headstock pick holder

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
resha

#16 Post by resha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Splish wrote:haha, tell me about it, owning a 10th aniversary would be like... Well, i can't find words :wink:

Splish

Having a BFP -which is the guitar I've always wanted since the first time I've seen Her- was and still is a real blast!

I guess that having a 10th would be :roll: ...*orgasm*...

:lol:

Splish

#17 Post by Splish » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:21 pm

resha wrote:
Splish wrote:haha, tell me about it, owning a 10th aniversary would be like... Well, i can't find words :wink:

Splish

Having a BFP -which is the guitar I've always wanted since the first time I've seen Her- was and still is a real blast!

I guess that having a 10th would be :roll: ...*orgasm*...

:lol:

haha, i ithink it would be something past an orgasm... if that were possible lol! :lol:

Splish

Benjammin105

#18 Post by Benjammin105 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:46 pm

Hah of course Vai though of that first! I was going around being proud of myself because I velcroed me an allen wrench on the back of the headstock!

get a six pack in a month
Last edited by Benjammin105 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SRVoodoo

#19 Post by SRVoodoo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Thomas Nordeg deserves the credit for all thing Velcro-Vai related :wink:

Becker Ola

#20 Post by Becker Ola » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:47 am

Actually, I found a pretty good way of holding picks that doesn't require tape, velcro, or glue. If you've got all your tuners on one side, go out and buy a Dunlop pickholder. I know they're meant for micstands, but I just stretch the thing onto the back of my headstock. It works like a dream and has worked for me on both my Fender Strat and my Carvin DC-127 for nearly a year on and offstage. It may cost a little more than the plastic binder, but, I think it's worth not having to glue something onto my headstock.

resha

#21 Post by resha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:48 am

Becker Ola wrote:I think it's worth not having to glue something onto my headstock.

Well if you proceed by layers, like you would do with a sandwich, and in order from the headstock to the binder put:

1. Double sided tape
2. Glue
3. Velcro (one side)
4. Velcro (the other side)
5. Glue
6. Binder

you won't have any glue on your headstock (that's the way I did mine both for my strat and my jem indeed) and you can easily remove them if need to :wink:

SRVoodoo

#22 Post by SRVoodoo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 am

EXACTLY!!! perfect explaination too. although the Dunlop Mic clip thing sounds like a good idea as well. 8)

resha wrote:
Becker Ola wrote:I think it's worth not having to glue something onto my headstock.

Well if you proceed by layers, like you would do with a sandwich, and in order from the headstock to the binder put:

1. Double sided tape
2. Glue
3. Velcro (one side)
4. Velcro (the other side)
5. Glue
6. Binder

you won't have any glue on your headstock (that's the way I did mine both for my strat and my jem indeed) and you can easily remove them if need to :wink:

Becker Ola

#23 Post by Becker Ola » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:46 pm

Hm, seems like that would work reasonably well. However, even though the double-sided tape would be less obtrusive, there's still a possibility of sticky gunk on the headstock. Maybe I'll try it someday to get that authentic "Vai" feel, but, until then, I think the mic clip is working pretty well.

resha

#24 Post by resha » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:12 am

Becker Ola wrote:Hm, seems like that would work reasonably well. However, even though the double-sided tape would be less obtrusive, there's still a possibility of sticky gunk on the headstock. Maybe I'll try it someday to get that authentic "Vai" feel, but, until then, I think the mic clip is working pretty well.

Nah don't worry about that, you can use some lighter fluid to remove the sticky gunk :wink:

joshua202020

#25 Post by joshua202020 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:30 am

resha wrote:
Becker Ola wrote:Hm, seems like that would work reasonably well. However, even though the double-sided tape would be less obtrusive, there's still a possibility of sticky gunk on the headstock. Maybe I'll try it someday to get that authentic "Vai" feel, but, until then, I think the mic clip is working pretty well.

Nah don't worry about that, you can use some lighter fluid to remove the sticky gunk :wink:

Kerosene works best against all those sticky things.. The smell would be a bit of a problem tho..

quiksilver98

#26 Post by quiksilver98 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am

I find using the mic stand pick holders are easier.

Pejhman
Newcomer

#27 Post by Pejhman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 am

You could always just put a little bit of tape on the back of the guitar, like on the plate that covers the trem cavity. Nobody can see it that way.

Might make the picks a tiny bit sticky though, but at least it doesn't fall out. lol.

resha

#28 Post by resha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:10 am

Pejhman wrote:You could always just put a little bit of tape on the back of the guitar, like on the plate that covers the trem cavity. Nobody can see it that way.

Might make the picks a tiny bit sticky though, but at least it doesn't fall out. lol.

Yup but hot can you quickly grab one if it's there? :wink:

Pejhman
Newcomer

#29 Post by Pejhman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 am

Fairly quickly, although I do concede that it would be slower than if it were on the headstock. lol.

iGer

#30 Post by iGer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Shredded Heat wrote:Image

What about that appendage Steve has on the back of his headstock for holding the Allen keys (see the guitar on the right)? Is that glued on/screwed in?

i think we can see a screw ...