JEM fretboard

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
MikeCap

Hello,
I just played a JEM for the first time. Can anyone tell me the reason that the last few frets are concaved?
Js1000

it's easier to play on the highest frets because they are 'concaved' or as we say 'scalloped'.

Look at Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar, it's scalloped entirely.

because you don't touch the wood anymore, it becomes easier to play

hope this clears it up :D
jemgirl

there`s another reason....the notes sounds better on those high frets.
thats the main reason for scalloping.
MikeCap

thanks for the info :)
razorsuppository
Newcomer

Scalloping doesn't have much to do with the sound at all, it's actually a little harder to sound better with scalloped frets. When you scallop your frets, the notes are a lot more touch sensitive. You need to a good ear to have perfect intonation because of how pressure oriented the scalloped frets are. If you press down to hard, the notes will be higher in pitch. So dynamic control is a bigger factor.
b2

Some people also say because you remove some wood you also remove some sustain.
I have read alot about scalloping and most people say it really dont
do very much. It is maybe more about the feel then the sound.
I would not buy a guitar with the complete neck been scalloped, the
main reason because I dont like the feel.
Big Bad Bill

I think I remember Steve saying he had this done to the Jem so he could really grab the strings high up and add vibrato and other articulations more convincingly
dave_777

From memory the last 4 frets were scalloped on the original Jem 1/4 inch heal joints for easier access. Since the introduction of the AANJ, the need for scalloped frets no longer exist but are kept for the purpose of nostalgia.
I read this somewhere many years ago, most likely jemsite.

Dave.
jemshredder1283

the last 4 arent scalloped on my jem (7DBK). ive justh eard it helps bring out the pitch easier, good to know tho that it can alter the pitch if touched too hard
guyver_dio

Funny, cause i just pushed the string into the scalloped frets of my jem to see if your theory was right about the notes going sharp. I pushed as hard as I could and I couldn't hear any difference in pitch. If there is any, it's very slight.

I don't see any benifits of doing it other then it's a different feeling and you can really smash ya finger into the string and bend it and manipulate it alot easier.
b2

You will not notice much pitch difference when you press hard at the
frets that high. You have to press very hard. But on a guitar with the
whole neck scalloped you can do this more easily on the lower
frets.
wadso_

I would really like my last four frets to be scalloped! I can almost not get any good tone or bend proberly on the last frets and I think that scalloping would do the trick. Am I right, or is it just my playing ability that sucks? :lol:
EyE

Like said before:
dave_777 wrote:From memory the last 4 frets were scalloped on the original Jem 1/4 inch heal joints for easier access. Since the introduction of the AANJ, the need for scalloped frets no longer exist but are kept for the purpose of nostalgia.
Jem's with an "Industrial" look don't have scalloped frets. These are the 7BSB, 7DBK, 77BRMR, 90th HAM and the 10th. The Jem555 and Jem333 also don't have scalloped frets.
ginsu777

i am pretty sure the BSB has the last 4 scalloped frets.
EyE

ginsu777 wrote:i am pretty sure the BSB has the last 4 scalloped frets.
I'm pretty pretty sure it doesn't!!! All 7BSB's i've seen don't have the scalloped frets, including mine! Just recently i got mine scalloped. But other then that, all production 7BSB didn't have it!!