steve's tone

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
ebrown

i recently bought the vox tonelab SE and i think it's a great modelling effects unit but whatever settings i put in it i can't find a really nice vai tone.

it may be because i've only had it for two weeks but does anyone have a tonelab and know how to get a good vai setting or even if you don't have one know how to get his settings?

a tone like he has on hand on heart, juice, or liberty would be a nice one, any suggestions?
mental speedin

ok i dunno how it works with that but for my POD XT live, i use:

Brit JM Pre Amp
4 x 12 treadplate Cab
Drive 10
Bass 10
Mid at about 4 or 5
Treble low
Presence 10
Volume 10
Compressor at -2 dB
Tube screamer at gain 50%, drive 20% and tone 60%
Flange 0.38 Hz, depth 10%, mix 38%
Stereo delay at 536 ms, mix at 36%
and a little reverb.

if u can do that u should be fine but it will prob be a bit different on ur pedal
lydian7

Just a little tip. Steve doesn't use any reverb, he just uses digital delay to produce a reverberated effect. Happy hunting for that perfect tone! :)
miker

No reverb... I did not know that.

http://www.carvin.com/vai/settings.php
lydian7

miker wrote:No reverb... I did not know that.

Link doesn't work. V3 looks good though. ;)]
miker

Weird...works for me. You can see his reverb is set to... *drum roll* ...0
Just like you said.
fyrie

And then if course, there is the oft asked question - do the clean settings have the bright switch on or off?
Logic

He may not use the amp reverb be I would be extraordinarily surprised if he didn't use reverb at all. There are so many rack units he has the majority of which have reverb's in them. I could be wrong but he uses everything. Even reverb.
Cesar Huesca

ebrown wrote:i recently bought the vox tonelab SE and i think it's a great modelling effects unit but whatever settings i put in it i can't find a really nice vai tone.

it may be because i've only had it for two weeks but does anyone have a tonelab and know how to get a good vai setting or even if you don't have one know how to get his settings?

a tone like he has on hand on heart, juice, or liberty would be a nice one, any suggestions?
Steve's tone come only from what I call "the guitar/amp factor", personally I think that's what we need to pay more attention when seeking a sound, trying to emulate one or trying to find our own tone.

We are in a big mistake if we think that a guitar sound comes just from a pedal or a bunch of them, guitarist like Steve and soooo many others of that style keep things quite simple, even if you see tons of gear on their rigs, the secret is that not all the pieces of gear are working at the same time.

But, is good to start by having a not-very-good guitar, but having a great amp!, it's easier to make a cheap guitar sound nice in a good amp, than trying to take out the real sound of a Custom Les Paul into a Fender Frontman or a Laney Hardcore, the Les Paul just won't do it fine through a cheap amp, no matter how good the guitar might be.

In this case Steve has reached his ultimate tone, by finding the right guitar/amp factor, JEMs and Legacys, the other gear are just there for give some color and textures to his signal, and I mean just some, 'cause his sound is never overprocessed, listen at K'm Pee Du Wee, that's the pure Vai tone, with a little of phaser in some sections and an external added delay.

You want to sound like Steve Vai? Just get a humbuckers guitar and a high gain tube amp.

You want the Steve Vai tone? Get a JEM and a Legacy. :wink:
Big Red

But, is good to start by having a not-very-good guitar, but having a great amp!, it's easier to make a cheap guitar sound nice in a good amp, than trying to take out the real sound of a Custom Les Paul into a Fender Frontman or a Laney Hardcore, the Les Paul just won't do it fine through a cheap amp, no matter how good the guitar might be.

I agree with you 100% on that. I started playing a few months ago, and I bought the bare minimum in terms of guitar (RG 320FM - well, minimum compared to the Jem) and amp (Peavey Blazer 158) solid-state, just in case I was not able to learn and progress. As I did progress, I bought a few pedals along the way (Tubescreamer TS9-DX, Boss MT-2, Digitech Whammy) to help enhance my tone, since the Peaveys stock gain sound is dreadful in comparison to the sound that is in my head. I went to the local music store last night, and plugged the same guitar that I have (RG 320) into a Roland VGA-30 (through a Digitech Whammy). Wow - what a difference (especially the Rectifier setting), the stock pick-ups sound more that adequate now. I will be rewarding myself by buying one soon, and the Peavey Amp and MT-2 are going to be sold.
jemshredder1283

cool link about his settings. Man i should try to look into getting one of his amps heheh
altruistik

lydian7 wrote:
miker wrote:No reverb... I did not know that.

Link doesn't work. V3 looks good though. ;)]

http://www.carvin.com/vai/settings.php link works for me (?)

Steve's Lead Channel Settings #1

Steve's Clean Channel Settings #2
Ant711UK

Those volume settings will blow your windows out if you don't have a power brake or something similar.
Also I'd say the reverb is off because he probably uses a rack patch for reverb in his setup.

Tony
altruistik

lydian7 wrote:Just a little tip. Steve doesn't use any reverb, he just uses digital delay to produce a reverberated effect.
Ant711UK

Hmmmm... My ears tell me there's a subtle reverb along with the delay on some of Steve's tracks though?

Tony