Boss ds-1

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
markno999

I purchased an Analogman modded DS-1 and was not happy with the sound. It wasn't very bright and lacked the punch/presence I expected after reading many reviews on-line. After purchasing a Keeley-modded TS and hearing the quality of that unit, I sent my Analogman-modded DS-1 to Keeley, the difference was amazing. Very bright, very nice sound. Great for adding an extra punch to amp overdrive channel. I know sound these things are a matter of personal taste, but, my experience was the Keeley delivered the goods.

Regards
bkornaker1977

yeah..........i own the DS-1 UlTRA...........and it rocks! when you flip the switch to "ultra" mode, it acts more of a older "tube screamer/OD", that a distortion pedal.
roryrockslinda

I use an unmodded DS-1 due to lack of money and I find it does okay Vai tones for now, also will the Jemini be like the Analogman DS-1 and the Keeley TS in one enclosure or will it be different?
resha

GregN wrote:apparently he no longer uses a Ds1

Because he is using his new protype the "Gemni pedal"

(i could be wrong)
He's using both on the tour's pedalboard. 8)
teokiatuan3
Newcomer

to use the jemini(ibanez developed right?) pedal, which is a ds-1 plus TS (supposedly..) wouldn't ibz have to 'buy' ds-1 from BOSS?
seljer

teokiatuan3 wrote:to use the jemini(ibanez developed right?) pedal, which is a ds-1 plus TS (supposedly..) wouldn't ibz have to 'buy' ds-1 from BOSS?
to put things into perspective:
the Tubescreamer is practically the same circuit as the Boss SD1, you could convert one into the other and vice versa on the same circuit board

I can't really remember the DS1 but there are hundreds and hundred of different distortion pedals that all use the same basic building blocks (an opamp to amplify the signal -> clipping diodes to distort it -> tone control -> volume control). Ibanez has probably sold around a dozen such pedals over the past 2 decades (though the tone controls in most of them are a bit more elaborate)

circuits like this aren't all so holy untouchable intellectual property

the actual circuitboard artwork/layout might be a different story but they wouldn't go and copy that
and if you actually copy the appearance of the pedal (and make an orange little box and call it the "Boos DZ8") you might get some issues....but Behringer seem to be getting away with it
resha

teokiatuan3 wrote:to use the jemini(ibanez developed right?) pedal, which is a ds-1 plus TS (supposedly..) wouldn't ibz have to 'buy' ds-1 from BOSS?
The circuit of pedals such as DS-1 are easliy findable through the web :wink:

In any case I don't really think a company like Ibanez is not able to build that kinda stuff!
jun_gats
Newcomer

he's using stock ds1 know :D