpine

wtf is a grade 8 guitarist? And why does it surprise you that Steve or any other guitarists with great tone would use a solid state drive? Most guitarists with great tone have used solid state distortion pedals. All the vintage fuzz pedals, the tube screamers, and historic distortion pedals have been solid state and have been used by many great guitarists to great extent. I'm not sure what the source of your curiosity is.
meandmrvai

There are very few tube based pedals period, in fact I find them to be a nuisance since they heat up easily just like tube amps do and they are more frail then a solid state pedal.
GuitarStrings

I also use a distortion pedal upon my amp distortion. :D

I mainly play progressive rock/metal.

I find that adding a little bit of boost with a distortion pedal(setting it at low gain and high output) upon your already existing amp distortion, will give you an ACTIVE PICKUP type sound. It sounds very powerful when you play fast solos, sounds more precise but less dynamic. I usually switch it off when I am playing rhythms because for some reason the DS-1 compresses too much the low frequencies and attacks that are required in my rhythm sections. Well, maybe I should try the Keeley mod one.

Well. this is just how I use it. :P

gs.

joebot

Never liked distortion pedals, never will unless one I play doesn't sound crap.

I love my two amps, if I need more gain I will turn the EMG afterburner up a little on my guitar (that I still haven't installed) I use my crate blue voodoo for rhythm and just switch the channel select on my Marshall JMC2000 from the rhythm channel (that I have set to mute) to the lead channel (that I have set reasonably high.)

I get more output and added warmth from the Marshall.

Don't really care what anyone else uses, it works for me.

I have to be honest, the amount of ppl that have gone out and bought a jem and a legacy on here really amuse me, fair cop if you have tried them and you just love them and they work for your sound, but anyone trying to just sound like VAI, ..........can't help but have to say this.........get your own tone?

:roll:

Sorry if that sounded obnoxious, but who cares what satch uses or what VAI uses, unless it works for you, I suspect there are a hell of a lot of ppl that seer VAI with a jem or satch with a JS and just have to go and buy one from that alone.

Again, if that's your thing then OK, personally I want my gear to cater for MY playing and MY sound. I don't care about imitating anyone else!, never have and I never will.