Rig with Digitech Whammy

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
8bigtubes

Jeries wrote:Joe uses the whammy on Satch Boogie..although he gets the same effect from depressing his whammy bar and hitting artificial harmonics then bringing it up to pitch...

my fav example of Steve and his whammy is on Whispering A Prayer...about 1:40 into the album version...although that is with lots of panned delay...
There is no Whammy pedal use in Satch Boogie

and

There is no Whammy pedal use in Whispering A Prayer. What you're hearing is a ping-pong delay and a VOLUME pedal :roll:

Please get your facts straight before you mislead someone with wrong info.
Jeries

There is Whammy on the live versions of Satch Boogie..its been a while since i listened to the album version

I do recall Steve mentioning the use of the Whammy on Whispering a Prayer in the part i mentioned in the commentary on the astoria dvd...it may have been another song...
pagliai

If you want a whammy rack give a try here
http://www.mtechaudio.it/
I don't know if i can do it on this site but it is only an info
If i can't do it i apologize with everyone here ,i m sorry
VaiEvo

"Searching" by Joe Satriani has, imo, the most obvious use of the Whammy pedal. It's also pretty freaking neat, he uses it with arpeggios and the chord changes sound cooler.
Stephen Brown

NOT!!! wrote:well, the Whammy 1 is not any tiny bit smoother than the Whammy 4, they sound exactly the same, and I don´t really know where people get such stupid rumours. Maybe they listen to Satriani or Vai and hear that damn warm Whammysound and think it comes from the WH-1.

But the truth is, that these people just can´t handle the pedal and their sound the right way.

I also thouhgt once, that the WH-1 was smoother, until I bought one (I bought 2...sold one) and heared it myself. I have a WH-4 and a WH-1 at home, and I compared them for several hours. I invited musicians and told them to look away and guess, when I change from the WH-1 to WH-4.

1. They didn´t realize the change
2. They said "Change", when I played one for a while

3. I have very good ears concerning this and the Whammy 1 sounds EXACTLY like the WH-4, and there is no "slight diffrence blablabla", it´s a fact!

And if you don´t say so, show me some recordings of both!
I did say the word oscilloscope.

Build components facts in reference to price still stand though, on a ratio basis.
NOT!!!

FRETPICK wrote: I did say the word oscilloscope.
you said:

WH-1: warm

WH-4: not so warm

And the word oscilloscope doesn´t have anything to do with the coherence of these words, even if it stands right beside. You put the word oscilloscope into another coherence. You use the word to say the whammy is "off".

And even that would be wrong concerning "warmth", because it´s exactly the same!

There is no oscilloscope!
Stephen Brown

You are right. Lets not get into it.
lydian7

NOT!!! wrote: don´t spend all your money on a WH-1 and don´t believe in some stupid rumours, get a WH-4, they both sound the same!
The benefits of finding a WH-1 over a WH-4 (which I own presently) is that you can mod the WH-1 for true bypass, but not the WH-4. Check out the Keeley website for more info www.robertkeeley.com

As for good examples of Whammy use I would pick the Joe Satriani Cool #9 melody to emphasise the classic whammy effect. At the end of each phrase Joe puts in a 2-octave slide on the last note, very subtle but very effective.

Other Vai/Satriani songs where the whammy is used:

Ultra Zone (bridge)
Searching (chorus)
Raspberry Jam/Delta V (recapitulation of main melody and during solo)
Murder (Whammy harmoniser used)
Mysterious Muder of Christian Tiera's Lover (throughout)
Kill the Guy with the Ball (intro on the "ii-eye" and during the songs climax)

ect..
aaron555

Rachmaninoff wrote:
andy82 wrote:and now I'm interested to hear about people's opinion on the Boss GT-8...
I have a GT-8, and the whammy simulation (named Pedal Bend) is very good. I've recorded a sample some months ago for some friends of mine to listen, check it out:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=4612132
where did you put the pedal bend in the chain FX???
Chaddy
Newcomer

Does anyone mentioned Vai's "The Animal". After the solo there is hell-like whammy action :twisted:
lydian7

Chaddy wrote:Does anyone mentioned Vai's "The Animal". After the solo there is hell-like whammy action :twisted:
The main Animal riff itself sounds like Whammy harmonization to me too.
Andrew J Dampier

lydian7 wrote:
The main Animal riff itself sounds like Whammy harmonization to me too.
I know he's used it live to play the song....
NOT!!!

Andrew J Dampier wrote: I know he's used it live to play the song....
oh my god...please welcome Steve´s whammy to the forum!

It´s alive!
seljer

NOT!!! wrote:
Andrew J Dampier wrote: I know he's used it live to play the song....
oh my god...please welcome Steve´s whammy to the forum!

It´s alive!
wouldn't he have had to have used "me" instead of "it" to present himself as the whammy pedal? :?
NOT!!!

damn ;).