Eat em and Smile Sessions

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
newi123
Newcomer

I heard that the guitar extravaganza book lists the equipment.....

The book is very interesting & details guitars, amps, cabs & some effect settings (mainly delay)

In practice its no use at all as 'marshall amps' vary so much you can't just go and buy one like steve used - especially as it was probalbly modded anyway.

Even when you do get the extact set up of his equipment you've then got to allow for mics & mic placement...........

Eat & Smile is my favourite all time Vai playing and the tone he has is fairly standard 80's rock - bridge humbucker into marshall played loud gets close enough for me. After that its just the small question for getting the notes right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& good luck in finding a bs-1953 :D I keep searching but no luck yet....
go buy to book....
I agree - it documents some all time classic rock guitar moves :shock:

I got mine cheap on uk ebay
BadMonkey
Newcomer

Thanks newi123, I am watching one as we speak....£14.99 on uk ebay
RAR!

axeman31390 wrote:I was just messing around, considering he said dont say its in the fingers... obviously you missed my sarcasm
Ah, yes, well I apologise for going off then. :)
TheArchitect

RAR! wrote:I know that the Green Meanie Charvel was used for just about all of it.

I dont think he was using the Carvin X100B, I have one, and while it does the Flex-Able tone, it doesnt' do a very good Eat Em and Smile tone.

The Peavey JSX does a pretty nice Eat Em and Smile tone, not as good though
Doesn't "The Machines" page indicate that Steve usedd his original Zappa strat on most of that record?
RAR!

TheArchitect wrote:
RAR! wrote:I know that the Green Meanie Charvel was used for just about all of it.

I dont think he was using the Carvin X100B, I have one, and while it does the Flex-Able tone, it doesnt' do a very good Eat Em and Smile tone.

Doesn't "The Machines" page indicate that Steve usedd his original Zappa strat on most of that record?
He used the Sticker strat for the alot Zappa stuff, Flex-Able, and the Early Alcatrazz stuff. I have a Alcatrazz Live In Japan from 1984 with Steve on guitar, playing his sticker strat, as well as his blue 3 humbucker performance guitar and several others.

Eat Em and Smile was supposed to be recorded mainly with the Green Meanie.
TheArchitect

RAR! wrote:
TheArchitect wrote:

He used the Sticker strat for the alot Zappa stuff, Flex-Able, and the Early Alcatrazz stuff. I have a Alcatrazz Live In Japan from 1984 with Steve on guitar, playing his sticker strat, as well as his blue 3 humbucker performance guitar and several others.

Eat Em and Smile was supposed to be recorded mainly with the Green Meanie.
I stand corrected