Boss ds-1

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Vanquish
Newcomer
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:20 am

anyone know anything about the modifications vai has had made to his boss ds-1 distortion pedal?
seljer
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 am

ask this guy
http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php


though Vai for the larger part, has used a stock DS1 for most of his career and even on one of the recent tours
Last edited by seljer on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregN
Member
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:22 am

apparently he no longer uses a Ds1

Because he is using his new protype the "Gemni pedal"

(i could be wrong)
Zeds.Ded
Member
Member
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:52 pm

he was on his last tour i think ZPZ
Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

GregN wrote:apparently he no longer uses a Ds1

Because he is using his new protype the "Gemni pedal"

(i could be wrong)
What's that look like?
User avatar
another virtuoso
Member
Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm

GregN wrote:apparently he no longer uses a Ds1

Because he is using his new protype the "Gemni pedal"

(i could be wrong)
you are correct. i remember Mikey posting about this.
SPQR
Member
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:36 pm

i dont think the jemini pedal is an overdrive or boost unit?, Might well be something to do with Reverb or chorus or something. not sure though
Zeds.Ded
Member
Member
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:52 pm

i could be wrong but i think Mikey posted about it and said it was and overdrive/distortion unit, all it looked like was a little silver box with switchs on it, cause it was the prototype. but it could be something different :wink:
Ostwardo
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:56 pm

I read in an interview with steve that the pedal is a like a combination of a boss ds 1 pedal and ibanez tube screamer
BenHeath
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:14 pm

He's used stock ds-1s mostly, but the ds-1s from the 80's are waaaaaaaaaay better then the ones they make now, so to get the old sound you probaly have to modify a new one.
8bigtubes
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am

fortheloveofgod wrote:i dont think the jemini pedal is an overdrive or boost unit?, Might well be something to do with Reverb or chorus or something. not sure though
The Gemini pedal is a dual mode distortion box. 2 distortion tones that sound different.
8bigtubes
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am

seljer wrote:ask this guy
http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php


though Vai for the larger part, has used a stock DS1 for most of his career and even on one of the recent tours
On the more recent tours (post 2005), he's stopped using the Keeley DS-1's and started using the Analogman DS-1's
quiksilver98
Member
Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 am

Any idea as to where I can get one of those mods for mine?
Splish
Member
Member
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 am

quiksilver98 wrote:Any idea as to where I can get one of those mods for mine?
Check out http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php

:)

Splish
8bigtubes
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am

Splish wrote:
quiksilver98 wrote:Any idea as to where I can get one of those mods for mine?
Check out http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php

:)

Splish
If you want the DS-1 mod that Vai's been using more recently then Keelay is not what you need. You need to check out the analogman website.

Only Vai's TS9DX Flexi 4x2 is Keeley modded.
Post Reply