Does Vai rely on a box for distortion?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
meandmrvai

Or does he use the amp for his distortion settings and to get a bigger, beefy sound on songs like Giant Balls of Gold and The Attitude Song?
VaiEvo

I'm pretty sure he uses both a Boss DS-1 and an Ibanez Tubescreamer, depending on what sound he wants.
Zeds.Ded

he usually only uses them to boost his gain channel on the legacy, but now he's using the prototype Jemini pedal, wich is a tubescreamer and ds-1 all in one!
Big Bad Bill

Zeds.Ded wrote:he usually only uses them to boost his gain channel on the legacy, but now he's using the prototype Jemini pedal, wich is a tubescreamer and ds-1 all in one!
But, on Steve's Legacy demo, he says he's plugging straight into the amp (with a little delay) and the tone is just the same as his album tone!

http://www.carvin.com/vai/vaidemo.mp3

So where is he using a stomp box? Why would he need to push the gain anymore on a high gain amp?

I've also never understood why we guitarists are are so careful about using valve amps for the great tone and then stick a solid state stomp box in the signal path-often with cheapo components in them! It seems contradictory.
resha

Big Bad Bill wrote:So where is he using a stomp box? Why would he need to push the gain anymore on a high gain amp?
Bill remember that the Legacy is not a high gain amp as a Rectifier or a Jsx are. Also Steve sets His drive at about 6, so He does not push it to the limit... maybe He likes his pedals to give a major boost effect, both in terms of gain and volume 8)
Big Bad Bill

resha wrote:Bill remember that the Legacy is not a high gain amp as a Rectifier or a Jsx are.
Oh, I didn't realise that.
resha wrote:Also Steve sets His drive at about 6, so He does not push it to the limit... maybe He likes his pedals to give a major boost effect, both in terms of gain and volume 8)
So he uses the Tubescreamer as a signal boost?
anuj

as a gain boost.

~A
Zeds.Ded

if you watch 'The Animal' on the live at the Astoria dvd, you can see Steve stomp in a ds-1 at some stage near the start
resha

anuj wrote:as a gain boost.

~A
Relying on the great RI:R gear fest by J, which you can find here: http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14856

you can clearly see DS-1 and TS's levels and gains.

So I think they both act as a volume and gain boost simultaneously :wink:
guitarman13

Well now he's using the new dual distortion pedal that he just finished designing with Ibanez called the Jemini. I hope it comes out soon.
jun_gats
Newcomer

i think he uses them to boost up the amp channel. it will add more character and better response.
resha

jun_gats wrote:i think he uses them to boost up the amp channel. it will add more character and better response.
Yup
quiksilver98

it will also give you a lot more noise.
resha

quiksilver98 wrote:it will also give you a lot more noise.
It depends on the way you set your boosts.
And on your cables.
And on your equipment in general.
quiksilver98

Yeah, you might still need a suppresor.