Why is EVO's neck pickup mounted wrong?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Rachmaninoff

Check out this picture, from "All About Evo" section:

Look close... do you see the small "DiMarzio" logo on the neck pickup?
The neck pickup is mounted wrong, inverted!

Why?
How does it affect sound (at least in theory)?
RAR!

Its the magical secret to all of Vai's tone and talent. :shock:

Oh. . wait. . .no. . nevermind, its just flipped to correct phase polarity.

Magnets have polarity, right? Well, pickups have magnets. Sometimes the magnet polarity will fight each other, and will cancel out alot of frequencies, resulting in a very quiet, useless tone.

The solution is to flip the hot and ground wires, or simply flip the pickup around 180 degrees if you dont wanna get out the soldering iron again.

It shouldn't effect the sound, I dont think.
loran333

the old evolution (pre 96) , switch in single coil near the middle pick up.

its just flipped and when pickup is on position #2 the single coil of evolution near the neck is used.
resha

These are 2 pics I've taken to Evo during the Premium Exp. in Milan. I've never looked closer at its pu's... but I guess they're the same between the "all abut evo" session time and my pics (about a year ago) because of the very same position (a little bad alignment in the neck position).

Maybe it just feels better to Steve's ears, I don't know 'cause I'm not a pu expert and I don't even really know if the "inversion" can cause differences in sound; I think it does because of the pu's eq, but... :roll:

But now another question comes to my mind... I've bought an Evo for my Strat's bridge position and it doesn't have the DiMarzio logo on it, maybe some little savings from the actual production process?!

And so maybe mine can be inverted too?!

:P
Splish

Wow, you learn something new everyday :)

Splish
RAI

resha wrote:I've bought an Evo for my Strat's bridge position and it doesn't have the DiMarzio logo on it, maybe some little savings from the actual production process?!
I don't know what the "official" reason is for leaving the logos off, but I'm guessing it's a bit of advertising. When you buy a guitar with brand pick-ups, they want you to know what's in there. So, they put the logo on there. If you go in the store to buy a Dimarzio pick-up for your guitar, you know (obviously) what pick-up you're getting.....No need to put the name on there.
resha

RAI wrote:
resha wrote:I've bought an Evo for my Strat's bridge position and it doesn't have the DiMarzio logo on it, maybe some little savings from the actual production process?!
I don't know what the "official" reason is for leaving the logos off, but I'm guessing it's a bit of advertising. When you buy a guitar with brand pick-ups, they want you to know what's in there. So, they put the logo on there. If you go in the store to buy a Dimarzio pick-up for your guitar, you know (obviously) what pick-up you're getting.....No need to put the name on there.
Yeah, that's actually a very good reason I haven't thought about before :?
Petie

I guess it just adds a little more bass to the split neck/middle pickup selection. I just installed a neck Evo (acquired in trade) in one of my RGs and I did the old 'tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver' test to see which of the two coils was active in the split position, and I guess it's a post-96 pickup because it was the neck coil.