Guitars for the Zappa tour

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
justfallon
Newcomer

Hi,
on the news item there's a picture of 3 guitars that steve is using for the zappa tour, i've stopped the Y2KDNA, and the VSBL and originally assumed that the one at the front was a 777VB, but on closer inspection it seems to be red with a nice flame (the one with RDNZL on it). Any ideas what this is (is it a new version of Red Lace?)

Cheers.
beyondthenotes712

Mikey wrote:It's a one-off with a piezo. The DNA is the one that has lived in the window at Guitar Center in Hollywood for some time. The blue Jem is stock.

Mikey :)
vai.com
So yeah, there you have it... It's not a flame, but it looks like a kind of hybrid sparkle/marbleized finish. Man its pretty, if they made a production version I'd buy it :wink:
slash89

beyondthenotes712 wrote:
Mikey wrote:It's a one-off with a piezo. The DNA is the one that has lived in the window at Guitar Center in Hollywood for some time. The blue Jem is stock.

Mikey :)
vai.com
So yeah, there you have it... It's not a flame, but it looks like a kind of hybrid sparkle/marbleized finish. Man its pretty, if they made a production version I'd buy it :wink:
I know! I'd buy it in a heart-beat 8)
goth_fiend

^ make that 3 of us, just add 1 or 2 more strings :wink:
Joost
Newcomer

First show yesterday in Amsterdam, and Steve was using a 7VWH !!!
:cry:
EyE

Joost wrote:First show yesterday in Amsterdam, and Steve was using a 7VWH !!!
:cry:
Come on!! We all know that "Flo" isn't a 7VWH!!
Joost
Newcomer

Yeah you're right but I was to far away to identify Flo...
sorry for callin Flo an 7vwh... :oops: I just expected one
of the guitars in the pic on Vai's newspage to be used...

By the way, yesterday night was stunning :D
EyE

ahhh!! We had a great spot!! Right infront of Steve! :wink:
Joost
Newcomer

So why isn't Steve using any of the guitars in the picture
during the tour so far (as fas as i know) :?:
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

It doesn't make a lot of sense to haul half a dozen guitars around the world for 1 hour of performance.

He's got Flo & Evo with him (and perhaps a warm up axe on the bus, but frankly, I doubt that).

J
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

He actually has the red piezo one with him on this tour, but hasn't used it on stage yet.

Mikey
vai.com
Jim_Jem777
Newcomer

He played Flo and Evo last night at the Albert Hall gig.

I knows it sounds silly, but would be cool to see Steve use some other guitars sometimes - such as before for instance at the amazing Expo '92 gig where he used the black jem 7 and then the GMC Jem, also at the Ibanez 90th anniversary gig using the 90th Anniversary HAM Jem. Especially for this kind of gig where he isn't playing a whole show of his own stuff (for which he'd probably want to use his favourite guitars) he could have taken the DNA Jem or a Jem 10??

Can you give us an insight into why he wouldn't/ doesn't do this?