Very stupid topic... probably been covered a thousand times.

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Mr. Bluesman

Show: G3 live in Denver (2003?)
Song: Little Wing
Player: Vai
---------------------------------------
Neck pickup? Pedals?

Thanks.

PS I tried searching for info on his official site, and DiMarzio.com, but it seems to me that the neck pickup on the guitar has changed... :?
Splish

Think he was using FLO, and which case he would have a sustainer in it... Not bad sound for a sustainer eh? :wink:

Splish
leigh01

I think that a compression/sustainer pedal can also get that same sound, well thats what I use. :wink:
Splish

leigh01 wrote:I think that a compression/sustainer pedal can also get that same sound, well thats what I use. :wink:
I was making a joke... There was a sustainer thread a while back where some people said that it sounded like shit in just the regualr pick up mode :lol:

Splish
leigh01

Splish wrote:
leigh01 wrote:I think that a compression/sustainer pedal can also get that same sound, well thats what I use. :wink:
I was making a joke... There was a sustainer thread a while back where some people said that it sounded like shit in just the regualr pick up mode :lol:

Splish
I thought you mean't it in harmonic mode,
because that can give that compression sound well so i've heard. 8)
Mr. Bluesman

I still don't get it.

Isn't a sustainer supposed to "hold the note forever"? :roll: :lol:

This solo sounds pretty normal. (the part after the legato)

Or can the sustainer work both as a normal pickup and as a sustainer?
Mr. Bluesman

Forget it... I'm an idiot... :roll:

:D

I just like the tone. How come he can get a similar tone out of the bridge humbucker?
xifr

Pedals won't help you get the sound, apart from some delay.

'people say 'my amp sucks, I need to get a new pedal' when in actual fact they should be saying 'my amp sucks, I need to get a new amp.''
leigh01

xifr wrote:Pedals won't help you get the sound, apart from some delay.

'people say 'my amp sucks, I need to get a new pedal' when in actual fact they should be saying 'my amp sucks, I need to get a new amp.''
Hey dude not true pedals can help, I get the exact sound using a Boss compression/sustainer and a hefty amount of reverb and delay. 8)
Splish

I'd say the amp is the key, in response to Leigh01

Splish
leigh01

Splish wrote:I'd say the amp is the key, in response to Leigh01

Splish
mmm Maybe, I use a line6 spider2 75watter, and the clean and delay is excellent, but I still say if you want that sound use a compression/sustainer it really does make the guitar sound just like it. :)
The_Illusionist

question... youre going for the crispy clean sound right? listen to the song and try to get a hang of the timing on the delay, the use use a clean sound and a singlecoil pickup (if you have one?) it'll be difficult getting that sound from the bridge humbucker, could be possible from a humbucker in the neck, if you turn the "volume" down on your guitar to make it more gentle..
The_Illusionist

to answer the question of how steve might get the sound from his bridge humbucker (just tried it on my evh)... just turn the volume and tone on the guitar down a little bit, that got me a bit closer.. but not as good as a singlecoil or split humbucker!!