Pick up question

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Draven0914

I was curious if anyone knows what pickup combination Vai used before going to Evolutions.........I know he has played Dimarzios and I have heard he use to play a DiMarzio PAF PRo in the bridge but what were the other two pickups..........if anyone can help me with this I would deeply appreciate it

Thanks

Justin
resha

A set of Paf Pro's in His earlier Jems.

Sticker strat had X2N (whatever it's called) on the bridge.

Green Meanie had custom made DiMarzio's but I don't exactly know what model.
Draven0914

Resha,

thank you very much for your info........but in his earlier JEMS u are saying he had PAF PROS in the bridge and the neck position what was in the middle position (what single coil) did he prefer at that time ............and thank you again I deeply appreciate the info

Justin
resha

I don't know what model the single was.

Earlier Jem are always referred to as Paf Pro (Humb/Single/Humb), so I ain't got any idea :?
Draven0914

Resha,

thnk you very much for the help......I will try to find it and if so i will let you know as well :)
calos

I have an 88' floral with pink pafpros, the middle pickup is fairly generic single coil and definately lower output than the single coils of the pafs, it has a pink cover and inside is a pretty basic looking pick up.

No real code numbers or such to identify it either I'm afriad... :(

peace
cal
seljer

from jemsite:

JEM Single Coil Pickup - The original "JEM Single Coil Pickup" is not available separately from Ibanez or DiMarzio. The closest (exact?) match according to DiMarzio is the HS-2 run in single coil mode. The "JEM Single Coil Pickup" has been tweaked to match the accompanying PAF Pros, Evolutions or Breeds depending on various JEM models.
Draven0914

Thank You Thank you Thank You..........I thank all of you for your help it is deeply appreciated :)
rg2550e
Newcomer

im shall have a new singlecoil soon. i want to have a steve vai tone in it. are there anyone there no wich pickup i shall take.
pagliai

man if you check on ebay you can find the set with iscv single too or only 1 pick up at the same time.Di marzio sell every jem pick up middle and neck and bridge so check on ebay or at the dimarzio shop on the web.
In my opinion little and humble opinion the dimarzio set sounds more good than the ibanez original set on jems.
hope this helps
Alex
rg2550e
Newcomer

i cant find the pickup on dimarzio's homesite
resha

rg2550e wrote:i cant find the pickup on dimarzio's homesite
Pickups >>> Strat >>> Hum Cancelling Strat >>> HS-2

They ain't got the Jem single, which is quite difficult to find :wink:
pagliai

give a call here i take the sets of jem pickups here.
http://stores.ebay.it/Sigler-Music-Center
jun_gats
Newcomer

what kind of sound do you want? pickups are like people. choose what you prefer.