Does EVO have new pickups?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
funnyguy12

when you order pickups from dimarzio, how do u specify what color you want the poles to be. Like i want a Evo for my bridge in black but with crome poles. is that possible. And would that change the sound?
NOT!!!

just take the screws off and rub them between your fingers. The hardware is so badly painted, the gold will fall off the screws :mrgreen:

well, you can polish it off, but the bad-paint-thing is true.....
resha

funnyguy12 wrote:when you order pickups from dimarzio, how do u specify what color you want the poles to be. Like i want a Evo for my bridge in black but with crome poles. is that possible. And would that change the sound?
From the FAQ Section of dimarzio.com
The pickup model that I need comes standard with black polepieces, but I’d rather have the polepieces in chrome or gold. Can you do it?

We can do alternate polepiece colors on some models that have adjustable polepieces. Please call or email with your specific request. There is an extra charge of $10 List Price for alternate polepiece colors when available. Dealer prices may vary.
:wink:
GGGrev

Hmmm this is interesting...
cosmic ape

I forgot they did that... I just ordered new pickups!!! well, next time I guess
IbanezGRX
Banned

I wish I had some Evos :D
miker

Yah. definitely new pick-ups... that's a bit of a puzzle, eh?

Could be the old ones wore out... is that possible? If anyone could do it... Steve prolly could.

My first SG had the bridge pick-up go bad after a couple years. With high gain, the guitar would just feedback off the bridge pick-up. It wasn't the strings... it was the pick-up... mute the strings and you could hear it and feel the bridge pick-up pulsing. Was told that to fix it you'd have to re-dip it in wax.

I ended up buying another and haven't had that type of problem again. Figured it was a defective one -- I would be pretty astonished if I wore it out (I did play hellaciously loud though when I was kid, sometimes as loud as possible... who knows?).

Maybe with all that Steve puts the guitar through... the wax in the pick-ups breakdown and the guitar doesn't sound as good or has feedback probs... they wear out? Guess it's easier to replace than repair... dunno.

It's probably something else completely that made a change necessary. heh.
resha

I just think She has received new pickups :)
miker

...and I would agree with you, Resha.

Had I not read this:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages ... cs_01.html
RAI

miker wrote:...and I would agree with you, Resha.

Had I not read this:
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages ... cs_01.html
However, a "strange sounding pickup", isn't the same as one that just doesn't work at all. While Steve might like his old stuff, no matter what, if it's broken and dead, it will need replacement.
No way around it.....

8)
brentm

Maybe he moved the pickups to another guitar? We've been seeing less and less of Evo.... you know?
Rachmaninoff

VaiEvo wrote:Check the Evo minisite, he had the entire crew digging in the trashcan for that neck pickup one time...
Exactly what I was thinking of...
Hope Nordegg has put the old pickup on his drawer this time!
:lol:
jun_gats
Newcomer

I think this will depend on steve's mood, but I prefer the just the evo rather than evo 2 or breed, but again this depends on the guitar wood :D