Ibanez JEM Template

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
guitarmattms

Hello!!

I'm just curious if there is a template for the Jem online some where. I'm interested in trying to build my own.

I appreciate the help and I'm also wondering if this is illegal to do some how in the eyes of Copy righting and such.

Anyway, I'll appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

*Matt*
RAI

Try this:
http://www.jemsite.com

Happy reading!

:)
seljer

If you're just building it for yourself there shouldn't be any trouble
nienturi

guitarmattms

Thanks for your help guys.

I was kinda hoping for a free drawing or something where you could print it off and trace it onto the wood. I guess not.. :( It can't be that easy.

I appreciate the help though.

*Matt*
RAI

guitarmattms wrote:Thanks for your help guys.

I was kinda hoping for a free drawing or something where you could print it off and trace it onto the wood. I guess not.. :( It can't be that easy.

I appreciate the help though.

*Matt*
Once again:

http://www.jemsite.com

Happy reading!
guitarmattms

I know about the website and have been reading it. I don't see any templates on there.

Is there a certain area I should be aware of?

Thanks,
guitarmattms

Hehe,
I feel dumb now. :(

Well, thanks for the help everyone!
All I need next is the wood and money.

One other question.

I noticed that the JS model has the same wood type as the Jem.
However, the Jem is much heavier than the JS. This is because the different amount of wood being used right? Is it possible for me to use the same body shape as the Jem but use the size of the Js instead?
And one more question. I also prefer the neck of the Js rather the neck of the Jem. The width of the neck is too much for me. Would it be possible for me to use the same size of neck for the JS?

Thanks again.

I hope my questions make sense here.
seljer

I can't find a good picture, but if you noticed that because of all the contours, the JS body is really slim, which would probably the reason for the difference in weight (providing your comparing a basswood JS and a basswood JEM, as there are a couple of alder JEMs <- the 7VWH for example)
RAI

guitarmattms wrote:
I noticed that the JS model has the same wood type as the Jem.
However, the Jem is much heavier than the JS. This is because the different amount of wood being used right? Is it possible for me to use the same body shape as the Jem but use the size of the Js instead?
And one more question. I also prefer the neck of the Js rather the neck of the Jem. The width of the neck is too much for me. Would it be possible for me to use the same size of neck for the JS?
If you're building a guitar from scratch, you can use any specs you want.
JEM body with a JS neck (including 22 frets), is completely do-able.
If you do it from scratch.
Putting together a real JEM body and a real JS neck is a different story...
guitarmattms

I see,

So all I would need to do is to change the dimensions of the neck joint for the dimensions that would work for the JS right?

What about the recessed tremelo? Would this be affected as well. Since there's less wood in the guitar?

I'm new to this sort of thing so that is why I'm asking all these questions before I begin the project. So, I appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks!

*Matt*
seljer

do you want it to have the dimension of a JS neck in width and thickness or do you want to put an actual JS neck in there?

The first is easy if you're building your own neck
just build it to whatever thickness you want (with width you have to remember some other things, eg: what size nut to buy and other little things so everything falls into place when completed) http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

for the second....well it just wouldn't be right to have 22 frets on a JEM :P
but I think it would be possible on one of the pre-all access neck joint JEMs?
slash89

guitarmattms wrote:I see,

So all I would need to do is to change the dimensions of the neck joint for the dimensions that would work for the JS right?

What about the recessed tremelo? Would this be affected as well. Since there's less wood in the guitar?

I'm new to this sort of thing so that is why I'm asking all these questions before I begin the project. So, I appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks!

*Matt*
I see your point, but you are more likely to get better answers on a forum fully devoted to Jem guitars.
guitarmattms

do you want it to have the dimension of a JS neck in width and thickness or do you want to put an actual JS neck in there?
[/quote]

I want to have the same width and thickness as the Js neck except for the 22 frets. I would deft. want the 24 frets. I'm sick and tired of trying to play Vai's music with 21 frets. Just doesn't cut it. :roll:

I'm figuring that this is possible. I just would like to be able to all pop into place once I made all of the parts.

Thanks. [/quote]