Rig with Digitech Whammy

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
andy82

sorry this is a real newbie question, but can anyone give me a good example where the Digitech WH1 whammy is used (and easily identifiable) in some of Steve Vai's or even Joe Satriani's songs?

I recently went to the local music store here and they didn't have the WH1 whammy for me to try, so I really don't have a clue what kind of tones this pedal can produce...
Jeries

Joe uses the whammy on Satch Boogie live..although he gets the same effect from depressing his whammy bar and hitting artificial harmonics then bringing it up to pitch...

my fav example of Steve and his whammy is on Whispering A Prayer...about 1:40 into the album version...although that is with lots of panned delay...

although there are many more examples of its use

The most obvious use of the Whammy pedal is by Tom Morello of RATM and Audioslave...
Last edited by Jeries on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdnmusic

i would say listen to the solo of killing in the name by rage against the machine...
thats just if you want to hear it easily.
Jeries

The WH1 whammy are very rare and hard to find...if you can find one they go on ebay for $400-600 easily...While the new reissued ones are very good...very easy to find...and have some updated features like MIDI to control the effects. Steve uses a WH1 as an expression but has a custom built Whammy in Rack form "Rack Of Wham!" The Reissue has a much bigger expression pedal and a few other tricks like Divebomb effects.

I'm about 90% certain Joe Satriani uses the reissued one in his rig right now, but Vai and Morello only use the original...many swear by the original chips and sound of the older pedal...

While Korn has tons of the Whammy effect they actually use the rare Whammy/Wah pedal made by Digitech.
Jeries

The most clear use of the Whammy pedal i can think of is in the solo to Audioslaves' LIKE A STONE.
seljer

Vai's Touching Tongues, at about 1:14 into the song when it changes to the second theme, he also has a fair bit of delay going on there

in the chorus of Joe Satriani - Searching (0:56)
and in the first section of Cool #9 http://youtube.com/watch?v=8fhprKms_6M

heres Buckethead using his (in combination with the killswitch on his guitar)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pytlmRmxZkA

and Herman Li from Dragonforces abuses the hell out of the pedal in general

but the pedal does a whole lot of other stuff than the octave thing, its also got a bunch of other pitch shifting capabilities and its detune settings
Petie

Jeries wrote:Joe uses the whammy on Satch Boogie..although he gets the same effect from depressing his whammy bar and hitting artificial harmonics then bringing it up to pitch...
Satch Boogie was recorded years before the whammy pedal was even designed. Good Satch example is probably "Cool #9," especially the version on the first G3 video.

Best Vai tracks to hear the Whammy Pedal:

Rhythm guitar part to Building The Church

Introduction lick to "The Blood & The Tears"

Chorus of "Touching Tongues"

The fast bit at the end of "The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tiera's Lover"

The rhythm guitars and the bridge melody section of "The Midway Creatures"

Vai's guest solo on Devin Townsend Band's "Triumph"
Samuele

You may also want to check out a couple of cool things:

- Steve's solo right after "Down Deep Into the Pain" on the London Astoria DVD. If I remember correctly, on the commentary track Steve actually explains how he set the pedal for that.

- "Reaping", off the "G3 Live - Rockin' In The Free World" CD. I believe that version can really tell you a lot about creative ways to use a Whammy.

Um, I notice how I only mentioned live performances that include Whammy abuse. :)
andy82

ok I get it now. Thanks for the examples.

It's so hard to know what gear to get these days as there are so many different equipment out there. I have a JS1200 with a Vox AD60VTX modelling amp.

I was thinking about getting a crybaby 535Q and the Digitech Wh1, then I thought about getting a Carvin Legacy combo amp, and now I'm interested to hear about people's opinion on the Boss GT-8...

For Vai/Satch music/tones, would you guys recommend getting a good amp with various pedals, or a good amp (or stick to or my current modelling amp) with a effects processor (like the Pod or GT-8), or stick to my modelling amp and get a few pedals?
NOT!!!

andy82 wrote: I was thinking about getting a crybaby 535Q and the Digitech Wh1
don´t spend all your money on a WH-1 and don´t believe in some stupid rumours, get a WH-4, they both sound the same!
NOT!!!

sorry, but that´s shit!
Stephen Brown

NOT!!! wrote:sorry, but that´s shit!
It's not as you put it or....How so?
NOT!!!

well, the Whammy 1 is not any tiny bit smoother than the Whammy 4, they sound exactly the same, and I don´t really know where people get such stupid rumours. Maybe they listen to Satriani or Vai and hear that damn warm Whammysound and think it comes from the WH-1.

But the truth is, that these people just can´t handle the pedal and their sound the right way.

I also thouhgt once, that the WH-1 was smoother, until I bought one (I bought 2...sold one) and heared it myself. I have a WH-4 and a WH-1 at home, and I compared them for several hours. I invited musicians and told them to look away and guess, when I change from the WH-1 to WH-4.

1. They didn´t realize the change
2. They said "Change", when I played one for a while

3. I have very good ears concerning this and the Whammy 1 sounds EXACTLY like the WH-4, and there is no "slight diffrence blablabla", it´s a fact!

And if you don´t say so, show me some recordings of both!
Rachmaninoff

andy82 wrote:and now I'm interested to hear about people's opinion on the Boss GT-8...
I have a GT-8, and the whammy simulation (named Pedal Bend) is very good. I've recorded a sample some months ago for some friends of mine to listen, check it out:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=4612132