Why does Steve use a Distortion Pedal

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Darth Vader II
Newcomer

Why does Steve use a Distortion Pedal

#1 Post by Darth Vader II » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm

I am a little confused about distortion, Vai has such an awesome sound with his valve amps, so why does he use a distortion pedal?

I would have thought a distortion pedal would ruin the sound of a really nice sounding valve amp by giving it a nasty fizzy transistor distortion, I just imagine a really nice valve distortion and I would have thought if you used a distortion pedal it would have turned the sound from a nice warm valve distortion sound to a fizzy transistor distortion from the pedal, but Vai's sound never sounds like a transistor amp at all, it has an amazing distortion. Its hard to explain my question and I probably sound like an idiot and a noob but it has always foxed me why he would even NEED a distortion pedal when he has such an amazing sound from his amp.

And for the record I am not a noob at all lol, I am a grade 8 guitarist and I also teach and have an Ibanez RG550 and a Floral Jem, I just never understood a person with such an amazing tone like Steve to use a BOSS DS-1.

Someone please help me because this question has haunted me for ages and I have never been able to get an answer from anyone.

quiksilver98

#2 Post by quiksilver98 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Think logically, does Vai have a good sound regardless? Question answered.

8bigtubes

#3 Post by 8bigtubes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:25 am

He just uses it as a boost for solos. Not as his main source of distortion.

What's the big deal ?

boswell

#4 Post by boswell » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:45 am

must admit I've never seen the point of having a cool amp then muddying the tone with loads of pedals

Zeds.Ded

#5 Post by Zeds.Ded » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:30 am

Vai sees the point, and it works for him, maybe the new 3 channel legacy might get rid of the need for a boost pedal when he has an extra channel for loader and fatter sounds

Darth Vader II
Newcomer

#6 Post by Darth Vader II » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 am

I just have a really nice sound but sometimes I want a little bit more sustain, but I don't want to go out and buy a Distortion pedal if it makes the sound really fizzy.

resha

#7 Post by resha » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:57 am

Darth Vader II wrote:I just have a really nice sound but sometimes I want a little bit more sustain, but I don't want to go out and buy a Distortion pedal if it makes the sound really fizzy.
Maybe if your serch is accurate you can find the pedal that works well for your needs :wink:

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:16 am

Interestingly, the new 5150 III (as all previous 5150s) have circuits designed so they don't require the boost from a solid state pedal. I don't see why the Legacy can't be similarly tweaked.

Almost all guitarists agreed that valves sound better than solid state, so why introduce them, and their tone leaching characteristics, into your tone path?

quiksilver98

#9 Post by quiksilver98 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:14 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Interestingly, the new 5150 III (as all previous 5150s) have circuits designed so they don't require the boost from a solid state pedal. I don't see why the Legacy can't be similarly tweaked.

Almost all guitarists agreed that valves sound better than solid state, so why introduce them, and their tone leaching characteristics, into your tone path?

Well tubes are the best, transisters are for noobs!

Andrew J Dampier

#10 Post by Andrew J Dampier » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:43 am

quiksilver98 wrote: Well tubes are the best, transisters are for noobs!
Funny, I actually think comments like that are for noobs!

:roll:

(I won't even bother going over the countless guitarist through time who have used solid state amps and have gotten great tones from them)

You can have a great sounding amp and still want something different from it.
The Legacy is closer to a modded Marshall than say a Mesa, which has TONS of gain. The Legacy can give a super crisp bite that is great for rhythm work, but getting notes to sustain forever isn't as easy unless you hit the input a little harder and smooth out the sound.

For those who already have all the gain/distortion they want, try this: While playing, roll your volume knob back to, say 6-7. If your tone is clear then your sound should clean up quite well and you'll lose some sustain.
Basically, you just need a "lil more" to get back to that sweet, sustaining/saturated sound.

That's essentially what Steve does with the DS-1. The DS-1 doesn't change the sound or fuck with the tube amp or anything like that, just adds a tiny grit with a hotter input to smooth out the sound.

Steve actually doesn't use as much distortion as people think, especially live. His tone is extremely clear and articulate. Even with the DS-1 on, there still isn't a shitload of distortion, just enough to keep the guitar singing.

boswell

#11 Post by boswell » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 am

Andrew J Dampier wrote:

couldn't agree more :D

Darth Vader II
Newcomer

#12 Post by Darth Vader II » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:54 am

Andrew J Dampier wrote:

(I won't even bother going over the countless guitarist through time who have used solid state amps and have gotten great tones from them)

You can have a great sounding amp and still want something different from it.
The Legacy is closer to a modded Marshall than say a Mesa, which has TONS of gain. The Legacy can give a super crisp bite that is great for rhythm work, but getting notes to sustain forever isn't as easy unless you hit the input a little harder and smooth out the sound.

For those who already have all the gain/distortion they want, try this: While playing, roll your volume knob back to, say 6-7. If your tone is clear then your sound should clean up quite well and you'll lose some sustain.
Basically, you just need a "lil more" to get back to that sweet, sustaining/saturated sound.

That's essentially what Steve does with the DS-1. The DS-1 doesn't change the sound or fuck with the tube amp or anything like that, just adds a tiny grit with a hotter input to smooth out the sound.

Steve actually doesn't use as much distortion as people think, especially live. His tone is extremely clear and articulate. Even with the DS-1 on, there still isn't a shitload of distortion, just enough to keep the guitar singing.
Thanks man that really helped, I have got a DS-1 now and I have to say that I am impressed with the sound and the way it gives that little more sustain.

quiksilver98

#13 Post by quiksilver98 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 am

CORRECTION: Transister AMPS are for noobs, pedals are awesomefor anyone who misunderstood me!!! I myself use a TS-9/bossgt-8 and jimihendrix wah.

Zeds.Ded

#14 Post by Zeds.Ded » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am

wah pedals with modeled sounds for particular songs of a particular artist are for noobs

sorry :wink:

ClarkyNZ

#15 Post by ClarkyNZ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am

quiksilver98 wrote:CORRECTION: Transister AMPS are for noobs, pedals are awesomefor anyone who misunderstood me!!! I myself use a TS-9/bossgt-8 and jimihendrix wah.
You obviously haven't heard a Fender Pro amp then, noob. :P