Question about Flo

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
calos

As a lot of us know, Flo was originaly a Jem floral, that's not gonna be the question sorry guys ;)

Ok, as far as I know, Jem florals where only ever made with the original neck-joint, much like my'n, but flow has the newer AANJ (all access neck joint) so, did a luthier add wood to the original neck and cut some away from the body (wich you have to do to achive this, at least I think) or was the transformation done some other way?

Anyone know .. coff Mikey ?

peace
cal
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, yes, Flo's All Access Mutant Neck Joint :)

Many moons ago, Mikey posted these for our enjoyment:

As you can see, the body has been transformed to accept AANJ necks.
The neck is an AANJ 7vwh neck, not a 77FP neck made to fit AANJ. (and for a long time, a Jem 555 neck was used btw)

Jeroen
calos

Ah..!

Thank you Jeroen, not only for the post, but for being so fast with the answer, honestley, I've been trying to figure out how this was done for a long while, and if like me you play and own a floral from the 80's, then you start thinking man I'd love to have the AANJ on this guitar, and you just crystalised it for me, it's a custom job and not a stock quick fix, I love the neck on my Jem, I really couldn't concider changing it unless I had to but like you posted, a mutant neck joint isn't something I would trust to anyone, other than the people that Steve would and Ibanez are not about to provide me with another neck to play around with as a "joe Ibanez player" but it's still good to know, thank you again bro.

peace
cal
catscratchfever

hey, if flo was originally a floral, then doesnt it have a basswood body?
-=MelodicDreamer=-

Why would Steve paint over a Floral Jem anyways? I'm sure he could just snap his fingers and Ibanez would make him 5 more Jems to his specifics.
resha

catscratchfever wrote:hey, if flo was originally a floral, then doesnt it have a basswood body?
Yep, I think it's basswood! 8)
resha

-=MelodicDreamer=- wrote:Why would Steve paint over a Floral Jem anyways? I'm sure he could just snap his fingers and Ibanez would make him 5 more Jems to his specifics.
:roll:

The same reason why Steve never left Evo... He could have Ibanez build tons of other guitars, but no! He kept on playing Evo.

It's not just about wire and wood, it's something deeper when you put all your passion and devotion into an instrument. I'm sure Steve loved so much that FP that He wanted Her to be One of His main guitars.

If Ibanez made another one, it would not have been the same thing and Steve may not have liked that specific guitar.
-=MelodicDreamer=-

resha wrote:
-=MelodicDreamer=- wrote:Why would Steve paint over a Floral Jem anyways? I'm sure he could just snap his fingers and Ibanez would make him 5 more Jems to his specifics.

The same reason why Steve never left Evo... He could have Ibanez build tons of other guitars, but no! He kept on playing Evo.

It's not just about wire and wood, it's something deeper when you put all your passion and devotion into an instrument. I'm sure Steve loved so much that FP that He wanted Her to be One of His main guitars.

If Ibanez made another one, it would not have been the same thing and Steve may not have liked that specific guitar.
Well, if he loved it so deeply, why not keep it in its true form?

His guitars don't have to be white to be a "main" guitar of his.

Hehe.
resha

-=MelodicDreamer=- wrote:
resha wrote:

Well, if he loved it so deeply, why not keep it in its true form?

His guitars don't have to be white to be a "main" guitar of his.

Hehe.
Maybe the white body evokes certain things in Steve's mind that the floral body can't... The color work can be thought as an upgrade to a supreme guitar. Or He just preferred to have it painted white (probably for some Ibanez suggestions too)
Kurac777

Wow.. I didn't know that!
matic22

I read similar thing in Joe Satriani's interview.

Ibanez: Now, lets talk about gear a little bit. Which Ibanez guitars are you utilizing at the moment?

Joe: Aside from Chrome Boy? I'm looking at my guitar stand right now and I've got a new white JS1000 guitar on it, which sometimes I gravitate towards because of the color. When I really get tired of the stuff I've been playing, I go to a white guitar and I feel like I'm starting on a clean slate. I also dug up my old JS6 mahogany to use for slide guitar and the JS700 with the soap bar pickups, which I also use for slide guitar. I'm determined to push my slide playing into the next level, which means I really have to practice quite a bit. I've also been working with a Universe 7-string quite a bit. I'm determined to unlock the secret of setting it up so it responds a little more like the JS guitars. I plan to use it on it on some Playstation 2 tracks.

P.S. Mikey, can you add a new picture of Flo on her guitar page, because photo of her is very very old.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

matic22 wrote:P.S. Mikey, can you add a new picture of Flo on her guitar page, because photo of her is very very old.
I will. They'll all get new photos soon. But first we gotta get this DVD done! ;)

Mikey :)
vai.com
Stephen Brown

How can you crack the heal?
Stephen Brown

matic22 wrote:I read similar thing in Joe Satriani's interview.

Ibanez: Now, lets talk about gear a little bit. Which Ibanez guitars are you utilizing at the moment?

Joe: Aside from Chrome Boy? I'm looking at my guitar stand right now and I've got a new white JS1000 guitar on it, which sometimes I gravitate towards because of the color. When I really get tired of the stuff I've been playing, I go to a white guitar and I feel like I'm starting on a clean slate. I also dug up my old JS6 mahogany to use for slide guitar and the JS700 with the soap bar pickups, which I also use for slide guitar. I'm determined to push my slide playing into the next level, which means I really have to practice quite a bit. I've also been working with a Universe 7-string quite a bit. I'm determined to unlock the secret of setting it up so it responds a little more like the JS guitars. I plan to use it on it on some Playstation 2 tracks.

P.S. Mikey, can you add a new picture of Flo on her guitar page, because photo of her is very very old.
Thanks for that insight.
RAI

I'm still very confused about "why?".......

He loved that specific guitar so much, he had to keep it.
But with all the changes, it's simply no longer the same guitar, so why bother?

New neck
Re-shape neck joint
Re-paint
New electronics (x2)

It doesn't make sense, really....
Mikey, when there is a moment, please enlighten us as to "why?".
Grazie!