Favourite Vai tone?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.

Which Vai tone did/do you prefer?

Early Carvin (Flexable/Flexable left-overs)
1%
1%
1%
1%
Marshall (Passion & Warfare)
7%
7%
7%
7%
Bogner Ecstasy (Sex & Religion/Fire Garden)
7%
7%
7%
7%
Carvin Legacy (Ultra Zone/Real Illusions)
10%
10%
10%
10%

Total votes: 700
resha

FRETPICK wrote:What was Alien Love done with then? Marshall?
On ALS booklet appear Marshall, Bogner and Carvin logos so I guess it's been done with all of them
Jay3

What kind of Marshalls did Steve use on Passion and Warfare? (I love his tone on that album)
Fatal_Tragedy
Newcomer

resha wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:What was Alien Love done with then? Marshall?
On ALS booklet appear Marshall, Bogner and Carvin logos so I guess it's been done with all of them
That was my favorite. :D
slash89

Jay3 wrote:What kind of Marshalls did Steve use on Passion and Warfare? (I love his tone on that album)
Who doesn't :)
Bingefeller

Great topic here, guys.

I really like his early Flexable tone. His tone on Natural Born Boy is my personal favourite Vai tone. It's so hard for me to describe...... It's very raw sounding and expressive and it sounds to me like that song was recorded with a very loud amp in a room!
Jay3

Does anyone have any idea the type of Marshalls Steve used on Passion and Warfare?
8bigtubes

Jay3 wrote:Does anyone have any idea the type of Marshalls Steve used on Passion and Warfare?
Jose Arrendondo modded 900's and 800's
8bigtubes

werehere wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:Steve is one of the masters!!!

He could get this sounding great!!!

What was Alien Love done with then? Marshall?
I guess Alien Love Secrets sounds are Bogner Ecstasy. But i'm not sure.
ALS was recorded primarily using a Bogner XTC 100B, with the execption of Juice. Juice was recorded using a modded Marshall.
Ultraviolet

Rescue me or bury me is absolutely crystal stunning brilliant,.....but it's the only song I've heard from that album,...so I would have to say Alive in an Ultra World, the whole album,...especially the title track. My other favorite sound by him is Boston rain melody,..and the proceeding song thereafter. Many a Time I spent watching a sunrise in my kitchen, just as the two songs intersect between one-another,.....beautiful experience to behold. He's the Master.
slash89

Ultraviolet wrote:Rescue me or bury me is absolutely crystal stunning brilliant,.....but it's the only song I've heard from that album
Then run to the store tomorrow and buy a copy of Sex and Religion!! :D
leigh01

slash89 wrote:
Jay3 wrote:What kind of Marshalls did Steve use on Passion and Warfare? (I love his tone on that album)
Who doesn't :)
I don't, I love his new tone. :)
tedmaul
Newcomer

Always loved the tone on The Attitude Song myself. Really bold and raw sounding.

Particularly love the bit at the climax of the song where the drums and everything drop out and Steve comes in with those screaming bluesy bends! 8)

Great tone on Eat 'em and Smile as well.
Brent.Young
Newcomer

The Legacy tone just does it for me, it's sort of the first Vai tone I saw so to me it just seems to be the classic Vai tone, the tone just has a great feel to it.
fyrie

My favorite Vai tone is Alien Love Secrets. The whole album is great, but I specifically like the tone on Die to Live.

Is my memory lying to me or did Steve multi-amp / multi-mic on the tracks on that album? Meaning that he recorded his signal going through more than one amp at a time.
8bigtubes

fyrie wrote:My favorite Vai tone is Alien Love Secrets. The whole album is great, but I specifically like the tone on Die to Live.

Is my memory lying to me or did Steve multi-amp / multi-mic on the tracks on that album? Meaning that he recorded his signal going through more than one amp at a time.
ALS was the most stripped down album Vai has to date and his recording process was just that. Basically Bogner 100B's into 4x12 cabs and mic'ed.